Does voting for a marriage protection amendment mean that you don't care about kids and women?

Options
Matt-
Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2012 in The Social Lounge
north carolina is set to vote on an amendment to the state constitution. the amendment reads:
Marriage between one man and one woman is the only domestic legal union that shall be valid or recognized in this State.

the state law already says that a man-women marriage is the only marriage recognized by the state.

now we are voting on the is amendment on may 8th.

opponents of the amendment say that if it is passed, women will not be able to protect themselves against men they have restraining orders againsts. They say that children willl be taken out of homes and placed up for adoption.. Other parents may lose visitation or custody rights.

my question is, are these concerns legitimate. And since the state already has the law on the books outlawing ? marriage, why would the amendment change anything about kids and women? It seems to me that everything would remain the same, the only thing the amendment would do is prevent the courts from overturning the law thats already on the books.

Comments

• The Prodigalson
    The Prodigalson Members, Writer Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If the state law is marriage between one man and one women. What happens when a couple of the same sex that is married move to that state? Is it illegal to be married to the same sex while living in NC or is it they won't marry them? If it is illegal what is th law that pertains to same sex couples? Would they be jailed? I for one don't think the government federal or local should be making laws according to their belief or the bible.
  • Matt-
    Options
    If the state law is marriage between one man and one women. What happens when a couple of the same sex that is married move to that state? Is it illegal to be married to the same sex while living in NC or is it they won't marry them? If it is illegal what is th law that pertains to same sex couples? Would they be jailed? I for one don't think the government federal or local should be making laws according to their belief or the bible.

i don't think the bible is a part of the law. and the state law says it doesn't recognize a ? marriage even if they were married in another state.

but thats not really what this is about.

people are saying that if you vote against the amendment (not changing the law) then you are causing children to be taken from homes, domestic orders of protection willl no longer be granted to women, and other stuff like that. I believe 30 states have a similar consitutional amendment and i dont think things like that are going on in those states
  • Matt-
    Options
    And would I be wrong in saying that the government discriminates against polygamists or underage people when it comes to marriage?