Drew Brees potentially sitting out 2012= VERY interesting 2013

Options
2»

Comments

• greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's a lot more to contracts than what the media reports.

NFL contracts are notorious for "back loading" and having very little guaranteed money. I bet the guaranteed part is the problem.

Look at Peyton. Manning signed one of the biggest QB contract ever the year before Indy chucked the deuces at'em. Brees is just trying to make sure he gets the most out of this new contract. And he has a history of injuries so who's to say he won't be in Manning's shoes a couple years from now.

• vageneral08
    vageneral08 Members Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

NFL contracts are notorious for "back loading" and having very little guaranteed money. I bet the guaranteed part is the problem.

Look at Peyton. Manning signed one of the biggest QB contract ever the year before Indy chucked the deuces at'em. Brees is just trying to make sure he gets the most out of this new contract. And he has a history of injuries so who's to say he won't be in Manning's shoes a couple years from now.

You probably right on the guaranteed money but ? if the saints trying to low ball him like that then explore your options (not meaning just abandon the team right away) but yeah I know there's a red flag somewhere on the contract but sitting out? as much as brees loves playing football dont think he will sit out just for contract issues
  • greenwood1921
    Options
    I used to get mad at players holding out, but ? , the NFL chews these ? up and spits'em out (nh) and nobody gives a ? when they're retired, brain-dead, and broke. Might as well squeeze every bit you can get.

• jay83
    jay83 Members Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm not a cowboy fan at all, But if Im Jerry Jones, I would def try to talk to Drew Brees.

• caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    d.green wrote: »
    Fk Drew Brees. System QB. Even his front office said so. However, N.O. should pay the man.

I had to wack this. If he was a good QB in San Diego and a great one in New Orleans. How is he a system QB?
  • caddo man
    Options
    jay83 wrote: »
    I'm not a cowboy fan at all, But if Im Jerry Jones, I would def try to talk to Drew Brees.

If they find out. Lawsuit!!!!!

Collusion, anyone????????

On a side note, anyone remember how he left San Diego. On a franchise contract!!!!!!!!!!

Mickey Loomis is ? with my emotion right now!
  • KeepOnPushing
    KeepOnPushing Members Posts: 17,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    its probably the guaranteed money thats an issue , ya'll know Football contracts SOUND better than what they are , some of these Contracts u can get out of in a about 2 years the way they're worked

yea they may have offered Brees $19 Mil but i'd liked to see how much is Guaranteed thats offered , cuz i wouldnt think someone like Brees is that bothered by asking for $21 mil and getting $19, so it's something in that contract that he isnt confident in
  • bow to royalty
    bow to royalty Members Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'm wonderin if Brees isn't being a little greedy in negotiations. It seems like the Saints SHOULD be wiling to give him Brady type money. He may be trying to be the top paid player in the league though. I don't think injuries are a concern for Brees though. Has he had any problems since the surgery when he was leavin the Chargers?
  • vageneral08
    Options
    caddo man wrote: »
    Fk Drew Brees. System QB. Even his front office said so. However, N.O. should pay the man.

I had to wack this. If he was a good QB in San Diego and a great one in New Orleans. How is he a system QB?

Well really they wasnt for sure on him because he stayed injured that's why they let him go
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Hey My Niners got a spot for him after this season. go head Brees sit down relax yourself for a year.
  • smittysmith
    smittysmith Members Posts: 8,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm not concerned.....

Yet.
  • vageneral08
    Options

Well really they wasnt for sure on him because he stayed injured that's why they let him go

they drafted rivers...thats why they let him go

No they drafted eli but since eli didnt want to go to the chargers they took rivers instead.....they drafted a qb because they wasnt sure on brees yeah he did his thing but the front office wasnt convinced for some reason
  • caddo man
    Options
  • vageneral08
    Options

No they drafted eli but since eli didnt want to go to the chargers they took rivers instead.....they drafted a qb because they wasnt sure on brees yeah he did his thing but the front office wasnt convinced for some reason

ok since you gotta be all technical...but the point is it wasnt injuries that made San Diego let him go as one poster eluded to

ok but since it wasnt brees who only had one bad season there and won comeback player of the year award 2004....then why draft a qb? brees is kinda small for the qb position anyway
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    we got a spot for you out San Fran homie
  • greenwood1921
    Options
    I got every reason in the world to hate on ? -face...

...but this "system" ? is ridiculous. Stop it.
  • vageneral08
    Options

ok since you gotta be all technical...but the point is it wasnt injuries that made San Diego let him go as one poster eluded to

ok but since it wasnt brees who only had one bad season there and won comeback player of the year award 2004....then why draft a qb? brees is kinda small for the qb position anyway

says who? how many of those 6'5+ dudes are better than Brees? I mean, if you can play, you can play...tbh, i dont know the real reason why San Diego let him go...I wont pretend to...i will only assume that if there was any remote chance that he was going to come back, it went out the window when he tore his shoulder and they had to draft a qb...

says who? brees is only 6'0'' at the highest...the average qb nowadays is like 6'3 and up.....not comparing to who's better but trying to coach a team with a slight undersize qb can be difficult......but the chargers did make him an offer before he left but to him it wasnt good enough.....I'm trying to tell you when he tore his labrum that season the chargers was not confident to keep him
  • unspoken_respect
    unspoken_respect Members Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Thanks Brees, the Panthers win percentage just increased.