Brian Banks To Get NFL Tryout

goodlookinout
goodlookinout Members Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2012 in From the Cheap Seats
Several NFL teams are willing to give Brian Banks a chance to fulfill his dream of playing pro football.

Banks, who last week was exonerated of a ? conviction that put him in prison for five years, told ESPN columnist Rick Reilly that he'll work out with the Seattle Seahawks on June 7. The Washington Redskins, Kansas City Chiefs and Miami Dolphins also have called to talk to him about a tryout.

"I'll make 'em happy," Banks, who's been training non-stop since October, told Reilly on Tuesday. "After all I've been through these last 10 years, I can still do some things that will impress you."

Before the charges, Banks was a star middle linebacker at Long Beach Polytechnic High School and was attracting interest from college football powerhouses such as USC, Ohio State and Michigan. He said he had agreed to a full scholarship with the Trojans.

His college football dreams ended, however, when he pleaded no contest to a childhood friend's false accusation of ? in 2002, a claim she now has recanted.

Upon his release from prison and before his exoneration last week, Banks had trouble finding work because he had to wear an electronic monitoring bracelet, was a registered sex offender and had a felony record.

His lawyer, Justin Brooks, has said Banks has been training six days a week to get in shape for a career in football.

"He has the speed and the strength. He certainly has the heart," Brooks said. "I hope he gets the attention of people in the sports world."

Banks also has received job offers outside the NFL. One of them is to "work in the front office and explore other sports opportunities" for the Arizona Diamondbacks, Banks told Reilly.

"I about fell out of my seat when I read that one," Banks said.

Epic win for him to even get a shot after all he been thru

Comments

• greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good look.

I wonder how tall he is, body type, etc.

Might plug him in at DE or TE.

No way he makes it as a MLB. That's like playing QB straight out of high school.

A movie should be made if he even makes the first training camp cut.

More interesting than "Blind Side", IMO.
  • infamous114
    infamous114 Members, Moderators Posts: 52,202 Regulator
    I hope he fulfills his dream....
  • Aristo_V300
    Aristo_V300 Members Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope he makes a team.
  • Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    he should go to college
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice to read good news for a change, I hope he makes it.
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Matt is right, all these old ass players now who sign after iraq/afganistan and other pro careers he would benifit and he wouldnt have to stay all 3 years
  • ya boi g
    ya boi g Members Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭
    matt- wrote: »
    he should go to college

I was about to say the same thing. He should try to walk on somewhere earn a scholarship and play college football. He can play a year or two and if he plays well he should enter the draft. If not he can atleast get a degree...

Either way I hope he can earn a spot on someones practice squad and make a roster someday.
  • Matt-
    ya boi g wrote: »
    he should go to college

I was about to say the same thing. He should try to walk on somewhere earn a scholarship and play college football. He can play a year or two and if he plays well he should enter the draft. If not he can atleast get a degree...

Either way I hope he can earn a spot on someones practice squad and make a roster someday.

exactly. i don't know anything about the guy other than he was a pretty major recruit. but at 26, with no football experience in the last however many years, the chances of him making a roster are very small. But a 29 year old kid, who played well in college and actually is in football shape with real football experience certainly sounds better. He wouldn't even have to be a dominant player in college, just good enough.
  • HustleThaDon
    HustleThaDon Members Posts: 28,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good ? . As for the chick who lied on him...

*Chappelle voice*

I hope all the bad things in life happen to you and only you!
  • Matt-

*Chappelle voice*

he friended her on facebook
  • Matt-
    a 29 year old dude playing college football?? nah...go for the pros

he should go for it. but what if he doesn't make a team? if college isn't the first choice, it should easily be the 2nd as long as he can get a scholarship
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    why isnt that ? who lied not in jail????????????
  • HustleThaDon

*Chappelle voice*

I don't believe that.
  • Matt-
    edited May 2012

*Chappelle voice*

I don't believe that.

sort of
    But then, last year, a chunk of luck fell from the stars. Out of the blue, Gibson, then 24, sent Banks a Facebook friend request.

Banks slammed the laptop cover down and jumped out of his chair. Was somebody playing a joke on him?

He looked again. Amazing. Gibson had typed, "Let's let bygones be bygones."

Easy for her to say. She didn't watch 10 years of her life go by.

"She was adamant about meeting me," Banks says. "I asked my brother [Freddy], 'What should I do?' He said, 'Whatever you do, make sure you play chess, not checkers.'"

Banks' first move: To get everything she said on tape. He hired a private investigator and met Gibson in the man's office, where every conversation was secretly videotaped. The tape recorded Gibson saying, clearly, "No, he did not ? me."

Was he nervous she wouldn't say it?

"I didn't have to get her to say anything," Banks said. "She came into the room expressing herself. She even came back the next day. The investigator asked her again, point blank. 'Did Brian ? you?' 'No.' 'Did he kidnap you?' 'No.'"

And why would Gibson meet with Banks in the first place? Was it a trap? Was it guilt? No. Banks thinks Gibson -- are you ready for this? -- was hoping to get back together.
  • HustleThaDon
    Let bygones be bygones? She can get the ? outta here with that. I wouldn't have two words to say to that ? . Other than "? you."
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    good ? for him
  • Matt-
    how random is it that the Arizona Diamondbacks offered him a front office job
  • Matt-
    a 29 year old dude playing college football?? nah...go for the pros

he should go for it. but what if he doesn't make a team? if college isn't the first choice, it should easily be the 2nd as long as he can get a scholarship

then he goes back to the real world...people were giving ol buddy Weeden ? for being what...26 at OSU?? And he played QB...i Just dont see this dude realistically getting a legitimate shot at a D-1 school and then you gotta think, can he go after his freshmen year? I mean, technically, he is 3 years removed from high school, but who then takes a gamble on a 30 yr old rookie defensive player...hell Ed Reed is 34 and talking about retiring...its not like he is a journeyman who went from practice squad to practice squad...he didnt play ball for 10 yrs

I would also think his conditioning would be an issue too...

yeah he could leave after a year. but i don't know, if he doesn't get a shot at the league and does get a shot in college, i think that would be kind of fun and beneficial. The conditioning alone is probably going to scare NFL teams away, but if he gets just one or two seasons of college in him he would be in better playing shape. But then again, i guess he could go play in one of these off brand leagues and still get experience and get in shape but being 26 at college, i dont know, seems fun unlesss the girls are scared of him.
  • blakfyahking
    blakfyahking Members Posts: 15,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    his attorney should be disbarred

why did he plea no contest to a ? he didn't commit?

SMH @ the justice system
  • Matt-
    Word. These juries got black folk shook
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    But Chris Weinke won his heisman at like 29....
  • PaperPlaneJane
    PaperPlaneJane Members Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2012
    his attorney should be disbarred

why did he plea no contest to a ? he didn't commit?

SMH @ the justice system

Most likely a Public Defender who either didn't know what the ? he was doing or didn't care.........betting its the latter.

• Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was he really that old? I don't remember but how long did he stick around

At the age of 28, Weinke was the oldest player ever to win the Heisman Trophy. He finished his Florida State career with a 32–3 record and held numerous FSU records including most passing yards in a career and most career touchdown passes
  • tru_m.a.c
    tru_m.a.c Members Posts: 9,091 ✭✭✭✭
    if he came in as a WR I'd be like ehhhh yeah maybe

but to be a defensive player

and a mlb at that

dude....

but if you're in his position, you have to accept it....he'd be dumb for turning it down...he's not dumb for accepting the offer

once again, sports owners/mgmt need to be saved from themselves....and of course its pete caroll and the fuckn seahawks