How Much Will Iron Man 3 Cost? Marvel Films Get Budget Boost

Options
focus
focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2012 in Lights, Camera, Action!
How Much Will Iron Man 3 Cost?
The Armored Avenger gets a budget boost.
by Scott Collura MAY 23, 2012

How is Marvel supposed to top the pull-out-all-the-stops amazingness of The Avengers' action scenes when the studio reverts to releasing solo films featuring Iron Man and the rest? This question has come up before, and we may now have an answer… Spend more money.

Marvel has always kept a tight rein on its budgets, bucking the Hollywood impulse to spend, spend, spend. While The Avengers production cost a reportedly not-small $220 million, there's no denying that the studio got ever penny's worth onscreen. But the previous Marvel films -- Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk, Captain America: The First Avenger and Thor -- were in the $140 million to $150 million range.

Now, Latino Review has the inside word on Iron Man 3, which they say just got its budget bumped up a big $60 million from a rumored $140 million to $200 mill (for reference, Avengers made more than that in its first weekend). That sounds like quite a hike, and it may be that the original $140 mill number was never accurate, but that said LR's sources are typically sound. As the site notes, "The Avengers did gangbusters and rather than count their crossover movies as separate, Marvel has decided The Avengers raised the bar for ALL Marvel movies. Namely, [director] Shane Black and the IM3 crew aren’t being asked to deliver a better Iron Man movie but THE BEST Marvel movie hands down."

Which, of course, isn't to say that money spent equates with quality. But certainly those visual effects scenes cost dollars, and one can't help but wonder how audiences would react to a another climactic action scene like the first Iron Man's rather reserved showdown with Iron Monger after they've had a taste of full-on Chitauri mayhem as in The Avengers.

And Tony Stark is essentially the studio's flagship character. (There may also be a bit of keep-Downey, Jr.-happy in there as well.)

By the way, today also marks the first day of shooting on Iron Man 3 (production codename Caged Heat) down in Wilmington, North Carolina. They'll be at it through October.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/05/23/how-much-will-iron-man-3-cost

That's wassup. Hope they do this for all the solo movies and not just for Downey/Iron Man cause he is the most popular.

Comments

• The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't really see how spending more will change the fact that the solo movies will seem a little like a letdown after the group film Not to mention that I don't think spending more money will appreciably improve any of the movies.
  • rage
    rage Members Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ^^^

Come b, imagine IM going H.A.M on the Mandarin (Chow Fat...get it done marvel!) And WM blasting away at A giant Fing Fang Foom!!!! I can dig it.
  • S.jR.
    S.jR. Members Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    In the words of Colonel Hannibal... "Because overkill is underrated."

I just hope this makes them more creative and not lazy.
  • focus
    Options
    I mean, look at the first Iron Man. It was just as good as The Avengers...right until that final battle with Iron Monger. ? was anti-climatic. Its like they just ran out of money. Hopefully this will allow an ending worthy of The Avengers.
  • iron man1
    iron man1 Members Posts: 29,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I hope thor gets a budget boost for real with the right effects thors abilities can be shown more the nine realms can be larger landscape
  • stoneface
    stoneface Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2012
    Options
    I hear this film is gonna based on the "Extremis" story arc. I hope thats true, the comics was dope as hell.
  • CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I was gonna say this ethier have it vs mandarin or detriot steel
  • CottonCitySlim
    Options
    Plus bleeding edge IM is over ?
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    extremis story line>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    iron man1 wrote: »
    I hope thor gets a budget boost for real with the right effects thors abilities can be shown more the nine realms can be larger landscape

As do i. that first thor movie sucked ? imo.
  • In Your Moms Room
    In Your Moms Room Members Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Joe Sun on there placing his bid right now.
  • focus
    Options
    They shouldve waited on Iron Man 2 until after The Avengers anyway.
  • vageneral08
    vageneral08 Members Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    focus wrote: »
    They shouldve waited on Iron Man 2 until after The Avengers anyway.

I think they only did that because thor and captain america movie wasnt ready yet iron man had great reviews so I guess they wanted to take a stab at it again
  • nawledge_god
    nawledge_god Members Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I've Always Thought Iron Has Had Some Horrible Rogues....I'll Watch This On Blu-Ray
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Iron Man was a Marvel B lister until his movie came out, he always had odd ass villains like Modok and ?
  • CottonCitySlim
    Options
    Iron Man is an A lister when he is with the avengers alone you are correct, ? the current Iron Made is Oped as ? in the 616 he can take on just about anyone
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    MobTown wrote: »
    Iron Man is an A lister when he is with the avengers alone you are correct, ? the current Iron Made is Oped as ? in the 616 he can take on just about anyone

I meant popularity wise, before his movie he was considered a B lister

• CottonCitySlim
    Options
    Nooo he was always a list
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You cats do know Thanos was originally a Iron Man villain right. Yeah, the ultimate Marvel Villain started off in Iron Man.
  • king360
    king360 Members Posts: 6
    Options
    Iron Man 3 Spy Photos Reveal... The Iron Patriot?

The rumor mill heats up at Norman Osborn's alter ego gets ready for his motion picture debut.
    It's hard to know what to think of Iron Man 3 at this point. Early reports that Shane Black's superhero threequel was going to follow the well-known "Extremis" storyline from the comic books seemed to be confirmed by casting notices, but every time a new villain is announced the film sounds more like an "Armor Wars" movie instead. First there was the cyborg Coldblood, then there was the power-suited Firepower, and how the weirdest news of all... behind the scenes spy shots (courtesy of The Superficial) of James Badge Dale in what appears to be an Iron Patriot suit. For casual comics fans, or the oblivious outside observer, a little context: in 2009, Marvel supervillain Norman Osborn - better known as The Green Goblin - took over The Avengers, repopulating the team with supervillains. The assassin Bullseye became the new Hawkeye, for example, and Osborn himself got a star-spangled Iron Man suit, creating a new persona called The Iron Patriot. Marvel Studios does not currently own the film rights to Norman Osborn (Sony does, at least for now), but apparently they do have the rights to the Iron Patriot suit. Hence James Badge Dale, whose character shares the name with the lesser-known villain Coldblood, donning the armor here.It seems like Iron Man 3 isn't ? around when it comes to big power-suited thrills, and that's perfectly fine with us. As long as they balance the action with the fine characters and drama we've come to expect from a Marvel Studios release, we're perfectly happy with any of the craziness we've seen from the production so far.

Iron Man 3 is currently scheduled to be released on May 3, 2013.

CraveOnline will be back with more Iron Man 3 news if we ever get the flipping Titanium Man announced. Seriously, didn't he used to be Iron Man's arch-nemesis or something?
  • vageneral08
    vageneral08 Members Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    king360 wrote: »
    Iron Man 3 Spy Photos Reveal... The Iron Patriot?

The rumor mill heats up at Norman Osborn's alter ego gets ready for his motion picture debut.
    It's hard to know what to think of Iron Man 3 at this point. Early reports that Shane Black's superhero threequel was going to follow the well-known "Extremis" storyline from the comic books seemed to be confirmed by casting notices, but every time a new villain is announced the film sounds more like an "Armor Wars" movie instead. First there was the cyborg Coldblood, then there was the power-suited Firepower, and how the weirdest news of all... behind the scenes spy shots (courtesy of The Superficial) of James Badge Dale in what appears to be an Iron Patriot suit. For casual comics fans, or the oblivious outside observer, a little context: in 2009, Marvel supervillain Norman Osborn - better known as The Green Goblin - took over The Avengers, repopulating the team with supervillains. The assassin Bullseye became the new Hawkeye, for example, and Osborn himself got a star-spangled Iron Man suit, creating a new persona called The Iron Patriot. Marvel Studios does not currently own the film rights to Norman Osborn (Sony does, at least for now), but apparently they do have the rights to the Iron Patriot suit. Hence James Badge Dale, whose character shares the name with the lesser-known villain Coldblood, donning the armor here.It seems like Iron Man 3 isn't ? around when it comes to big power-suited thrills, and that's perfectly fine with us. As long as they balance the action with the fine characters and drama we've come to expect from a Marvel Studios release, we're perfectly happy with any of the craziness we've seen from the production so far.

Iron Man 3 is currently scheduled to be released on May 3, 2013.

CraveOnline will be back with more Iron Man 3 news if we ever get the flipping Titanium Man announced. Seriously, didn't he used to be Iron Man's arch-nemesis or something?

very interesting but dont know if they could pull this off
  • Black10star
    Black10star Members Posts: 13
    Options
    They'll make that money back three times over.
  • young_belvi
    young_belvi Members Posts: 732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So am I the only person on here who thought Thor (the film) was dope? I mean the battle with the Destroyer was garbage, but I enjoyed the movie and thought the Avengers tie-ins were pretty cool looking back on it.
  • CottonCitySlim
    Options
    Why did king post all that non sense they already revealed all the enemies, there are 4.
  • sdotcarter111
    sdotcarter111 Members Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    All they really need is Mandarin. The effects from his 10 rings alone would eat up a couple hundred millie, plus he's a good enough villain to carry a movie on his own.