Options
2»

Comments

• Young_Chitlin
    Young_Chitlin Members Posts: 23,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    4 Tips for Loaning Money to Friends

by Tim Parker

If a friend or family member has ever asked you for money you know how awkward it is. Your money is something that you worked hard to get and your relationship with that person is important and valuable to you. You don’t want to lose your money or hurt your relationship with that person so the idea of a loan doesn’t sit well with you but helping somebody often takes precedence over sound reasoning.

If you’re going to make the loan, make it in a way that minimizes any damage to your relationship with that person. Here’s how.

Write it Down
    Asking your friend to sign a contract may seem a little bit heartless but you can always come up with a more palatable reason. You need it in writing for your taxes, your spouse would feel better about it, or be honest and say that you’ve seen friendships ruined over verbal agreements and that person is too valuable to you to lose.

Of course working with an attorney is the most thorough option but that seems a bit overkill if the loan isn’t for a substantial sum. Instead, look at sites like lawdepot.com that offer standard loan documents that you can customize to fit your needs. Still too formal? Write something out that provides the loan amount, the interest rate and the payment details. In small claims court, that will be enough.

Get Some Collateral
    Once again, it may seem a little too shady bankerish to you but remember that your money is often not yours alone. It’s your family’s money and you have more of a responsibility to them than you do to your friend. Ask your friend for collateral that is worth more than the loan. Then, go to an attorney and legally perfect the collateral. This puts the property in escrow and allows you to claim it if the person defaults.

This is appropriate for larger loans since attorney fees would make in impractical for a few hundred dollars.

Charge Interest
    Now you want to make money on the loan? What kind of friend are you? First, if you loan somebody money and it were 100% paid back to you, you still lost money while it was out of your possession so they should pay you for that. You could invest that money and make a conservative 4% each year so why shouldn’t they pay you interest?

In order to avoid gift tax issues, the IRS requires you to charge a minimum amount of interest on personal loans. Unless you’re charging a large interest rate, you’re not making money. You’re just not losing any.

Don’t Do it!
    Does all of this sound a little heartless and the act of an uncaring and untrusting friend? Good! Don’t make the loan. Making loans to friends and family often doesn’t end well. If you don’t get the money back, the relationship is severely strained, you look like the mean debt collector, and in the end, everybody loses.

If you want to help, give them the money as a gift without any expectation to pay it back. Tell them that if they want to do something in return, put that money in to a college fund for their children once finances improve.

3387202_o.gif
  • bull6599
    bull6599 Members Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    kai_valya wrote: »
    i don't ever lend money unless i'd be fine if i never got it back. you can't count on someone paying you pack

^^^this^^^

• Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    Hire me

I'll get your money back

• TheFix
    TheFix Members Posts: 778 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Either don't lend it out, or be prepared to chalk that ? when it leaves your hand. I'm a ? that moves by principles, and I find it very hard to go against rules myself in favor of you so I never loan money, if you need it, and I have it to give away, i'll just give it to you. If not, then i just tell ? I dont got it. If I feel like a ? is tryin to play me, it's gonna get ugly. Who knows how far it'll go, all that over $100? I'll take it there though because it's not about the money, it's about you playin me like a cornball. If i'm a real ? , then i'm obligated to show you otherwise.
  • mr.jamrock
    mr.jamrock Members Posts: 435 ✭✭✭
    Options
    To avoid this ever happening again do as i do. only walk with plastic when you know you got that one friend or relative that's always begging. or before they can even ask walk in with that wtf face and say damn hadd to pay this or that and damn im broke.
  • Cutty5000
    Cutty5000 Members Posts: 88 ✭✭
    Options
    mr.jamrock wrote: »
    To avoid this ever happening again do as i do. only walk with plastic when you know you got that one friend or relative that's always begging. or before they can even ask walk in with that wtf face and say damn hadd to pay this or that and damn im broke.

Either that or be like "damn, I was just about to ask you if you could help me out."

After that, they'll never ask you for anything again.

Ironic, but usually most people who go around begging don't wanna be bothered with people asking them for anything.

Probably because they think that the people who come to them are trying to get over just like they are.

• In Your Moms Room
    In Your Moms Room Members Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shoot em in the knee. Then run his pockets.
  • The Prodigalson
    The Prodigalson Members, Writer Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bust his ? up. ? owe you money and you wondering how to get it back? You ain't trill off this thread alone.
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    kai_valya wrote: »
    i don't ever lend money unless i'd be fine if i never got it back. you can't count on someone paying you pack

this here..
  • MrSoutCity
    MrSoutCity Members Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I burned a ? car for my $80 but it was a waste cause I think he got some insurance money.
  • The Prime Minister
    The Prime Minister Members Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    HyenaKilla wrote: »
    Lex Talonius aka "law of the claw" aka "eye foe an eye" sucka!!!

Lex Talionis means the law of retaliation. It would be pointless to risk getting arrested over a ? ass dude. I've already been in the clink for fighting once before. It's not worth it.