Superman Should be a Black/Dark Skinned Man

Amotekun
Amotekun Members Posts: 7,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2012 in Quite Comical
12823517599344.jpgblk+superwoman.jpg

Superman's power is derived from his a molecular reaction to yellow sun.

Superman's powers developed over time as his body absorbed the sun from his childhood to the present.

We know that the original people had dark skin as a result of absorbing the rays from the sun

so why wouldn't Superman's body have done the same thing over the course of his childhood especially

turning his skin dark as a means of absorbing the maximum amount of sunlight. Light or pale skin is an

evolutionary trait resulting from sunlight deficiency which Kal El would not have suffered from.

Comments

• nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because hes a white kryptonian....
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Amotekun
    nujerz84 wrote: »

Being pale in complexion is not a natural state for any living thing anywhere.

Becoming pale is a result of being cut off from the sun such as during an

Ice Age.
  • Amotekun
    edited May 2012
    he'd still be lame as ? yo...

If the DC uni reflected more closely what the real world is like a Black Superman would be closer to an antihero than a boy scout. He would've spent almost his entire life being experimented upon by government agencies.

He'd probably be a amalgam of Hyperion and the Plutonian.

Comic book heroes are often derived from Greek mythology, but Greek mythology is nothing but ? and goddesses siphoned off from Egyptian mythology and allegories. So even from a creative standpoint, Superman's origins are African.
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ice Age.

For one its a comic... 2. Krypton is not earth so its not bound by any natural state. 3. Again hes a white Kryptonian..4. There are Black Kryptonians. Case closed.
  • Amotekun

Ice Age.

For one its a comic... 2. Krypton is not earth so its not bound by any natural state. 3. Again hes a white Kryptonian..4. There are Black Kryptonians. Case closed.

Everything is bound to a natural state whether it's earth bound or not.

Even if white Kryptonians exist in comics it still doesn't make sense for Kal-El to remain light skinned or pale upon absorbing year upon years of yellow sun radiation. His body would've gone through a convergent evolutionary process turning him dark skinned for the purpose of absorbing the most sun.

I'm not even going to get into the environmental factors that comic books ignore in order to produce melanin deficient humanoids the whole there are Black and White Kryptonians is a wack explanantion.
  • Amotekun
    edited May 2012
    Side note: I know it's a comic, but I'm talking about the use of comic books in western literature to affirm and propagate stereotypes and white supremacy.

One of those notions is the idea of the white messiah/devil. The image of the protagonist is more likely than not a white person and the antagonist is always some goofy blundering darker person unless they are an antagonist of genius level then they are depicted as also being white and a foil for the protagonist to constantly thwart.

Not to start a tangent but the same can be said for Black Adam. A character whose origins and powers are derived from Ancient Kemet but whose appearance is that of a light skinned or otherly looking person instead of a dark skinned, man.
  • Soloman_The_Wise
    Soloman_The_Wise Members Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2012
    he was created by White People for white people to inspire ideals of white society at a time when Black Folks were 3rd class citizens at best. That said DC would be better served the next time they retcon everything to take your points and other scientific premises into consideration and at least make him oLive tone to Tan if not all the way brown skinned...
  • Mr. 66Hundred
    Mr. 66Hundred Members Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭
    Superman doesn't absorb yellow sunlight through his skin

he absorbs it through the aura around his body and the sunlight is stored in his bio-cellular matrix

Sunlight doesn't actually touch Superman's skin

Also Krypton's geography is usually described as "cold, crystaline tundra"

Krypton was close enough to the Red Sun to sustain life and water... but probably not close enough to have any type of tropical climate

a better question would be "Why are there blacc Kryptonians?"
  • Amotekun
    Superman doesn't absorb yellow sunlight through his skin

he absorbs it through the aura around his body and the sunlight is stored in his bio-cellular matrix

Sunlight doesn't actually touch Superman's skin

Also Krypton's geography is usually described as "cold, crystaline tundra"

Krypton was close enough to the Red Sun to sustain life and water... but probably not close enough to have any type of tropical climate

a better question would be "Why are there blacc Kryptonians?"

That dont sound like a bunch of half formed ? at all.

Sunlight has to hit Superman's skin because if it didn't he'd be invisible as light would simply bend around him, or I'm sure the jig would be up as people would notice a very visible aura surrounding Clark Kent like "that's not suspicious'

If Krypton is really that cold and crystalline basically still in an ICE AGE then those dudes wouldn't have been technologically advanced enough to build structures let alone interstellar travel.

When Europe went through its last Ice Age when europeans lost the ability to produce melanin in abundance, those dudes stayed in caves eating raw meat. They weren't even literate or had laws it wasn't until hey came into contact with Kemetans that they were introduced to high culture.

So my question would be if this is the description of Krypton, similar to an Ice Age, who gave them their culture?

You are right though, their shouldn't be dark skinned kryptonians, there is much inconsistency in this superman lore.

• High Revolutionary
    High Revolutionary Members Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2012
    To Public: I agree wholeheartedly.

And I know this isn't necessarily the forum for it but I feel like a great deal of mainstream entertainment is a vehicle to promote white supremacy, including, unfortunately, our beloved comics we grew up reading (my screen name is a play on an old marvel villain, btw). One of my projects that I want to do which is still a ways off is to create comics and stories from a uniquely black perspective. I know it's been done but I feel with the internet and the right ideas it can really take off.
  • Amotekun
    To Public: I agree wholeheartedly.

And I know this isn't necessarily the forum for it but I feel like a great deal of mainstream entertainment is a vehicle to promote white supremacy, including, unfortunately, our beloved comics we grew up reading. One of my projects that I want to do which is still a ways off is to create comics and stories from a uniquely black perspective. I know it's been done but I feel with the internet and the right ideas it can really take off.

Of course the images presented to us are symbols of paradigms or ideologies that are constantly enforced in every medium whether print or on screen or audio.
    They must be broken.
  • A.J. Trillzynski
    A.J. Trillzynski Members Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    only lames hate on Superman
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So again, we're trying to apply scientific reasoning to fictional comic book characters?
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most fictional works fall apart when logic and science are used to scrutinize them.

This is why Barnes and Noble has a non-fiction section.
  • rage
    rage Members Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ice Age.

This has got to be the dumbest thing I have I ever read in my life!!
  • rage

Superman's powers developed over time as his body absorbed the sun from his childhood to the present.

We know that the original people had dark skin as a result of absorbing the rays from the sun

so why wouldn't Superman's body have done the same thing over the course of his childhood especially

turning his skin dark as a means of absorbing the maximum amount of sunlight. Light or pale skin is an

evolutionary trait resulting from sunlight deficiency which Kal El would not have suffered from.

Nope I was wrong....this is..

So a WHITE man who spends time in the sun will be what??? A black person?? Are you ? ??
  • Amotekun
    rage wrote: »

So a WHITE man who spends time in the sun will be what??? A black person?? Are you ? ??

@rage

What i said makes more sense scientifically than anything DC has put out.

Kal El is not a ? sapien sapien therefore not a European or 'white'

Most Europeans burn in the sun as a lack of ability to produce enough melanin to absorb it.

Kal El's body with the capability of absorbing UV only makes sense if he has the melanocytes available
    to absorb and store it. As a result of that absorption his skin would darken.

Study up on the effects of melanin before you come in and make yourself look foolish.

• rage
    edited May 2012
    rage wrote: »

@rage

What i said makes more sense scientifically than anything DC has put out.

Kal El is not a ? sapien sapien therefore not a European or 'white'

Most Europeans burn in the sun as a lack of ability to produce enough melanin to absorb it.

Kal El's body with the capability of absorbing UV only makes sense if he has the melanocytes available
    to absorb and store it. As a result of that absorption his skin would darken.

Study up on the effects of melanin before you come in and make yourself look foolish.

Let me get this straight....you want credit for being more scientifically correct than a comic book?....awesome....what's next? Will you be telling us how it's scientifically impossible for smurfs to be blue.

Second where does it say that Superman has melanin??
  • Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmmm...interesting thread.
  • gns
    gns Members Posts: 21,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Black Panthers origin>>>>>>Kal-el' origin
  • Amotekun
    @rage

melanin is a universal element.

I never said I wanted credit for anything, I just said my reasoning is more logical than the creators of the character and his origins.

You're sounding really butt hurt right now. It's ok though. Welcome to the age of reclamation
    gns wrote: »
    Black Panthers origin>>>>>>Kal-el' origin

This is also true. I heard it through a grape vine that jack kirby (creator of BP) studied a group called the Black Panther Society which informed him of much the culture and traditions that BP is written with. The BPS are supposed to ninjas for real for real.
  • gns
    gns Members Posts: 21,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @publicenemigo
    if u want a good story that applies some real world realism, check out
    16601261_1.jpg
  • Amotekun
    Oh yea I already copped that back in the day. I remember the whole controversy around it. Marvel quietly buried that character though.

I have a couple of theories on why there should be way more darker hued super power beings than any other shade. Dealing with the pineal gland and pineal gland calcification.
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or at least biracial
    His pops is named jareal