Do Africans Call Each Other ? or Any Name Derived from a Racial Pejorative?

Options

Comments

• StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I know a bunch of Somali's who use ? .

my nigerian nd senegalese ? who got young girls swallowin condoms full of heroin say ? all the time.

Word?

Do they use that talk just over here in America or is it common place in their respective countries as well?

no its not, the only ppl who use are the ones who try to emulate American black culture or have emigrated

@Black Jerry

Are you Somalian, or from another African country?

Jamaican, Haitian and Aruban. In Haiti, some ppl say "neg" which has racial implications but not like "? "
  • High Revolutionary
    High Revolutionary Members Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeah a lot of African peeps call each other '? ' primarily because the African American subculture is so influential but I'm not sure if any Africans call each other an equivalent to the pejorative in their native language.

So basically, however we move, eventually they'll turn in that direction too?

That's an interesting factor, that such a relatively small population of people can influence a much larger population.

Yup. I know you saw the brotha from London on here trying to convince the IC how 'hood' the UK was.

Umar Johnson, in one of his lectures, was talking about how African Americans have to be mindful of their actions because they have the rest of the black world following their trends.
  • Kushington
    Kushington Members Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So africans commit genocide, use child soldiers and cut off womens ? , but the n word should be off limits?
  • Amotekun
    Amotekun Members Posts: 7,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @kushington

is genocide, child soldiers and female circumcision part of every african countries' custom
  • TheBadOne
    TheBadOne Members Posts: 155 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I saw a nollywood movie where they said ? .
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kushington wrote: »
    So africans commit genocide, use child soldiers and cut off womens ? , but the n word should be off limits?

wtf are u talking about
  • High Revolutionary
    High Revolutionary Members Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Africans commit those crimes for much of the same reason African Americans commit the crimes they do here in the states. Anyway I wasn't saying the n-word should be off limits for Africans. I don't care for the word and don't really use it but I'm not going to act like abolishing it is going to suddenly make all of black peoples problems go away.

• Kushington
    edited April 2012
    Options

wtf are u talking about

The assumption that an african has a higher standard of morality based on not using the n word. That was obviously implied in my post, but i guess you needed an explanation.
  • Amotekun
    Options
    Lil Loca wrote: »
    Um, I was in abroad in Botswana for 4 months and ? is a common term used there by people in my age group. Globalization and African American influence is abundant in the slang, music, and clothing. Our culture in the United States is exported around the globe, so what did you think the answer was?

I didn't know what the answer was which is why I asked the question. I didn't want to presume anything either way. I knew that American Blacks are the richest group of Africans on the planet so it goes without question that our culture would have some impact in the motherland. Just how much I was uncertain.
  • d.green
    d.green Members Posts: 12,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2012
    Options
    True story: I visited Kenya and a dude called me a ? . He basically said something like "yo ? " but i could tell he wasnt trying to be rude or anything. He thought i was going to laugh and all but i used it as a teaching moment :-)
    These dudes thought they were cool. This was like 2006. They had nicknames like Tony Yayo, Dennis the Menace and stuff like that. some of them definitely listen to and are influenced by mainstream rappers.
  • Amotekun
    Options
    d.green wrote: »
    True story: I visited Kenya and a dude called me a ? . He basically said something like "yo ? " but i could tell he wasnt trying to be rude or anything. He thought i was going to laugh and all but i used it as a teaching moment :-)
    These dudes thought they were cool. This was like 2006.
    They had nicknames like Tony Yayo, Dennis the Menace and stuff like that.
    congrats dun. How did the bredren receive what you had to say?
  • d.green
    d.green Members Posts: 12,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

He received it well. I think at first he was shocked that i had a problem with it.
    It was kind of sad to travel to Africa and be called a ? but he was the only one i heard it from.
  • Amotekun
    Options
    Yeah a lot of African peeps call each other '? ' primarily because the African American subculture is so influential but I'm not sure if any Africans call each other an equivalent to the pejorative in their native language.

That's an interesting factor, that such a relatively small population of people can influence a much larger population.

Yup. I know you saw the brotha from London on here trying to convince the IC how 'hood' the UK was.

Umar Johnson, in one of his lectures, was talking about how African Americans have to be mindful of their actions because they have the rest of the black world following their trends.

This is true. I don't have a problem if Africans use the word, tho.

I have a problem with it though. I firmly believe words have power, and if a man accepts a label he will take on the characteristics of that label.
    Although I know most duns say they use ? like it aint no thang it's just a word, you can use it on anybody for any occasion. True enough, you can call a white boy a ? or a asian dun a ? , but I don't think it has an effect until they accept that identity.
    Watch dudes of any race that accept that label ? and watch their behavior, their mannerisms, they wildin out all the time over goofy ? too, especially these youngins.

? is a label a title just like every other word, and just like every title it carries certain expectations of behaviors

King
    Lord
    Boss
    Don
    Queen
    Capo
    Fool
    ?

List goes on, but I think the point is clear. Each title has an expected manner of behavior. You expect a King to act like a King, a Boss to act like a Boss so on and so forth. What is a ? supposed to act like?
  • Amotekun
    Options

He received it well. I think at first he was shocked that i had a problem with it.
    It was kind of sad to travel to Africa and be called a ? but he was the only one i heard it from.

I remember that Richard Pryor stand up after he came back from Africa. He talked about his experience there and how all these Africans and not one ? , he swore off saying or using it in his material. I'm not sure if he stuck to that vow but that was the first time I heard that perspective on the word.
  • Kushington
    edited April 2012
    Options

I have a problem with it though. I firmly believe words have power, and if a man accepts a label he will take on the characteristics of that label.
    Although I know most duns say they use ? like it aint no thang it's just a word, you can use it on anybody for any occasion. True enough, you can call a white boy a ? or a asian dun a ? , but I don't think it has an effect until they accept that identity.
    Watch dudes of any race that accept that label ? and watch their behavior, their mannerisms, they wildin out all the time over goofy ? too, especially these youngins.

? is a label a title just like every other word, and just like every title it carries certain expectations of behaviors

King
    Lord
    Boss
    Don
    Queen
    Capo
    Fool
    ?

List goes on, but I think the point is clear. Each title has an expected manner of behavior. You expect a King to act like a King, a Boss to act like a Boss so on and so forth. What is a ? supposed to act like?

Still don't care if Black people use it amongst themselves. Oppressed people have the right to use words that have used as a weapon against them and transform its meaning for their group. Besides, I care less about what we call ourselves than how we act. Not every dude that walks around with a kufi and calls dudes King is practicing what he preaches. Not every dude who says ? is lost. It ain't in black and white.

The meaning has not transformed. Its the same exact word.
  • Amotekun
    Options

King
    Lord
    Boss
    Don
    Queen
    Capo
    Fool
    ?

Still don't care if Black people use it amongst themselves. Oppressed people have the right to use words that have used as a weapon against them and transform its meaning for their group. Besides, I care less about what we call ourselves than how we act. Not every dude that walks around with a kufi and calls dudes King is practicing what he preaches. Not every dude who says ? is lost. It ain't in black and white.

quoted for emphasis. the word never changed meaning.

There is an association with what you call yourself and the behavior you exhibit and expect from people.

If you are callin another black man a ? just for gp then you are lost because you don't understand the gravity of the word.
  • Kushington
    Options

King
    Lord
    Boss
    Don
    Queen
    Capo
    Fool
    ?

That's your opinion. I still say people who the word oppresses has the right to use it in their community if they feel like it. Women use the word ? with each other. ? use the word ? and ? in their own circles. It doesn't bother me at all.

Its not my opinion, its fact. Just because a group of people feel such a lack of regard for themselves to use their own slurs for each other, doesnt mean the word's meaning has changed.
  • Amotekun
    edited April 2012
    Options
    @Lil Loca

Don't matter what you call it. The science is real.

Words have power ? .
  • fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2012
    Options
    So what does this mean for the Africans who use demonym with "racist" etymologies?

Are Ethiopians calling each other "burnt faced" out chea?
  • Amotekun
    Options

King
    Lord
    Boss
    Don
    Queen
    Capo
    Fool
    ?

That's your opinion. I still say people who the word oppresses has the right to use it in their community if they feel like it. Women use the word ? with each other. ? use the word ? and ? in their own circles. It doesn't bother me at all.

Its not my opinion, its fact. Just because a group of people feel such a lack of regard for themselves to use their own slurs for each other, doesnt mean the word's meaning has changed.

No, it really is just your opinion. I'm one of the most militant ? you'll ever meet in real life and let the word ? flow freely from my mouth without hesitation. I feel oppressed people have that right.

What good is it to be militant when you're pointing the gun in your own face?

There is nothing constructive about that word
  • Amotekun
    Options
    @Lil Loca

Don't matter what you call it. The science is real.

Words have power ? .

Yep, as soon as someone disagrees with you, all your Black power and unity ? goes out the window. Hypocrite.

Not really I was just showing you something. Your whole attitude changed when I called you a ? . You may not take on the identity of ? , but it still effected you. ? lives on that same boat.
  • Kushington
    Options

King
    Lord
    Boss
    Don
    Queen
    Capo
    Fool
    ?

No, it really is just your opinion. I'm one of the most militant ? you'll ever meet in real life and let the word ? flow freely from my mouth without hesitation. I feel oppressed people have that right.

Are you familiar with the word hypocrisy?

You think you have to right to disrespect people based on your "militant" mindset? Smh at you actually believing you will get anywhere with your militancy referring to your own as ? , in fact its people like you that make black militants nothing more than a mockery of what it actually stood for in the past. Kim jong un would never refer to his people as chinks, the president of israel would never refer to his people as ? , the president of mexico would never refer to his people as wetbacks.

The n word was created to dehumanize blacks. Bottom line. And its literally only your opinion if you think otherwise.
  • Amotekun
    Options
    @Lil Loca

I'm not tryin to beef I'm just trying to make a point.

You say you militant, you down for the cause. That's great. In order for the militancy to be effective we gotta have certain inalienable truths about the issues.

One of them is the word ? . That word has got to go out the lexicon. It in no way implies or manufactures brotherhood only savagery.
  • Amotekun
    Options

King
    Lord
    Boss
    Don
    Queen
    Capo
    Fool
    ?

You think you have to right to disrespect people based on your "militant" mindset? Smh at you actually believing you will get anywhere with your militancy referring to your own as ? , in fact its people like you that make black militants nothing more than a mockery of what it actually stood for in the past. Kim jong un would never refer to his people as chinks, the president of israel would never refer to his people as ? , the president of mexico would never refer to his people as wetbacks.

The n word was created to dehumanize blacks. Bottom line. And its literally only your opinion if you think otherwise.

I know the history of the word. Black people using it towards each other shouldn't be anyone's primary issue. Mafuckas are worried about a ? word when there's police violence, poverty, sexually transmitted diseases, poor education that you need to be worrying. It's a fake issue that distracts ? from actual ? that you need to be concerned about.

I disagree. All these issues are symptomatic of powerlessness among the people, those subject to the whimsy of another. Our powerlessness in particular in rooted in our forgotten identity. Knowledge of self.

There is power in being assured of who you are. Our ancestors were stripped of culture over time and forceably new identities imposed on them, one of those identities being ? .

If we are to rid ourselves of these afflictions poverty, police brutality, disease, miseducation then we need to regain our power.

I understand ma you don't think I'm real. That's cool. Because not everyone who says they are down for the cause is down for the people at all. Perhaps overtime situation will arise that I show and prove.
  • Kushington
    Options

King
    Lord
    Boss
    Don
    Queen
    Capo
    Fool
    ?

I know the history of the word. Black people using it towards each other shouldn't be anyone's primary issue. Mafuckas are worried about a ? word when there's police violence, poverty, sexually transmitted diseases, unemployment, poor education that needs your attention. It's a fake issue that distracts ? from actual ? that you need to be concerned about. The NAACP taking a whole day to bury that word was complete pointless ? , were they ? kidding? Lame as hell.

Do you actually know how important words are? They vocalize a human's state of mind.

Your ignorance amazes me. I seriously hope you're trolling right now, because if you acutally believe the ? youre typing, you are a total ? and are useless to any progress the black community can ever hope to achieve. In fact youre a hindrance to any progress.