Jr Griffey vs Bonds

Options
CockMcStuffins
CockMcStuffins Members Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2012 in From the Cheap Seats
Who had the better career?

Who was better in their respective primes?

Which one will history look back on more favorably?

Comments

• Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the last question should pretty much answer the first two.

i'd like to see the pirates bonds stats vs the mariners griffey stats tho
  • smittysmith
    smittysmith Members Posts: 8,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bonds was the better overall player, I cant front even though Griffey was my all time fav player.

At their peak, they were about even, with Bonds being the better hitter for avg and Griffey being the better power hitter.

Without the injuries Griffey would have had better power numbers than Bonds, but Bonds was better in pretty much ever other category of hitting (batting average, On base %, RBI's, steals etc).
  • CockMcStuffins
    Options
    How does BALCO fit into this equation?
  • smittysmith
    Options
    Without steroids Bonds was still a great player. Every baseball historian I've read still ranks Bonds very highly despite the supposed steroid abuse.
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Griffey was more naturally talented imo, much more effortless. I will give you Bonds on batting and steals, but i'll take Jr in homeruns, rbi's, and fielding. Right when Griffey got injured is when he was coming into his prime, the year before he got injured he hit 55 homeruns and won the mvp, after than he went to the Reds and lost about 3 years of his career.

To me Griffey lost about 150 homeruns from his injuries.
  • CockMcStuffins
    Options
    Even with the high ass batting averages in his steroid period, Barry only got him beat by .09 as a career average tho

• Matt-
    Options
    Without steroids Bonds was still a great player. Every baseball historian I've read still ranks Bonds very highly despite the supposed steroid abuse.

he he was a 2 time mvp and runner up for mvp in another season while with the pirates
  • smittysmith
    Options
    Bonds prime was from 90-04, in that time he won 7 NL MVPs, 3 ML POTY's, 8 Golden Gloves (4 consecutively), and led the league in BA and HR's twice.

Griffey's prime was from 90-00, in that time he won 1 AL MVP, 1 ML POTY, 10 Golden Gloves (ALL consecutive) and led the league in HR's 4 times while never leading the league in BA.
  • Matt-
    Options
    its impossible to look at each other's prime and make fair comparisions tho.
  • CockMcStuffins
    Options
    Nah I'm cutting bond's prime off at 00 because we all know what happened around that time
  • Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i googled bonds, i aint know he was that good pre-HGH

but ima go with JR... that was the only time i played or watched baseball was when he was that dude
  • usmarin3
    Options
    Bonds prime was from 90-04, in that time he won 7 NL MVPs, 3 ML POTY's, 8 Golden Gloves (4 consecutively), and led the league in BA and HR's twice.

Griffey's prime was from 90-00, in that time he won 1 AL MVP, 1 ML POTY, 10 Golden Gloves (ALL consecutive) and led the league in HR's 4 times while never leading the league in BA.

LOL at a 14 year prime, Bonds prime was at the height of his steroids usage, meanwhile Jr. was injured during the steroids era.
  • Matt-
    Options
    remembers barry bonds fielding a base hit by fransisco cabrerra and not being able to throw out Sid Bream at the plate.
  • smittysmith
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »

LOL at a 14 year prime, Bonds prime was at the height of his steroids usage, meanwhile Jr. was injured during the steroids era.

A baseball players prime is much longer than any other sport and the mans #'s in that time frame prove that, steroids or no steroids. Bonds was just a WAY more consistent hitter than Griff and his On Base production during that period was arguably the greatest of all time. Guy had one of if not the greatest eye in history and i'm sure their haven't been any study's to show steroids making improvements in that area.
  • CockMcStuffins
    Options
    matt- wrote: »
    remembers barry bonds fielding a base hit by fransisco cabrerra and not being able to throw out Sid Bream at the plate.
    MLB on CBS was GOAT back in the day......with Sean Mcdounaugh or however the ? u spell his name
  • usmarin3
    Options

A baseball players prime is much longer than any other sport and the mans #'s in that time frame prove that, steroids or no steroids. Bonds was just a WAY more consistent hitter than Griff and his On Base production during that period was arguably the greatest of all time. Guy had one of if not the greatest eye in history and i'm sure their haven't been any study's to show steroids making improvements in that area.

I said Bonds was the better hitter and base stealer. To downplay the role of HGH is naive imo, one of the benefits of HGH is it helps you stay healthy and improves your strength. Griffey never had the benefit of using HGH even though i'm sure he could when he was going through all his injuries and seeing everyone around him juicing up. Sorry but Bonds ain't getting no credit for taking the easy route. Plus like someone said, for all Bonds eye for the baseball, he is only batting .298, which is .14 more than Griffey's.
  • Matt-
    Options
    i'm sorry but when a player hits his best years AFTER the age of 35, then it throws everything out the window.

but anyone who was into baseball cards wanted that upper deck Griffey rookie card and that topps bonds rookie card

061610_ken_griffey_jr_rookie_card.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTmJRBgBUzfKOKtHS67DXlJWMLN6U5bcYX9-mHqSCVI_d_SaVa_gJ8STlTspA
  • KeepOnPushing
    KeepOnPushing Members Posts: 17,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Griffey was more naturally talented imo, much more effortless. I will give you Bonds on batting and steals, but i'll take Jr in homeruns, rbi's, and fielding. Right when Griffey got injured is when he was coming into his prime, the year before he got injured he hit 55 homeruns and won the mvp, after than he went to the Reds and lost about 3 years of his career.

Bolded makes no sense
  • KeepOnPushing
    KeepOnPushing Members Posts: 17,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Griffey cuz he played the hardest OF position and covered so much ground , if you have a CF that can cover that much ground with that kinda arm it's really rare to come by , and also just based off not having a roid issue

Bonds was already good but he put himself on another level with that stuff , it really looked like a grown man playing against HS kids once he got on that ? thats how dominate he became
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yea the roids make things so lopsided. Jr's swing was the ?
  • smittysmith
    Options
    .14 isn't anything to sniff at in terms of a career, thats at least like 50 more hits per season. Im not being naive about it, his career definitely should be put in perspective but at the same time he was just as productive pre 2000 in contrast to Griffey and was a much more consistent hitter. Now did HGH pro-long his prime? It definitely may have but i'm pretty sure he would of still been just as productive and consistent as Griffey during that period if he was able to stay healthy.
  • usmarin3
    Options

Bolded makes no sense

Why does it, the majority of Bonds homeruns and stats came from when he allegedly started juicing. Griffey been a 40 homerun type dude since 93. From 1993 to 2000, Jr was hiting atleast 40 hr a year except for the year he crashed into the wall and broke his leg. Most of Bonds homeruns and rbi's big numbers came in the middle of the steroid usage 2000-2004, prior to that had only 3 40 homerun seasons, Griffey had 6. Imagine if Jr had not gotten injured.
  • detcatinva
    detcatinva Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    both were 5 tool players and dont forgot bonds has won i believe 8 gold gloves so he was just as good playing defense as was ken griffey jr
  • usmarin3
    Options
    detcatinva wrote: »
    both were 5 tool players and dont forgot bonds has won i believe 8 gold gloves so he was just as good playing defense as was ken griffey jr

No he was not, Bonds arm was straight garbage. I mean who the ? was Bonds going up against for those gold gloves, Jr was going up against Kenny Lofton every year. I can't even think of a great defensive left fielder from the national league in the 90s.
  • CockMcStuffins
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Bond's onbase % numbers are inflated too because during his hulk years, pitchers were scared to pitch to him because he was knocking the cover off the ball....his number of intentional walks was insane