8-Year-Old Gets 'Catastrophe Award' for Most Homework Excuses. How would you react as a parent?

Options
[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
edited May 2012 in For The Grown & Sexy
The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
  • fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Good for her yo.

Congrats to the kid.

I did my homework like a sucka in school.

SMH @ Not even being able to give a student an honest award these days though.

? stay complaining.
  • Sage Wonder
    Sage Wonder Members Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I wish I could have received an acknowledgement for all the days I spent in recess detention for lack of homework participation. That ? takes dedication to throw your recess time away.
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
  • Gucci Scott King
    Gucci Scott King Members Posts: 883 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • DNB1
    DNB1 Members Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My son clever enough to drop that certificate in the trash before he get home and act like it never happened, and threaten any of his team that dared mention it round me or his mama.

This kid was dumb.
  • mdcu16
    mdcu16 Members Posts: 297
    Options
    I think the parent was more embarrassed than the child... She should be. How does an 8 year old not complete her homework without the parent knowing?
  • 1of1
    1of1 Members Posts: 37,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Amotekun
    Amotekun Members Posts: 7,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Teacher was trill. Woulda been extra special had she stapled a Kmart app on the back of it.
    "Good Luck in your Future Endeavors.'
  • J-GUTTA
    J-GUTTA Members Posts: 9,107 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    mdcu16 wrote: »
    I think the parent was more embarrassed than the child... She should be. How does an 8 year old not complete her homework without the parent knowing?

Mom was probably to busy getting ready to go out. ? even with my parents not speaking much English when I was in elementary school my parents knew there was no way in hell I didn't have homework.

• dallas' 4 eva
    dallas' 4 eva Members Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @J-GUTTA - Bro you gone need to put names of these girls in yo sig cause once again I gotta ask who the ? is that? lol

I seen this ? yesterday when it was posted, mama ? fault. If she wasn't so concerned with going out to shake her ? ass at the club she would know her daughter is ? up in school.
  • J-GUTTA
    J-GUTTA Members Posts: 9,107 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @J-GUTTA - Bro you gone need to put names of these girls in yo sig cause once again I gotta ask who the ? is that? lol

I seen this ? yesterday when it was posted, mama ? fault. If she wasn't so concerned with going out to shake her ? ass at the club she would know her daughter is ? up in school.

see below or above which ever way you want to look at it.

• mdcu16
    mdcu16 Members Posts: 297
    Options
    J-GUTTA wrote: »
    mdcu16 wrote: »

Mom was probably to busy getting ready to go out. ? even with my parents not speaking much English when I was in elementary school my parents knew there was no way in hell I didn't have homework.

Right, my parents were young but checked my assignment folder and homework faithfully

• The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    SMH, this chick was probably really looking for sympathy. How was the kid humiliated anyway? It's not like she didn't know she wasn't doing her homework, and I'm pretty sure the rest of the class also knew it. She's 8 years old. What's that, like 2nd grade? There is no good reason for her not to have been doing her homework.
  • RawAce
    RawAce Members Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2012
    Options
    wait, the teacher's name is Ms. Plowman

wow

she could never teach HS
  • black caesar
    black caesar Members Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    As ? up as the teacher was, the parent should had been on her job.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    As ? up as the teacher was, the parent should had been on her job.

I really don't see where the teacher was all that ? up. Seems to me she was just trying to make light of an ongoing theme throughout the year. I can remember teachers joking around with us like that when we were coming up. People are so soft nowadays. They want to cause an international incident over every little thing.
  • MsSouthern
    MsSouthern Members, Moderators Posts: 21,791 Regulator
    Options
    As a parent I would be completely embarassed. And YES it is her mother's fault for not being involved with her kids schooling.

But the teacher is DEAD WRONG... that is a horrible award to give a child. If it was my child I would still have issues with it and be talking to the principal about the teachers actions.

No excuse for the teacher's behavior ... at all
  • The Lonious Monk
    edited May 2012
    Options
    As a parent I would be completely embarassed. And YES it is her mother's fault for not being involved with her kids schooling.

But the teacher is DEAD WRONG... that is a horrible award to give a child. If it was my child I would still have issues with it and be talking to the principal about the teachers actions.

No excuse for the teacher's behavior ... at all

That's way too sensitive a reaction IMO. What world are you raising your child to live in because this little joke is very mild in comparison to a lot of things she's going to come against in her life. Do you really want to teach your child to fly off the handle for every little off color thing that's done or said to her? I don't think the teacher was really trying to be mean spirited with this. Again, it seemed like it was a common theme that popped up through the year, and she was just poking fun at it. I'm willing to bet the kid didn't even have a problem with it. She probably didn't even think anything was wrong until she got home and the mother had a fit.

Not to mention that what the article doesn't state was whether or not this award was unique. It's possible that multiple joke awards of that nature were given out and it was basically a fun little thing done in the class and not a specific jab at this particular student.
  • MsSouthern
    MsSouthern Members, Moderators Posts: 21,791 Regulator
    edited May 2012
    Options
    talking to an adminstrator is not flying off the handle. It's called the chain of command.

to me it is a form of being a bully... a teacher calling an 8 yr old out in front of her peers is unacceptable and not professional at all

if the child was making fun of another student ... she would be in trouble at school. Why is this any different?

I'm not excusing the mom's role in all of this..... but that's a different issue.
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    talking to an adminstrator is not flying off the handle. It's called the chain of command.

to me it is a form of being a bully... a teacher calling an 8 yr old out in front of her peers is unacceptable and not professional at all

if the child was making fun of another student ... she would be in trouble at school. Why is this any different?

I'm not excusing the mom's role in all of this..... but that's a different issue.

I have to agree with this. If you have a problem with homework for a 8 year old, take it up with the parent. Lord knows doing homework with my son was a chore and a half. If I missed a day. His teacher wrote it on the evaluation for the week. Got my attention immediately.

Now on the other hand, yeah, The momma slipping. How the hell you dont know your 8 yo child aint doing homework? i learned at a early age when your child say they dont have homework make them do something. That hour will be used for something creative.
  • dallas' 4 eva
    dallas' 4 eva Members Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @MsSouthern - Real talk though the mother should appreciate the fact the teacher at least NOTICED the fact that her child was ? up. A lot of teachers give no ? and are there for a paycheck.

And how is that a form of being a bully? Explain please.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

Flying off the handle is making an issue out of this to begin with. It's nothing.

And kids poke and joke with each other all the time. They do not always get in trouble for that. It's all about context. If it was a case where the teacher, made it a point to humiliate this child in front of her peers, then I'd agree. But I don't think that's what happened here. Sounds like they were just doing a "year in review" type thing giving out silly awards. Again, the fact that she did this means it was a theme throughout the year that everybody already knew about. It was probably something that had been mentioned earlier as a concern, and at this point with the year ending, the teacher was making light of it.

To me, if you raise a child to be sensitive about something this trivial, then you're prepping them for a rough life, cause ? will only get harsher as they get older.
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't really have any problem with what the teacher did. People need to stop being so thin skinned.