What is Shaq's place in history?

Options

Comments

• Crude_
    Crude_ Members Posts: 19,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    coop9889 wrote: »
    He's top 10 if the NBA were to shut down today.

He wont be top 10 after everyone currently playing is done with their careers

I'd take Shaq in his prime over any of these superstars cats in the league currently. I mean any of the (LeBron, Howard, Wade, Durant, etc.) Players like Shaq only come along once every 20 years or so. A cat like LeBron will probably end up with better stats but numbers dont tell the whole story. Shaq, Tim Duncan, and Kobe are the best players I've seen in the post Jordan era. Just my opinion.
  • coop9889
    coop9889 Members Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    coop9889 wrote: »
    He's top 10 if the NBA were to shut down today.

He wont be top 10 after everyone currently playing is done with their careers

I'd take Shaq in his prime over any of these superstars cats in the league currently. I mean any of the (LeBron, Howard, Wade, Durant, etc.) Players like Shaq only come along once every 20 years or so. A cat like LeBron will probably end up with better stats but numbers dont tell the whole story. Shaq, Tim Duncan, and Kobe are the best players I've seen in the post Jordan era. Just my opinion.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion.

I think of the current players, Kobe and Lebron will both be above Shaq. Durant might depending on how he evolves his game.

I believe Lebron will win at least 3-4 rings, and be clearly statistically better than Shaq. And depending on what power move the Lakers make this offseason, I think Kobe will win one more. And Kobe is already arguably better, statistically and rings-wise.

• KNiGHTS
    KNiGHTS Members Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Best modern day big man?

Top 5 player of all time?

Glorified Kazaam! actor?

What is Shaqs place in history?
    4× NBA Champion (2000, 2001, 2002, 2006)
    3× NBA Finals MVP (2000–2002)
    NBA Most Valuable Player (2000)
    NBA Rookie of the Year (1993)
    5× NBA All-Star (1993–1998, 2000–2007, 2009)
    2× NBA scoring champion (1995, 2000)
    8× All-NBA First Team (1998, 2000–2006)
    2× All-NBA Second Team (1995, 1999)
    4× All-NBA Third Team (1994, 1996–1997, 2009)
    3× All-Defensive Second Team (2000–2001, 2003)
    NBA All-Rookie First Team (1993)
    3× NBA All-Star Game MVP (2000, 2004, 2009)
    1994 FIBA World Championship MVP

Points 28,596 (23.7 ppg) 6th alltime
    Rebounds 13,099 (10.9 rpg) 13th alltime
    Blocks 2,732 (2.3 bpg) 7th alltime

His place, despite all those awesome ass numbers, isn't where it should be. He did all that with a ? work ethic and off sheer talent. If he worked as hard as he was talented, he'd probably have the top spot in points, rebounds, and blocks without question. Shaq made his road harder by trying to ride his athleticism only, which is why his fall off seemed so sudden.

If he developed any finesse moves to compliment his power game, we'd probably be talking about him as one of the GOATs. Put that in perspective. He's that high on the list of all-time centers while half-assing it. What would Shaq have done to the game at 100 percent effort in on and off season? Scary ? .
  • coop9889
    coop9889 Members Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    knights wrote: »

His place, despite all those awesome ass numbers, isn't where it should be. He did all that with a ? work ethic and off sheer talent. If he worked as hard as he was talented, he'd probably have the top spot in points, rebounds, and blocks without question. Shaq made his road harder by trying to ride his athleticism only, which is why his fall off seemed so sudden.

If he developed any finesse moves to compliment his power game, we'd probably be talking about him as one of the GOATs. Put that in perspective. He's that high on the list of all-time centers while half-assing it. What would Shaq have done to the game at 100 percent effort in on and off season? Scary ? .

Same ? with Randy Moss.
  • Bawse D.Lox
    Bawse D.Lox Members Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Kobe over Shaq ?????

Hell 2 the NO! Kobe may have more rings n numbers point wise, but they lie...

Shaq in his prime,post jordan era, is one of the few players, that by having him on your team. automatically put your team, in championship contention

the only 2-3 other players are Tim Duncan, Lebron and CP3....

• ocelot
    ocelot Members Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2012
    Options
    A big dude with a bigger than life personality...
    he put on this earth to entertain us...
    Basketball was his hobby/hustle...

Kobe will have a Jordan post career ( immortality, but remembered for the game)
    Shaq will have a Barkley post career ( immortality, but will be remembered more after the game)
  • KINGOFDAARCADE
    KINGOFDAARCADE Members Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Did someone just compare Dwight Howard to Shaq?

The ? outta here. Dwight Howard is a slightly better version of Elton Brand in his prime. Dwight gets a few more rebounds per game over Elton... THATS IT. They are identical other than that.
  • KINGOFDAARCADE
    Options
    I wouldn't put Duncan or Kobe above Shaq.

Duncan has only averaged more than 23ppg ONCE in his career. His blocks and rebounds are roughly the same, or less than Shaqs. Shaq scored a lot more than Duncan.

Kobe had one insane year where he averaged 35ppg. Other than that, his best years don't look a whole lot different than guys like McGrady and Iversons best years.

? are you serious? the second part of your statement should get you permanently banned.

Yeah Im serious.

Kobe had one insane year where he averaged 35ppg. Other than that, his best years don't look a whole lot different than guys like McGrady and Iversons best years.

Prove me wrong.
  • nycest_1
    nycest_1 Members Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    right below wherever wilt is statistically. and right below kareem overall as a center
  • nycest_1
    nycest_1 Members Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Most dominating player to EVER play the game. The league had to change the rules (aka flopping) just to stop him from completely taking over the game.

He's DEFINITELY top 5 to do it.
    nah that would be chamberlain.
    3 seconds, 100 pts no 3s, an a ban on dunking at one point to make it fair
    avg 50 ppg 27 rpg

• CockMcStuffins
    CockMcStuffins Members Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kobe over Shaq ?????

Shaq in his prime,post jordan era, is one of the few players, that by having him on your team. automatically put your team, in championship contention

Last time a team cp3 been on that was a title contender?
  • jaemooms
    jaemooms Members Posts: 770 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Most dominant big man I've ever seen........
  • unspoken_respect
    unspoken_respect Members Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2012
    Options
    I think he's the last truly unstoppable player we will see. The big men today can't see Shaq.
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    ? shaq was like juggernaut in the paint unstoppable
  • In Your Moms Room
    In Your Moms Room Members Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    One of he GOAT. Him and Wilt are 1a, 1b for best centers of all time.
  • blakfyahking
    blakfyahking Members Posts: 15,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I always thought Wilt was overrated

look at the era he played in

Shaq is def top 3 IMO
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    knights wrote: »

That's one of the worst arguments I've ever heard. Shaq's career was definitely not based off of sheer talent. Just to let you know, developing a post game takes just as much practice as developing a mid-range game. Basketball at that level isn't easy no matter what position you play.

Trust me, Shaq put in a whole lot of work on his game. A whole lot.

And that half-assing it statement is irrelevant. Players have a certain playing style based on their tendencies and personality. Shaq played the way he played because he was who he was. He put in as much effort as he was going to ever put in the game and that's that. Miss me with that what-if ? .

Kobe over Shaq ?????

Lebron and CP3? LMAO! Lebron loses in terrible fashion every time rare time he makes it to the finals, and Chris Paul can't make it past the 2nd round.

Also, Kobe over Shaq is arguable. Kobe is probably the only guard that could be put over Shaq.
    nycest_1 wrote: »
    nah that would be chamberlain.
    3 seconds, 100 pts no 3s, an a ban on dunking at one point to make it fair
    avg 50 ppg 27 rpg

He was playing against mostly short white boys. There was no 3 second rule or flopping, so he could literally just plant himself in the lane and score.

Also as dominate as he was, he only won 2 rings. ... I'm taking Shaq any day.
  • gh0st
    gh0st Members Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    2308625_o.gif

Because of this in his ROOKIE year the NBA completely changed the regulations on the goals/rims. I'm just sayin...
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    Shaq is right behind Kareem, Olajuwon, and Robinson
  • f.e.d.s.
    f.e.d.s. Members Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Most dominate center of his era. Not better than Wilt, Karrem, Russell, Hakeem, and tied at 5 with Robinson
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shaq is right behind Kareem, Olajuwon, and Robinson

Hes definitely not behind Robinson.(is there another Robinson because.. you cant possibly be talking about David Robinson)

Did Wilt Chamberlain die or something........
  • KINGOFDAARCADE
    Options
    f.e.d.s. wrote: »
    Most dominate center of his era. Not better than Wilt, Karrem, Russell, Hakeem, and tied at 5 with Robinson

Tied with Robinson? Robinson who? I hope you're not talking about David Robinson, because Shaq obliterates him in every way.

• wilberdmillz
    wilberdmillz Members Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How can I really rate him against some old players that I've never had the pleasure of actually seeing play before tho'?

With that being said Shaq is top 5 ever regardless of position.
    In no order, Jordan, Hakeem, Kobe, Barkley, Shaq

• KINGOFDAARCADE
    edited June 2012
    Options
    ^barkley??

i disagree
  • one_manshow
    one_manshow Members Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How can I really rate him against some old players that I've never had the pleasure of actually seeing play before tho'?

With that being said Shaq is top 5 ever regardless of position.
    In no order, Jordan, Hakeem, Kobe, Barkley, Shaq

Born in 1997 post...smh