What Does Self-Respect Mean To You?

2Trill
2Trill Members Posts: 22
edited April 2012 in The Social Lounge
I'm curious about this because people seem to be confused about what self-respect is.

Without going to your favorite dictionary, when you hear self-respect, what comes to mind?

People say they respect themselves, how? Why is a female stripper, for example, displaying behavior contrary to self-respect?

Thoughts?

Comments

• Arya Tsaddiq
    Arya Tsaddiq Members Posts: 15,334 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you say self respect are you just referring to"self" as in your physical being? Or are you incorporating other factors such as ethnicity and gender?
  • 2Trill
    All of thee above I suppose.

Everyone's take on self-respect should be personal to them, as we have different values and beliefs. I'm wanting to know your guys take on the subject
  • Arya Tsaddiq
    When I think of self respect I think of being comfortable in your skin basically. Not doing anything that is self degrading and not allowing others to disrespect you. In short....

• 2Trill
    What would be classified as self degrading in your opinion? And what is your source for that judgment? Your mom? Your dad? The bible?
  • Arya Tsaddiq
    Anything that can be looked at as self destructive in a sense. So anything you can physically or mentally put yourself through that can be damaging to your whole. Such as drug abuse. Its not good for your body and can affect other areas of your life negatively. Or consciously on unconsciously hating yourself because of your physical appearance (race, skin tone, gender, ect.)

And my source for these judgements come from morals and values learned from various sources throughout life.
  • 2Trill
    What about a prostitute selling the goods.

she enjoys the sex, takes the proper precautions, and gets paid handsomely.

All positive.... Why do people see that as not having self respect? do you agree?
  • birdcallaveli
    birdcallaveli Members Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭✭
    i have self respect because i make sure i know the girls last name and the proper pronunciation of her first name before i ? her
  • Amotekun
    Amotekun Members Posts: 7,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Self respect to me is knowledge of self and the ancestors and living according to this knowledge.
  • Arya Tsaddiq
    That situation is subjective. The way you put it, it doesn't sound bad right? But that prostitute doesn't have the same morals or values as those who may view her career choice as being a result of her lacking self respect. It all depends on how you view the world and how you view yourself. Some may say women who sleep around with a lot of men for nothing lack self respect. And visa versa. Why? Because some people hold on to those values of old thinking that sex should be between two married people. And shaving alot of sexual partners outside of marraige can be chalked up to a lack of self respect or self worth.

The prostitute thing normally is looked at as women objectifying themselves or the purposes of financial gain. Basically putting a price tag on themselves. Which can be looked at as a lack of self respect as well.
  • 2Trill
    edited April 2012
    I guess you nailed in on the head, ultimately, it's all subjective.

=/

I just feel more ? should be selling their vaginas all the time. It's a good business move. And that is respect worthy IMO. Going from taking the bus to driving a BMW... degrading? That sounds like upgrading to me!
  • Arya Tsaddiq
    2Trill wrote: »
    I guess you nailed in on the head, ultimately, it's all subjective.

=/

I just feel more ? should be selling their vaginas all the time. It's a good business move. And that is respect worthy IMO. Going from taking the bus to driving a BMW... degrading? That sounds like upgrading to me!

See you have to look at it both ways tho. Think about all the stuff a prostitute has to deal with for that cash tho. Being treated like a straight ? by total strangers. Doing sexual things she normally might not do. Possibility of not being paid for services. Dealing with people with weird fetishes that may be degrading. There are alot of factors that come into play and at the end of the day you just have to look at it like is it really worth the money?

• heyslick
    heyslick Members Posts: 1,179
    IMO

Once any society loses there moral compass what does respect have to do with it? respect is just another second hand emotion.
  • riksrock
    riksrock Members Posts: 6
    Self respect means Satisfy yourself.
  • heyslick
    riksrock wrote: »

True respect means YOU have respect for more than just yourself....IMO anyone who has self serving respect tends to be egotistical.

• Da Roc
    Da Roc Members Posts: 57
    heyslick wrote: »

True respect means YOU have respect for more than just yourself....IMO anyone who has self serving respect tends to be egotistical.

Not necessarily. You can be self-serving, but not to the point where you think everyone else ain't sh*t standing next to you. I don't care for egotistical people either, but at the end of the day you gotta be comfortable in your own skin in spite of what others may say/do.

Having self-respect is giving yourself the same equal attention and honor you would give to anyone else you hold in high regard like your folks, elders, or anyone you have great respect for. Perception is reality, and how you feel about yourself is gonna be evident to people watching you. If most people see that you DO love yourself and wouldn't change a thing about yourself, most times they'll admire that and show you respect even if they don't like you personally. I can name plenty of people who rub me the wrong way in their attitudes, but my respect for them (some of them) ain't affected b/c they're real enough to be themselves and be proud of it. Not enough of that is going around these days.
  • In Your Moms Room
    In Your Moms Room Members Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sticking to your morals.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How good you treat yourself, how you let others treat you.
  • fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Respect for oneself.

I don't respect others to begin with, so "self-respect" is really the only kind of respect I can have.
  • heyslick
    Da Roc wrote: »
    heyslick wrote: »

Not necessarily. You can be self-serving, but not to the point where you think everyone else ain't sh*t standing next to you. I don't care for egotistical people either, but at the end of the day you gotta be comfortable in your own skin in spite of what others may say/do.

Having self-respect is giving yourself the same equal attention and honor you would give to anyone else you hold in high regard like your folks, elders, or anyone you have great respect for. Perception is reality, and how you feel about yourself is gonna be evident to people watching you. If most people see that you DO love yourself and wouldn't change a thing about yourself, most times they'll admire that and show you respect even if they don't like you personally. I can name plenty of people who rub me the wrong way in their attitudes, but my respect for them (some of them) ain't affected b/c they're real enough to be themselves and be proud of it. Not enough of that is going around these days.

I have self-respect and those other factors you mentioned above don't really make much difference in my world. I've reached such a plateau in my own being that I'm getting more and more respect from folks I didn't know. I'm actually stunned at times when I get so much verbal adulation - I guess my aura speaks for itself. I'm really a modest and shy/humble person and really don't like the limelight.....I guess all of that exercising and taking care of myself is coming back at me in ways I never expected,so I'll say THANKS and keep it moving. I jokingly refer to myself as being like one of them George Foreman type thing (s) IE A lean mean fat burning machine.

• JJ 1975
    JJ 1975 Members Posts: 336
    It is a relative term for sure. To me it means being someone I am proud to be. Some strippers are proud of their bodies and that they are making money and have self respect because they aren't on the streets prostituting or something worse. Ya know?