Obama after 3 years...

TheIraq
TheIraq Members Posts: 5,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2012 in The Social Lounge
Give a grade on his presidency and what you think he can do better on.... After 3 years are you satisfied with your vote if you voted for Obama? What could he do better? Do you think Obama will have the same volume of votes he had in 2008 from African Americans?

Comments

• kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2012
    I give Obama a C-. I'm not satisfied with him as President and he's way too much like George W Bush for my liking. I'd vote for him if he wasn't such a bloodthirsty warmonger who loves spending money like monopoly money. He's too much of a coward when it comes to fighting Republicans, his extension of the Bush tax cuts further bankrupted the country, as well as extending the amount of money and lives to the failed Afghan war. I'm done with him and he's lost my vote forever.

As far as the African-American vote, I guarantee it will be much less Blacks voting for him in 2008. He'll still win the Black vote, but only because Republicans are much worse than he is.
  • kingblaze84
    I'd also like it if Obama would decriminalize marijuana and stop the DOJ from ? rushing medicinal marijuana shops, which create thousands of jobs nationwide.......just my two cents.
  • TheIraq
    TheIraq Members Posts: 5,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So he's getting a second term by default because republicans have nothing to offer
  • kingblaze84
    Pretty much Iraq......Obama is lucky the competition is weak as ? . If the economy gets any worse though, he'll be in deep trouble. I don't hear much support for Obama anymore, and I live in the bluest of blue states in NY. Come election day though, I have a feeling his supporters will come out for some reason. Will it be enough to win? IDK to be honest, it's a toss up at this point.
  • Darkcrusader3.0
    Darkcrusader3.0 Members Posts: 153
    I would give him a C grade wise.....I did not vote for him last year(actually I didnt vote at all)....I think he will lose
  • WhiteShoesATL
    WhiteShoesATL Members Posts: 28
    I give him a C+
    He needs to push back against the tea party repubs in congress. there is no middle ground with someone who hates you and said before you took office that "I hope you fail and will see to it that you will."

Also, he started more wars... which disappointed me.

Nonetheless, he's got my vote! not everyone is perfect and fake romney scares me. He's Nixon 2.0
  • ascen2012
    ascen2012 Members Posts: 14
    Obama at best would get a C.
  • Cabana_Da_Don
    Cabana_Da_Don Members Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How come americans blame obama for the economy.That ? has nothing to do with him.
  • kingblaze84
    edited May 2012
    How come americans blame obama for the economy.That ? has nothing to do with him.

Um you're joking right? Obama has a lot of control over the economy, look at what he spends money on with Congress' support, neverending wars and his support of the Bush tax cuts further bankrupted the country and has made inflation a living nightmare for millions. Inflation is one of the reasons the economy is not doing very well now, it lowers the purchase power of the dollar, and is also the reason so many can't save much at the end of the week. I understand Obama doesn't have total control of course, but he still has some power over it and so far, his economic policies have been subpar at best. If more money was spent on social programs and bailing out the middle class instead of war, the Pentagon, and bailing out Wall Street at taxpayer expense, the economy would be doing better.

The economy would also be doing better if he stopped the DOJ from prosecuting medicinal marijuana shops all over the nation, shops that employ thousands nationwide. Obama could also fight to legalize marijuana and further improve the economy but hey, I don't expect a president who is a ? to take steps like this.
  • Soloman_The_Wise
    Soloman_The_Wise Members Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • kingblaze84
    Serious question to Obama fans, why has the DEMOCRATIC Senate failed to support Obama's budget for 4 years now?? I know there aren't many Obama fans in this forum anymore, but I hope at least some of ya'll can answer this question. Cuz honestly, even I don't know why Democrats won't support Obama's budget......

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/inside-politics/2012/may/16/obama-budget-defeated-99-0-senate/

President Obama's budget suffered a second embarrassing defeat Wednesday, when senators voted 99-0 to reject it.

Coupled with the House's rejection in March, 414-0, that means Mr. Obama's budget has failed to win a single vote in support this year.

Republicans forced the vote by offering the president's plan on the Senate floor.

Democrats disputed that it was actually the president's plan, arguing that the slim amendment didn't actually match Mr. Obama's budget document, which ran thousands of pages. But Republicans said they used all of the president's numbers in the proposal, so it faithfully represented his plan.

Sen. Jeff Sessions, Alabama Republican, even challenged Democrats to point out any errors in the numbers and he would correct them — a challenge no Democrats took up.

"A stunning development for the president of the United States in his fourth year in office," Mr. Sessions said of the unanimous opposition.

The White House has held its proposal out as a "balanced approach" to beginning to rein in deficits. It calls for tax increases to begin to offset higher spending, and would begin to level off debt as a percentage of the economy by 2022. It would produce $6.4 trillion in new deficits over that time.

By contrast the chief Republican alternative from the House GOP would notch just $3.1 trillion in deficits, and three Senate Republican alternatives would all come in below $2 trillion.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    same reason why people blamed Bush for the economy... or gave Clinton credit for the economy: it's easier than trying to understand that there's a limit to what the president can do. people think they're wizards who cast spells that "pass laws" and "make gas cheap" and "whatever other random thing i think they promised."
  • Cabana_Da_Don
    Cabana_Da_Don Members Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    janklow wrote: »
    same reason why people blamed Bush for the economy... or gave Clinton credit for the economy: it's easier than trying to understand that there's a limit to what the president can do. people think they're wizards who cast spells that "pass laws" and "make gas cheap" and "whatever other random thing i think they promised."

? are ? idiots.They don´t understand that the world is globalized.Your economy dependes on other peoples economy.It´s like a web.Some ? you can´t provent.Some ? you can.Plus what dictates the economy is the fact that everyone needs to be on the same page.Obama could be a genius in economy but if they want to make him look bad they will.They rich they don´t care if you´re doing good.They just want more power.If Obama is a C wtf was Bush a F-.
  • akomax
    akomax Members Posts: 483 ✭✭✭
    condoning ? behaviors in a country where " in ? we trust", just to get reelected is a summary of his presidency ...
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    reaperbong wrote: »
    As Commander in Chief I give the man an A+. He made the right decisions that got OBL merked, the only war he entered into was won without us putting troops on the ground and while playing a support role to NATO, and he got us out of Iraq. Also I like his increased usage of armed UAV's to conduct strikes in Afghanistan/Pakistan.

As President I give him a B+. He saved our auto industry, made good fiscal reforms and tightened regulation on wall street doing his best to turn around the economy. it will take time to see a full recovery and not much more could have been done to improve things in just 3 years considering the impact of globalization. if China was reporting better numbers and the EU wasn't in constant crises due to Greece, you best believe the US economy would be a different story right now. My major beef is his policies against medical (or otherwise) cannabis and his lack of action to change drug policy, if it wasn't for that I'd give the man an A. Hoping to see him turn a corner on drug policy in his second term.

this
  • janklow
    reaperbong wrote: »
    As Commander in Chief I give the man an A+. He made the right decisions that got OBL merked, the only war he entered into was won without us putting troops on the ground and while playing a support role to NATO, and he got us out of Iraq. Also I like his increased usage of armed UAV's to conduct strikes in Afghanistan/Pakistan.
    a little of this is cheating because the Iraq withdrawal started before Obama and he didn't really get us into and out of a war. but obviously, you could argue NOT getting us into a war is points in his favor.

obviously the hunt for OBL precedes him as well, but i think he gets to own that ? .
  • tikingjcoleprince
    tikingjcoleprince Members Posts: 81
    B.

The economy wasn't his fault, and he did improve it, but he could have done more. Ex: the stimulus package should have had less tax cuts, and increased government spending.
    The economy would also be doing better if he stopped the DOJ from prosecuting medicinal marijuana shops all over the nation, shops that employ thousands nationwide. Obama could also fight to legalize marijuana and further improve the economy but hey, I don't expect a president who is a ? to take steps like this.

I hate when people say this. Own up to why you want marijuana legalized: because you want to enjoy using it. There's nothing wrong with that. But saying that legalizing marijuana will be some sort of economic cure-all and will create enough jobs to revitalize america is ? . Even if, as you say, it will create "thousands" of jobs, that is nothing. Obama has created 4 million jobs so far and look where the nation is.
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Trockm
    Trockm Members Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭✭
    C ? minus.... ? I'm paying damn near 5 dollars for a pack of blacks now.... ? that ?
  • heyslick
    heyslick Members Posts: 1,179
    F & that letter defines him in more ways than just grade wise.
  • janklow
    Sion. wrote: »
    - killed several dictators and worldwide terrorists (something his predecessor could not do)
    - ended the war & pulled the troops outta Iraq
    i have to point out, since you mentioned the predecessor thing, that Obama should not be getting the degree of credit for ending Iraq that you're giving him. this is stuff that Bush II kicked off.

also, wait, what dictators did he ? ?
  • Washington_Red
    Washington_Red Members Posts: 255
    B-

Killed Osama
    Put the economy on the road to recovery
    Kept Israel & the Neo Cons from warmongering us into another endless Mideast conflict
    Attempted to improve our health care system (pending)
    Came out in support (reluctantly) of ? marriage
    Spent less than any President in our lifetime, despite the media deception

wjs-chart-presidential-spending-shifts-dates.jpg

here's a chart dummies

Really, his performance was C, but he's had to deal with sabotage from his own party (Blue Dogs, misc. Dems & ex-Presidents), the most impotent Congress & Senate of my lifetime, racism, birthers, an incompetent media, & global economic collapse.

I'm voting for him again, considering the alternative is a return to economic malpractice and military adventurism via Mitt Romney and his team of ex-Bush folks.

I strongly encourage those of you who are socially minded to find a reason to vote for Obama in November even if you have to hold your nose while you do it.

Here's 2 really important ones:

The next President will be able to select at least 1 Supreme Court Justice, if not 2 of them. Supreme Court Justices serve for life and if you've been paying attention to what this Conservative Court has done to our Democracy since the Bush v Gore decision, this should be a huge concern.

Also, the next President will determine our course of action in Iran. Considering that we are still in Afghanistan & Iraq and our military is exhausted from the longest stretch of fighting in US history, this would be the key issue in the election any other year.
  • Soloman_The_Wise
    Soloman_The_Wise Members Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    janklow wrote: »
    Sion. wrote: »
    - killed several dictators and worldwide terrorists (something his predecessor could not do)
    - ended the war & pulled the troops outta Iraq
    i have to point out, since you mentioned the predecessor thing, that Obama should not be getting the degree of credit for ending Iraq that you're giving him. this is stuff that Bush II kicked off.

also, wait, what dictators did he ? ?

He(sion) is Canadian...
  • desertrain10
    desertrain10 Members Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2012
    i would give him a B.... really don't care for his stance on afghanistan and i wish he'd taken a stronger stance when it came to healthcare reform.... but he's done ok...

-killed osama, even after bush decided his capture was not a priority

-he signed in the fair sentencing act, which reduced the disparity between the amount of ? ? and powder ? needed to trigger certain federal criminal penalties ....

-repealed "don't as, don't tell" ...

-signed the lilly ledbetter fair pay restoration act, making progress in a decades-long battle for women to get equal pay for equal work....

-signed the claims resolution act of 2010...

-the economy is moving in the right direction...he oversaw the creation of more jobs in 2010 alone than bush did in eight years

-helped to save the auto industry, when most people wanted the fed to allow GM to fail...which saved millions of jobs. and now GM is again the top car company in the world.

-made it so that banks could no longer use YOUR money to invest in high-risk financial instruments that work against their own customers' interests....

-created a bureau within the Federal Reserve to regulate consumer financial products like mortgages and credit cards

-oversaw expansion of the Pell grants program, to expand opportunity for low income students to go to college

-fought to keep the middle class from having to pay higher taxes ...

really he's accomplished quite a bit. especially considering republicans have obstructed much of his agenda through an unprecedented use of the filibuster

people's expectations were just to high and the country was in so much of a mess that no one noticed or cared to notice what he did accomplish.... i'm voting for him again *shrugs*