Sony Patent Pauses Games for Advertising

Options
grumpy_new_yorker
grumpy_new_yorker Members Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2012 in IllGaming
A new Sony patent will allow the company to pause your gameplay while it serves up advertising. Delightful. In the illustration submitted with the patent, cars are racing against other cars and some louder speakers or warning lights are show. The gameplay pauses and then a soda ad appears. After the ad is served the game resumes.

Companies have tried subtle and not-so-subtle ways of advertising in games but this might be the most irritating way of handling it that we have seen. On the other hand advertiser-sponsored games could give players access to AAA titles without having to pay the premium prices usually associated with them.

http://www.gamepolitics.com/2012/05/25/sony-patent-pauses-games-advertising

Comments

• grumpy_new_yorker
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Maybe this is sony's new way of getting players to sub to PSN+?

Some ? either way.
  • Aristo_V300
    Aristo_V300 Members Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What the ? is this ? ? I'd never buy a PS4 if it had that.
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    I was really considering buying PS4 but now this? ? that.
  • stoneface
    stoneface Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Theres nothing to worry about yet, just because they patented this doesnt mean theyll actually go through with it.
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2012
    Options
    lol coming to a Madden near you

The pass is a half second away from yo WR when suddenly the game freeze and a 30 second ad for Pepsi plays.

The game resumes and the awkwardness of it throws off your timing, causing you to drop the sure touchdown pass.

As you throw your controller in disgust, another 30 second ad for Battleship on Blu-Ray begins.....

idiocracy-tv-dvd11.jpg

yup lol
  • KINGOFDAARCADE
    KINGOFDAARCADE Members Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i don't like this because its a patent to make more money, rather than a patent to make games better
  • huey
    huey Members Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    no way in hell ? are gonna have that ?
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    yeah i could see it happening during loading times, but actual gameplay? damn...
  • joshuaboy
    joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Karl. wrote: »
    PS3 fanboys lose again.

Hit wack if you're a fanboy.

Vita too :P
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LOL if you think Sony will only do this, if this makes bank, others will follow. $$$$ is always the calling card.
  • funkdocdamc
    funkdocdamc Members Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    VIBE wrote: »
    LOL if you think Sony will only do this, if this makes bank, others will follow. $$$$ is always the calling card.
    Microsoft already has ads all over the dashboard of xbox live, so I don't think they would need to pause during actually gameplay to show more ads, and I don't see Nintendo doing this at all because they are the least pressed for money outta the three.

Like that clown above said, I don't think Sony will actually go through with this unless they want to lose more fans for the next generation.
  • grumpy_new_yorker
    Options
    Wipeout HD has had in-game ads for the past 3 years. Ever since the Fury expansion got released.

It doubles the loading times.
  • stoneface
    edited May 2012
    Options
    I read that they've had this patented since 2006. Still hasnt happened, so... And on an unrelated note, ROFL@ anyone (and their aliases) straight catching feelings about finding out who hit their posts with wacks and feelings. Being bothered by that BS says a lot about you ? .
  • joshuaboy
    joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    stoneface wrote: »
    I read that they've had this patented since 2006. Still hasnt happened, so... And on an unrelated note, ROFL@ anyone (and their aliases) straight catching feelings about finding out who hit their posts with wacks and feelings. Being bothered by that BS says a lot about you ? .

lol

• KNiGHTS
    KNiGHTS Members Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Smh@advertising up and through EA games already without them making the game one iota cheaper. Advertising should make these things cheaper, not 60 dollars out of my pocket AND more irritating.

Just the insinuation that this could be possible is ? on their part to leak.
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I knew Sony was broke, but damn.
  • kanggoodie
    kanggoodie Members Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2012
    Options
    i swear these companies try to push the gamers the hardest they can until the tipping point.. you know how much revolt will happen if this leaks into mainstream gaming?? its cool that ads are in free aps on phones and ? , or a demo of a ps vita game.. but if im playing GOW4 or something, and a blu-ray ad pops up.. i will go retro (atari-XB360) from that day forward!! lmao
  • kanggoodie
    Options

whats funny about this statement is that ive found out ur one of the BIGGEST wack button abusers on this board... i went back and looked at all of my wacks and/or feelings.. and guess who i see givin them to me?? this ? i dont even know named "stoneface" lmao.. you sir, are a troll.. and are mad that ur anonymity is exposed!

• focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    And on an unrelated note, ROFL@ anyone (and their aliases) straight catching feelings about finding out who hit their posts with wacks and feelings. Being bothered by that BS says a lot about you ? .

LMAO!
  • stoneface
    edited May 2012
    Options
    kanggoodie wrote: »

whats funny about this statement is that ive found out ur one of the BIGGEST wack button abusers on this board... i went back and looked at all of my wacks and/or feelings.. and guess who i see givin them to me?? this ? i dont even know named "stoneface" lmao.. you sir, are a troll.. and are mad that ur anonymity is exposed!

What? That makes no sense, bruh. All u just did was prove what I said. U think I care about my ratings being revealed? lol im not lookin to make e-friends, if someone said something I thought was wack, I clicked wack, its nothing personal. Im just speaking to the little sensitive lames throwin shots at me (for some reason) since the raters got exposed. But here, have an apologetic "GOAT" lol.

• kanggoodie
    Options
    kanggoodie wrote: »

What? That makes no sense, bruh. All u just did was prove what I said. U think I care about my ratings being revealed? lol im not lookin to make e-friends, if someone said something I thought was wack, I clicked wack, its nothing personal. Im just speaking to the little sensitive lames throwin shots at me (for some reason) since the raters got exposed. But here, have an apologetic "GOAT" lol.

bruh it would be different if you wacked truly wack ? .. but you just wack ? just for the ? of it ... but its cool tho...
  • BoldChild
    BoldChild Members Posts: 11,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'd only agree with this if it was optional, and we got some free form of PS plus in exchange or some ? .
  • CitySojourner
    CitySojourner Members Posts: 689 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i can see this happening during loading times, but never during play. It's the same thing we see at the theaters, annoying, but not bad enough to make me wanna revolt. It's ? up that ? like this doesn't drop the price of games at all for the consumer.
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BIGRuss wrote: »
    Wipeout HD has had in-game ads for the past 3 years. Ever since the Fury expansion got released.

i seem to remember seeing obama ads in xbox live too.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/10/16/obama_video_game_ads/
  • grumpy_new_yorker
    Options
    BIGRuss wrote: »

i seem to remember seeing obama ads in xbox live too.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/10/16/obama_video_game_ads/

LOL @ paying for ads