Microsoft to Preview Zune Replacement During E3

Options
focus
focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2012 in IllGaming
Exclusive: Microsoft to preview 'Woodstock' Xbox music service at E3
By Tom Warren on April 25, 2012 09:01 am

Microsoft is poised to preview its replacement for Zune during E3, according to a report on Polygon. The service, codenamed Woodstock, will not only be available through the Xbox 360 dashboard, but will be cross-compatible for Windows 8, Android, and iOS through a browser. It is being described by the site’s source as “Spotify-like”, and browser plugins won’t be required. It also works with Facebook by allowing followers to build group playlists and share tracks. The source also claimed it will contain a function similar to iTunes Match which will allow users to find and import their music collection into the service. The service is expected to launch with Windows 8.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/25/2973682/microsoft-xbox-live-music-service-codename-woodstock-e3-2012

Comments

• inthacut
    inthacut Members Posts: 955 ✭✭✭
    Options
    It also works with Facebook by allowing followers to build group playlists and share tracks.

^^^^i'll b using this. seems interesting though.
  • focus
    Options
    Good because Zune sucks.

Did it tho? The hardware was cheaper than the ipod and better looking, the cost of songs was cheaper than itunes, the interface was sleeker than itunes, it was compatible with the 360 so you could plug it in and play songs, and you could play your entire library from any computer...this was before cloud storage took off.

The only advantage itunes really had was those exclusive albums that they sponsored, usually live sets. And I guess ipods were "cool". But if I could do it all over again I would've copped a Zune, but once your in bed with Apple they hold your purchases hostage.

Thats why this new "Woodstock" sounds perfect.
  • focus
    edited April 2012
    Options

Ipods work on xbox.

There is software to remove restrictions.

Does Microsoft have a Zune phone that could compete with my Iphone?

-Well I guess there is "software" to do anything, but I mean just by default...and by default, Zune is the better choice for a 360 owner. That really goes without saying...they are both made by M$ after all.

-I dunno, but Google does. That's what I use and Android/Google Play is better than Apple itunes/ipod/iphone. A lot of what this "new Zune" is supposed to do, Google Play already does.

• Indy8503 HD
    Indy8503 HD Members Posts: 554
    Options
    I still use my 80GB Zune everyday and in my opinion the Zune software interface is the best and their subscription music service is great too.
  • focus
    Options
    That's what great about this...or at least how it sounds. There is no hardware involved. Well, except for the 360 you already own...or the iphone...or android or whatever. Its cross-compatible, but its a software based service. And with cloud downloads, the whole GB thing becomes non existent. Once I downloaded Google Play I stopped using an ipod altogether.
  • inthacut
    inthacut Members Posts: 955 ✭✭✭
    Options
    im with m$ on the hardware front but ? as a consumer im ? with whatever software best suits my needs and can work with my devices without giving me too much hassle... it's good to see m$ stepping it up somewhat though.