What is Shaq's place in history?

13»

Comments

• wilberdmillz
    wilberdmillz Members Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How can I really rate him against some old players that I've never had the pleasure of actually seeing play before tho'?

With that being said Shaq is top 5 ever regardless of position.
    In no order, Jordan, Hakeem, Kobe, Barkley, Shaq

Born in 1997 post...smh

Not at all, I was 10 in 92', which is when I really start watching sports and understanding whats going on. Honestly how can I rate players from the 60's, 70's and 80's when I never really watched them play? Only thing I know them by is highlights and highlights can make anybody look good.
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2012
    How can I really rate him against some old players that I've never had the pleasure of actually seeing play before tho'?

With that being said Shaq is top 5 ever regardless of position.
    In no order, Jordan, Hakeem, Kobe, Barkley, Shaq

Cosizzle, Shaq is DEFINITELY top 5 and cosign your top 5 besides Barkley. I would put Kareem in there instead of Barkley, and move Hakeem out and insert Isiah Thomas or Iverson for that last spot.

I can't ? with Bird no defense playing or Magic no jumpshot having behind. Nor can I cosign old ass grandpa dudes like Oscar, Russell and Wilt who's legacy is based on youtube highlights and out of context numbers ..... FOH.
  • locksmith1
    locksmith1 Members Posts: 293
    Shaq is a definite top ten player of all time. He was that catalyst that changed Orlando into a title contender and led the Lakers to three consecutives titles and helped the Heat won their first title in 2006.
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Barkley goes ahead of shaq for taking shaq down
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Barkley goes ahead of shaq for taking shaq down

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0vCaZkULds
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most dominant player ever
  • WhoisDonG???
    WhoisDonG??? Members Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ? young as ? Shaq is top 5 period the NBA change the rules because he was unstoppable. He the reason ya Idol Kobe has of those 5 rings. And DWade got his. Only thing that stop Shaq was age.
  • KNiGHTS
    KNiGHTS Members Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭✭✭
    knights wrote: »

His place, despite all those awesome ass numbers, isn't where it should be. He did all that with a ? work ethic and off sheer talent. If he worked as hard as he was talented, he'd probably have the top spot in points, rebounds, and blocks without question. Shaq made his road harder by trying to ride his athleticism only, which is why his fall off seemed so sudden.

If he developed any finesse moves to compliment his power game, we'd probably be talking about him as one of the GOATs. Put that in perspective. He's that high on the list of all-time centers while half-assing it. What would Shaq have done to the game at 100 percent effort in on and off season? Scary ? .

That's one of the worst arguments I've ever heard. Shaq's career was definitely not based off of sheer talent. Just to let you know, developing a post game takes just as much practice as developing a mid-range game. Basketball at that level isn't easy no matter what position you play.

Trust me, Shaq put in a whole lot of work on his game. A whole lot.

And that half-assing it statement is irrelevant. Players have a certain playing style based on their tendencies and personality. Shaq played the way he played because he was who he was. He put in as much effort as he was going to ever put in the game and that's that. Miss me with that what-if ? .

Kobe over Shaq ?????

Hell 2 the NO! Kobe may have more rings n numbers point wise, but they lie...

Shaq in his prime,post jordan era, is one of the few players, that by having him on your team. automatically put your team, in championship contention

the only 2-3 other players are Tim Duncan, Lebron and CP3....

Lebron and CP3? LMAO! Lebron loses in terrible fashion every time rare time he makes it to the finals, and Chris Paul can't make it past the 2nd round.

Also, Kobe over Shaq is arguable. Kobe is probably the only guard that could be put over Shaq.
    nycest_1 wrote: »
    nah that would be chamberlain.
    3 seconds, 100 pts no 3s, an a ban on dunking at one point to make it fair
    avg 50 ppg 27 rpg

He was playing against mostly short white boys. There was no 3 second rule or flopping, so he could literally just plant himself in the lane and score.

Also as dominate as he was, he only won 2 rings. ... I'm taking Shaq any day.

He didn't develop his post game further because his dad told him he didn't need to because he could run everyone over. That's a paraphrased statement from the man himself. I know he put his work in, but his physique, like Barkley's, showed when he stopped doing that and went into cruise control.