Do Africans Call Each Other ? or Any Name Derived from a Racial Pejorative?

13»

Comments

• Amotekun
    Amotekun Members Posts: 7,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lil Loca wrote: »
    @Public

You're preaching to the choir. I know all that. Over time, I've learned to pick and choose my battles. And Black people using ? is just not something I'm worried about. There's other important ? that needs my immediate attention that people need to talk about. Move people to actual action first, and then you can start to make an impact and change of heart about what or what not to use in vocabulary. Right now, telling Black folk to not use ? isn't realistically going to solve anything. NAACP failed at that because they don't do any action besides talking and being immobile on issues that are actually of great importance.

I understand where you comin from ma and you are right. Black people can stop callin each other ? tomorrow and we still gonna have 2 tons of other problems to deal with.

One of the ways you get people to deal with the issues is you have to feed them. A lot of folks out here are just hungry. In order to even get people to talk about the disease and the education and police brutality you gotta take care of the most base need and thats the stomach. Feed people that good food then you can start feedin their spirit with solutions to all these issues.

With issues of police brutality, one dun dropped a thread last week sometime detailing the different court decisions that favored citizens defending themselves against police action. i wrote that info down. As scholarly as I am, i couldn't find that info out anywhere, and I purposefully searched for it. How much does the average person just tryin to make it through the day not know or care why they should know.

Education, Black folks have got to understand the importance of investing in their children's education and stop relying on the state sanctioned education system. It's been ? us up. We need our own schools teachng our own curricula with teachers who care about our kids as much as we do.
  • Kushington
    Kushington Members Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2012
    Lil Loca....

Here's the difference between me and you: I DONT PROCLAIM TO BE A PRO-BLACK MILITANT. I am an individual. I consider my successes, as well as any shortcomings, as a product of my own efforts, abilities, and choices. Even assuming I too am as oppressed as you claim to be, that has no bearing on how I conduct myself. I see you in the same way as a normal white person sees a Neo-? /white supremacist, a misguided individual adopting a collective mindset, a "herd" mentality. Discrimination, prejudice, and racism do indeed exist, and I may or may not have been affected by it, but I dont dwell on it like you do, because that is counterproductive to my personal existence.
  • Kushington
    Kushington Members Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lil Loca wrote: »
    Kushington wrote: »
    Lil Loca....

Here's the difference between me and you: I DONT PROCLAIM TO BE A PRO-BLACK MILITANT. I am an individual. I consider my successes, as well as any shortcomings, as a product of my own efforts, abilities, and choices. Even assuming I too am as oppressed as you claim to be, that has no bearing on how I conduct myself. I see you in the same way as a normal white person sees a Neo-? /white supremacist, a misguided individual adopting a collective mindset, a "herd" mentality. Discrimination, prejudice, and racism do indeed exist, and I may or may not have been affected by it, but I dont dwell on it like you do, because that is counterproductive to my personal existence.

You're rambling now. So what I'm getting is, you sit in an ivory tower, try to tell other Black people that they are a disgrace to the community, then retreat like a little ? when you are questioned about your own actions offline. Figures. Sounds like you have personal problems that don't concern me.

The bolded is laughable and a simile that doesn't make any logical sense. So you don't find time to care about actual issues that affect black folks in their daily lives, like racism and systematic violence, but you find time to be concerned about word that Black people use that somehow effects you, even though you're such an individual, right? Makes perfect sense.

What didnt you comprehend when I said I dont give a ? about the community? I have never claimed to.

You are a hypocrite because you claim to give a ? , but then you see no problem with using words that are solely intended to demean black people.

Im just pointing out your contradiction, yet you dont seem to understand. But we can agree to disagree though.
  • edwardnigma
    edwardnigma Members Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well I'm Sudanese and Haitian and ? we say ? all the time.

History lesson! Back in the days before Vowels, Ethiopians/Sudanese ,Egyptians and Libyans called each other NGR.

Look it up, learn about yaselves.
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was taking my kids to their bus stop one morning and a group of high schoolers were sitting around talking and using '? ', there's an African family that lives where the kids were, the man who lives there comes out every morning and sits in the patio. After I was done taking my kids to their stop, I came back and he was lecturing them about how that word is disrespectful. I didn't stay to listen, it's none of my business. I think it's safe to say they probably don't.
  • Amotekun
    So my feeling is that Africans are just as mixed on that word as Africans in America.

@Kushington:

I see where you are coming from dun. However I disagree with some of your posts. Your success and achievements didn't come off your own steam. Our ancestors collectively put up a fight to attempt at cutting a smoother path. Indeed the path is a little less rocky, but as one who has made it, the fight didn't start with you and it shouldn't end with you.
    The white supremacist system we live in today is as sentient as it is amorphous. Sure you feel you are good today, but do you know what they have in store tomorrow? What about your progeny? SHould you have children or already do what of their lineage.
    The system we live in does not care about individuals making it, so long as the self stays the primary concern. This system is geared towards operating against the collective, against establishing a lineage of success among the common black masses. Though it may not get you, yet. What of the man next you, or behind you or your sons, and their seed?
    It doesn't have to get you to neutralize you, all it needs is the opportunity to grab your seed somewhere down the line in a myriad of traps.
    Whether you agree with it or not you have obligation to the collective. Not necessarily to every broke brotha out there, but you owe to either enlighten or cut a smoother path to enlightenment and to be a reminder of what all the ancestors have done, and what still needs to be done.
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @edwardnigma NGR is not the same as "? ", and I agree that words have power and the word has not changed meaning. Also, why should we content in using a white man's word to describe ourselves. I look at my father's generation and they use words like "blood", "rasta", "brother", "brethren" and then look at my generation who are content to describe ourselves as "? ". smh
  • Amotekun
    @edwardnigma NGR is not the same as "? ", and I agree that words have power and the word has not changed meaning. Also, why should we content in using a white man's word to describe ourselves. I look at my father's generation and they use words like "blood", "rasta", "brother", "brethren" and then look at my generation who are content to describe ourselves as "? ". smh

c/s the emboldened. It's such an obvious L.