Jr Griffey vs Bonds

Options

Comments

• Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    detcatinva wrote: »
    both were 5 tool players and dont forgot bonds has won i believe 8 gold gloves so he was just as good playing defense as was ken griffey jr

thats simply not true. all awards aside, Griffey was one of the best to ever play the most demanding position in the outfield
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Oh yeah, JR also had to go up against Bernie Williams for the gold glove too. FYI
  • OhPee
    OhPee Members Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Damn I forget Seattle had Griffey Jr., A-Rod, Randy Johnson & Edgar Martinez at one point
  • Matt-
    Options
    And Jay Buhner
  • Matt-
    Options
    ? Jamie Moyer may have even been on one of those good Seattle teams
  • ya boi g
    ya boi g Members Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Bonds was that dude even before the steroids. He was a 30-30 guy....

Without the steroids ? he was probably still headed to the Hall. I think some people on here are probably to young to remember how good Barry was.
  • ya boi g
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    detcatinva wrote: »
    both were 5 tool players and dont forgot bonds has won i believe 8 gold gloves so he was just as good playing defense as was ken griffey jr

No he was not, Bonds arm was straight garbage. I mean who the ? was Bonds going up against for those gold gloves, Jr was going up against Kenny Lofton every year. I can't even think of a great defensive left fielder from the national league in the 90s.

True.........

lol... Bonds couldnt throw Sid Bream slow ass out when he scored that game winning run back in 92. And he was coming from second...

Most people dont know that was Bonds who threw that ball from the outfield.

But other than the arm Bonds was a good defender.
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
  • Matt-
    edited May 2012
    Options
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Young boy thread.

Everyone who knows anything knows Griffey was robbed of GOAT status by injuries...damn near in the 90's too smh

• Chef_Taylor
    Chef_Taylor Members Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2012
    Options
    When i was younger ken griffey jr was one of the reason i even cared and at times watched baseball.

Most stats would favor bonds but i always liked griffey,dude had one of the most swagged out swings in baseball.
  • Cosmic_Cannon
    Cosmic_Cannon Members Posts: 526 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Threads like this show that some of ya'll don't know ? about baseball. LMAO
    Bonds and it's not even close. He had one of the best hitting eyes ever, and is argurably the GOAT.
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    edited May 2012
    Options
    You know how many childhood summer hours i practiced that Griffey swing
  • TRILLip Brooks
    TRILLip Brooks Members Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bonds was a better all around player but Griffey was more exciting player to watch.
  • TRILLip Brooks
    TRILLip Brooks Members Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    OhPee wrote: »
    Damn I forget Seattle had Griffey Jr., A-Rod, Randy Johnson & Edgar Martinez at one point
    matt- wrote: »
    And Jay Buhner

lol at them being better and having the greatest year the season right after griffey and a rod left.
  • CockMcStuffins
    CockMcStuffins Members Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • CockMcStuffins
    Options
    And Smh at a "top 3" hitter not even having a career .300 average
  • smittysmith
    smittysmith Members Posts: 8,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Many baseball pundits were perplexed at reasoning Bonds had for wanting to take HGH, he already had the talent.

? didn't need steroids to be great.
  • CockMcStuffins
    Options
    The story goes that bonds and griffey had a dinner and at that dinner bonds said he was tired of all the attention mcgwire and Sosa was getting from their homerun race(bonds knew he was a better player than them), so he decided to juice while griffey decided to stay clean
  • dc's teflondon
    dc's teflondon Members Posts: 5,895 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    bonds>>>>>>>>>griffey..i think barry juiced to extend his career and thus make more money
  • Matt-
    Options
    if you just look at it on paper, of course bonds is the best. and not just better than griffey. on paper he could probably be looked at as the greatest player ever. but you can't ignore the elephant in the room. you can't act like that doesn't factor into it. Griffey didn't face federal charges that stemmed from steroid use, he didn't armor himself robotic arm while in the batters box. he didn't hit an abnormal amount of home runs. You can't ignore the obvious. but if anyone chooses to, then yes, he's hands down more accomplished than The Kid
  • ya boi g
    Options
    matt- wrote: »
    if you just look at it on paper, of course bonds is the best. and not just better than griffey. on paper he could probably be looked at as the greatest player ever. but you can't ignore the elephant in the room. you can't act like that doesn't factor into it. Griffey didn't face federal charges that stemmed from steroid use, he didn't armor himself robotic arm while in the batters box. he didn't hit an abnormal amount of home runs. You can't ignore the obvious. but if anyone chooses to, then yes, he's hands down more accomplished than The Kid

Bonds was probably headed to the hall before the steroids... This dude was a 30-30 guy... To me he was a better all around player than Griffey.

Griffey was more popular because he was younger(started young) easy to market and the media loved him. Thats why a lot of folks saying he was the reason they cared about baseball.
  • Matt-
    Options
    thats what kills me about bonds. had he just stayed the same size, he would have easily got the 500 home runs necessary for the hall.
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is 1 thing i love about cheap seats

Nggas will sit there, bold faced, and argue somethign that NO ONE ELSE IRL does!

Griffey is the similar to the Penny Hardaway/Grant hill of baseball...You dont hear his name mentioned w/out that 'if it werent for injuries' caveat.

If you want to speculate who WOULD have been better, thats 1 thing, but as things stand now, to even make this thread is pisspoor, and a prime example of talkin sports out your ass aka Cheapseats.

And those shoes posted are NOT Griffeys smh lol
  • Tommy bilfiger
    Tommy bilfiger Members Posts: 22,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2012
    Options
    s2jepeka wrote: »
    This is 1 thing i love about cheap seats

Nggas will sit there, bold faced, and argue somethign that NO ONE ELSE IRL does!

Griffey is the similar to the Penny Hardaway/Grant hill of baseball...You dont hear his name mentioned w/out that 'if it werent for injuries' caveat.

If you want to speculate who WOULD have been better, thats 1 thing, but as things stand now, to even make this thread is pisspoor, and a prime example of talkin sports out your ass aka Cheapseats.

And those shoes posted are NOT Griffeys smh lol

I said somethin similar to this yesterday but they banned me and erased my posts again

Bonds>>>>Griffey jr