Ladies...... What are the pro's and cons of wearing your hair natural?

Options

Comments

• SixSickSins
    SixSickSins Members Posts: 8,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    kai_valya wrote: »
    i totally disagree with the bolded. chemically damaging your hair thru relaxers is one thing, but how is me using a flat or curling iron self-hate? how is that any different from white girls with curly hair that use those styling tools

It isn't.
    also i think people have this notion that all black people have the same type of hair, we don't (just like people tend to think all africans are dark skinned) so they assume that if someone doesn't have what they consider "typical" black hair that means that person is using relaxers or whatever. i couldn't grow an afro no matter how hard i tried, with my hair texture and type is just not possible. this idea that if a chick isn't rocking dreads or an afro that she somehow hates herself or is less black is really dangerous and divisive imo

I am not one of those people; Black people have the most diverse hair of all imo. Yah, you're not getting anything remotely close to an Afro with your loose texture. Where did I say no dreads/afro meant hate? Nowhere, so don't incorporate your supplemented, false interpretation into my post. I merely stated the obvious: heat & chemicals are damaging to hair, the latter more so.

lulz.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Legend in Two Sports Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    what type of natural products do u ladies use on your hair, is Carols Daughter overrated ?
  • UPTOWN
    UPTOWN Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 13,009 Regulator
    Options
    I LOVE my natural hair. Sadly, most Black women are ignorant to how to care for it properly. A common misconception is that our hair is unmanageable & does not grow but it does; women just put stupid relaxers in it which cause it to break off at the same rate it's growing thus no change in length retention.

Most Black women, consciously or inadvertently, keep their hair chemically or heat straightened to assimilate and fit in with eurocentric ideals and I'm not down with that. It's a form of self hate if you think about it.

No relaxers=no wasted $ on caustic chemicals on your head. The healthiest choice. Indisputable.

It's versatile. I can wear a twist out or braidout or Afro, or puff.

The detangling is the only thing I hate to do but I wouldn't switch it for the world.
    i love this woman ...........

• UPTOWN
    Options
    I LOVE my natural hair. Sadly, most Black women are ignorant to how to care for it properly. A common misconception is that our hair is unmanageable & does not grow but it does; women just put stupid relaxers in it which cause it to break off at the same rate it's growing thus no change in length retention.

Most Black women, consciously or inadvertently, keep their hair chemically or heat straightened to assimilate and fit in with eurocentric ideals and I'm not down with that. It's a form of self hate if you think about it.

No relaxers=no wasted $ on caustic chemicals on your head. The healthiest choice. Indisputable.

It's versatile. I can wear a twist out or braidout or Afro, or puff.

The detangling is the only thing I hate to do but I wouldn't switch it for the world.

i totally disagree with the bolded. chemically damaging your hair thru relaxers is one thing, but how is me using a flat or curling iron self-hate? how is that any different from white girls with curly hair that use those styling tools

also i think people have this notion that all black people have the same type of hair, we don't (just like people tend to think all africans are dark skinned) so they assume that if someone doesn't have what they consider "typical" black hair that means that person is using relaxers or whatever. i couldn't grow an afro no matter how hard i tried, with my hair texture and type is just not possible. this idea that if a chick isn't rocking dreads or an afro that she somehow hates herself or is less black is really dangerous and divisive imo
    see this is where the topic tends to get sensitive for some women. and this part of the topic is a good place to stop have a convo on for now so we can all learn from each others thoughts and experiences

@ kai ... if a white girl has curlier hair, and she straightens it, that actually can be attributed to moving as far away from being anything even close to black as possible. so that would be a little different than a black woman doing it but its still the same idea. having a more european or "white" look. its just that in the white girls case, she is reaffirming that she's white where as a black woman would be kinda going along with the commercial revlon look which by all means is european in every way. and she may not be intentionally "denying her blackness" but we have already been thru the "baby doll" test and all that. fact is that as children we are taught that european features are beautiful and african or black features are "flaws" which is not true. so where do we draw the line? where can we point out that this is embedded in alot of womens thinking?? watch the video, the women who were being "interviewed" could not even answer the question as to why they straighten their hair ALL THE TIME. most never even thought about it. they just some how think that wearing their hair natural is wrong but having it straight somehow (which they cant even explain) makes them "feel good" and "look beautiful". so there is an element of self hate there. maybe youre tangling yourself into a topic that really isnt directed at you. good point about all black people not having tight curls tho

and its not just you when i make this next point so i dont want you to feel like im attacking you. when you say "how is me using a flat or curling iron self-hate?" that sensitivity about this topic seems to lead some women to have extreme view points on the matter. its just like baby girl in the second vid i posted. she basically made that same arguement but in the video you can see the emotion and attitude were actually stronger than the viewpoint itself lol

of course using those tools is not self hate. it depends on HOW YOURE USING THEM. im a man so i dont know all the hair styles etc but for example i may see a girl rocking her hair natural and some parts may be braided or curly or what have you and some parts may look like a different texture around the temple area etc to achieve that certain style. so you can tell when a girl is rocking a white girl hair style or not. when you knick pick to that extreme level it throws the whole convo off
  • 1of1
    1of1 Members Posts: 37,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Mood Indigo
    Mood Indigo Members Posts: 2,127
    Options

I straighten my hair when I feel like wearing a different style. It's that simple. All I have to do is wet it and goes right back to its natural state.*shrugs*
  • UPTOWN
    edited May 2012
    Options
    I straighten my hair when I feel like wearing a different style. It's that simple. All I have to do is wet it and goes right back to its natural state.*shrugs*
    its this "feeling" that i want to understand

i guess its different for me because im a man. like, back when i had braids, i never "felt" like having waves one day. when i cut my hair off and did get waves it was because an actual issue i was facing. so thats where i get lost. how does the texture of your hair equate to or effect your emotional state or your "feelings"??

no sarcasm .... real question
  • UPTOWN
    Options
  • UPTOWN
    Options
  • UPTOWN
    Options
    something in my thought process is moving away from the white girl look on black women. i cant really ? wit it anymore. its like a flaw to me now. its like putting ketchup on cereal
  • longmeat
    longmeat Members Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Bookworm wrote: »
    I also was given the mentality by my mom and older sister that I had bad, nappy, ? hair bc it was never silky straight

? like this always bothered me. If I ever get married, the broad will have to be natural, and her parents family better not be on no ? . I don't want no one brain washing my daughter believing to be beautiful she have to have straight hair and be light skin.
    My dauther wants locs but her mother is against it. And my baby got that soft hair that when you braid it it comes straight down. Now her mother put a perm in it and it won't grow, I'm striaght ? . ? 's breaking her hair off and making it fall out.

I remember my cousin had long thick beautiful hair when she was younger. That ? went down her back. One day her moms put some just for me in there, all her ? fell out. Her hair ain't been right since lol
  • Mood Indigo
    edited May 2012
    Options

i guess its different for me because im a man. like, back when i had braids, i never "felt" like having waves one day. when i cut my hair off and did get waves it was because an actual issue i was facing. so thats where i get lost. how does the texture of your hair equate to or effect your emotional state or your "feelings"??

It affects me the same way as when I wear any other style. I don't feel any way about it unless it didn't come out the way I wanted it to. Then I'd be annoyed cause I would have to fix it. A hairstyle is a hairstyle to me. Other women may feel differently but I honestly don't give it that much thought. If I make a conscious effort to always wear my hair a certain way out of shame for the natural texture of my hair then your argument would hold weight with me but one week I may wear it straight and then for the next month I'll keep it natural and my mental state remains the same. Lol

• UPTOWN
    Options
    Squall wrote: »
    Isn't Kai mulatto?

no, i'm african
    what country are you from again?? (you told me way back. all i remember is something about canada)

• UPTOWN
    edited May 2012
    Options

It affects me the same way as when I wear any other style. I don't feel any way about it unless it didn't come out the way I wanted it to. Then I'd be annoyed cause I would have to fix it. A hairstyle is a hairstyle to me. Other women may feel differently but I honestly don't give it that much thought. If I make a conscious effort to always wear my hair a certain way out of shame for the natural texture of my hair then your argument would hold weight with me but one week I may wear it straight and then for the next month I'll keep it natural and my mental state remains the same. Lol
    nah see right there i think you missed the question. you said "I straighten my hair when I feel like wearing a different style.

so this is what im trying to understand...... when you wake up one day, and you say to yourself "i feel like having straight hair today" whats that feel like?? like is it hot outside?? are you very busy and dont want to go thru the natural routine because of time or schedules you have to keep??

once again im a man so it could be different. i guess if i wake up one day and "feel" like growing dreads or braids or a blow out its a whole different look for me that i will stick with for years possibly. i thought certain styles dont work with certain people anyway tho. like ving rhames prolly wouldnt look right with dreads LOL

"A hairstyle is a hairstyle to me. Other women may feel differently but I honestly don't give it that much thought. If I make a conscious effort to always wear my hair a certain way out of shame for the natural texture of my hair then your argument would hold weight with me but one week I may wear it straight and then for the next month I'll keep it natural and my mental state remains the same. Lol "

bad argument LOL ...... not giving it much thought speaks for itself. you cant say "If I make a conscious effort to always wear my hair a certain way out of shame for the natural texture of my hair" if you already stated you dont give it that much thought LOL. because the lack of consciousness leaves you open to be influenced by many outside ideas etc

it could be that your mental state remains the same because you are not even thinking about your "straight hair days". so you could be on some white girl ? on any given day. you said yourself you dont give it that much thought. but i dont know because i dont know you personally. but at the end of the day your argument leaves the possibility there. and when you give the same arguement as a girl who rocks her hair like nikki minaj well then ...........

• Mood Indigo
    Options
    The state of my hair doesn't make me any less black so if I actually thought straightening it would bring me any closer to being white then I've obviously lost my mind. Lol

It's really not that serious.

This conversation is best had with women who haven't seen the true texture of their hair in years and refuse to do anything unless their hair is weaved up.

• UPTOWN
    Options
    The state of my hair doesn't make me any less black so if I actually thought straightening it would bring me any closer to being white then I've obviously lost my mind. Lol

It's really not that serious.

This conversation is best had with women who haven't seen the true texture of their hair in years and refuse to do anything unless their hair is weaved up.

true indeed .. but also if you think straight looks prettier than natural, that same thing applies

• UPTOWN
    Options
    Isn't Kai mulatto?

no, i'm african
    what country are you from again?? (you told me way back. all i remember is something about canada)

somalia, it's in east africa
    you know what, thats what i figured but i didnt want to just call that out based on a few pics ive seen of you

i know a good amount about africa considering ive never been there. but i want to go bad. whens the last time you've been there??

• UPTOWN
    Options
    Isn't Kai mulatto?

no, i'm african

somalia, it's in east africa
    you know what, thats what i figured but i didnt want to just call that out based on a few pics ive seen of you

i know a good amount about africa considering ive never been there. but i want to go bad. whens the last time you've been there??

haven't been since i left in '95. it's pretty dangerous there still
    word ... im going to hit you up in a future thread about africa

• Iheart~Cali
    Iheart~Cali Members Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't think there's anything wrong with natural but it requires alot more time and energy to keep it from getting tangled and looking frizzy. I apply conditioner, braid it and let it dry, but that doesn't happen often. It gets tangled easy and then I end up with breakage.

My hair does best with a "kiddie perm" or flat iron...especially if I mostly keep it in a ponytail or bun and don't mess with it alot. That's when it grows fastest.
  • UPTOWN
    Options
    LOL no doubt tabatha. That is an honest and understandable response. Makes good sense
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    pixie_cut.jpg
    tumblr_m0sg3chD8H1rr6iggo1_400.jpg
    tumblr_ly4ko0ncTw1qczj8jo1_500.jpg
    tumblr_ltf300tkn21qifbieo1_500.jpg
    tumblr_lvx97ussdR1qks5cwo1_500.jpg
    tumblr_lzp4hiweHe1r20ynpo1_500.jpg
    tumblr_lybecdLm3c1qmz84wo1_400.jpg
    tumblr_m0v28kOd771qjfbeho6_r1_500.jpg

All these chicks would get wifed up
  • mdcu16
    mdcu16 Members Posts: 297
    Options
    Personally I prefer natural hair over processed hair. Now that I'm natural my hair grows much faster and longer. It's also healthier and thicker. The chemicals in a relaxer destroyed my hair after repeated use. I would never go back
  • I Self Lord & Master
    I Self Lord & Master Members Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "Looks white, dont' it?"

malcolm-x-hair-conking-o.gif
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nothing wrong with natural hair, i just don't like the look on me and i like my hair manageable.

SMH @ not being able to manage your own hair
  • The Prodigalson
    The Prodigalson Members, Writer Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Well my wife doesn't have to hide from the rain anymore nor sleep in an awkward position to prevent from ? up her hair.