Jon Beason ethers Alex Smith for saying ? about Cam Newton

Options
Young_Chitlin
Young_Chitlin Members Posts: 23,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2012 in From the Cheap Seats
Alex Smith gets defensive when he's asked about his meager passing numbers. And when Alex Smith gets defensive, he apparently likes to take unsolicited shots at other quarterbacks who went with the No. 1 pick. This week, the San Francisco 49ers QB was asked about his passing yards, which averaged under 200 yards during the Niners run to the NFC championship game.

"I could absolutely care less on yards per game," Smith told reporters. [Wait, so he's saying he cares a little bit?] "I think that is a totally overblown stat because if you're losing games in the second half, guess what, you're like the Carolina Panthers and you're going no-huddle the entire second half. Yeah, Cam Newton threw for a lot of 300-yard games. That's great. You're not winning, though."

Says the guy who entered last season with a 19-31 career record.

Carolina Panthers linebacker Jon Beason heard about Smith's comments and responded on Twitter, to which I respond, "Like the crowd in 8 Mile, "daaaaamn!""

Beason just James Harrison'd Alex Smith. That was the verbal equivalent of a helmet-to-helmet hit in the open field. It doesn't even matter that Smith is right about football stats being meaningless. There are plenty of ways to make that point without ripping on the guy who put up the best rookie season in NFL history.

What a ? Alex Smith is. Be a man and accept that your passing numbers are ? . Do something about it instead of throwing better quarterbacks than you under the bus.

Comments