8-Year-Old Gets 'Catastrophe Award' for Most Homework Excuses. How would you react as a parent?

Options

Comments

• fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Will Munny wrote: »
    I don't really have any problem with what the teacher did. People need to stop being so thin skinned.
    Real ? ? .
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    My mama would had whooped my ass
  • MsSouthern
    MsSouthern Members, Moderators Posts: 21,791 Regulator
    Options
    @MsSouthern - Real talk though the mother should appreciate the fact the teacher at least NOTICED the fact that her child was ? up. A lot of teachers give no ? and are there for a paycheck.

And how is that a form of being a bully? Explain please.

Making fun of a child in front of her peers has bully-like. The teacher should be held at a higher standard than a kid. She was wrong... out of all the awards she could have made up THIS is what she chose to do. It's mean sprited.
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lol @ the momma giving excuses because of the excuses award her daughter won...
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @MsSouthern - Real talk though the mother should appreciate the fact the teacher at least NOTICED the fact that her child was ? up. A lot of teachers give no ? and are there for a paycheck.

Making fun of a child in front of her peers has bully-like. The teacher should be held at a higher standard than a kid. She was wrong... out of all the awards she could have made up THIS is what she chose to do. It's mean sprited.

lol So now any kind of ribbing from one person to another is bullying? You're really going overboard.
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    but when i was that age she made sure i did hw
  • MsSouthern
    Options
    talking to an adminstrator is not flying off the handle. It's called the chain of command.

to me it is a form of being a bully... a teacher calling an 8 yr old out in front of her peers is unacceptable and not professional at all

if the child was making fun of another student ... she would be in trouble at school. Why is this any different?

I'm not excusing the mom's role in all of this..... but that's a different issue.

Flying off the handle is making an issue out of this to begin with. It's nothing.

And kids poke and joke with each other all the time. They do not always get in trouble for that. It's all about context. If it was a case where the teacher, made it a point to humiliate this child in front of her peers, then I'd agree. But I don't think that's what happened here. Sounds like they were just doing a "year in review" type thing giving out silly awards. Again, the fact that she did this means it was a theme throughout the year that everybody already knew about. It was probably something that had been mentioned earlier as a concern, and at this point with the year ending, the teacher was making light of it.

To me, if you raise a child to be sensitive about something this trivial, then you're prepping them for a rough life, cause ? will only get harsher as they get older.

How do you know she didn't want to humiliate the child... was this an award given every year to a student? Or just to call this one child out?

Year in review does not include embarassing a child. She could have said "best smile" or " most creative" or something better and more uplifting to the child

I mean damn she is only 8 years old... this issue should have been addressed witht her parents long before the end of the year awards.
  • dallas' 4 eva
    dallas' 4 eva Members Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @TheLoniousMonk pretty much said exactly what I was gonna say. To quote Major Pain "Pop yo ? out his mouth AND QUIT BABYING HIM!!!"
  • fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2012
    Options
    I literally just googled "end of the year class award ideas" and found this in the first result:
    End of the Year Awards
    Posted by:luv2teach77 #136020
    Print this Item Clip to ScrapBook Report this item

Here's a list of ideas I've come across on PT:

* The Survivor (Math, Soc. Studies, Science etc.) Award- for the student who struggled with one thing or another but managed to hang in there.
    * Mathlete Award for excellence in math
    * Nobel Peace Prize for those students who are so able to work well and get along with others. Or you could call it the Peace Corps Award
    * The Thomas Edison Award for outstanding science students.
    * The Tortoise and Hare Award for never giving up the race and winning.
    * Most Improvement Award in any subject area.
    * The CATastrophe award for having the most excuses for not having homework.
    * The Class Clown award.
    * The Most Helpful Award I had several who were always asking me if I needed someone to run papers to the copy room or pick up my mail or just run an errand.
    * The Emily Post Award for best manners,...

INB4 parents start ? about the bolded awards too.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    talking to an adminstrator is not flying off the handle. It's called the chain of command.

to me it is a form of being a bully... a teacher calling an 8 yr old out in front of her peers is unacceptable and not professional at all

if the child was making fun of another student ... she would be in trouble at school. Why is this any different?

I'm not excusing the mom's role in all of this..... but that's a different issue.

Flying off the handle is making an issue out of this to begin with. It's nothing.

And kids poke and joke with each other all the time. They do not always get in trouble for that. It's all about context. If it was a case where the teacher, made it a point to humiliate this child in front of her peers, then I'd agree. But I don't think that's what happened here. Sounds like they were just doing a "year in review" type thing giving out silly awards. Again, the fact that she did this means it was a theme throughout the year that everybody already knew about. It was probably something that had been mentioned earlier as a concern, and at this point with the year ending, the teacher was making light of it.

To me, if you raise a child to be sensitive about something this trivial, then you're prepping them for a rough life, cause ? will only get harsher as they get older.

How do you know she didn't want to humiliate the child... was this an award given every year to a student? Or just to call this one child out?

Year in review does not include embarassing a child. She could have said "best smile" or " most creative" or something better and more uplifting to the child

I mean damn she is only 8 years old... this issue should have been addressed witht her parents long before the end of the year awards.

I've already pointed out that we don't know all the details. I don't know for a fact that she wasn't trying to humiliate the child, just like you don't know for a fact she was. I do know that if she was trying to humiliate the kid, there are more effective ways of doing it than giving her a bright colorful piece of paper with a smiley face on it.

You're making it seem like she gave the kid the "Ugliest Hoe in the Class" award. If this little girl went to class and every other day had some wild excuse for not having her homework, the issue was something that was already out there. It's something that was already noted and addressed. This award seems to clearly be a lighthearted reference to that. If the kid wasn't embarrassed about not having her homework everyday, why would she be embarrassed by the teacher making reference to the fact that she didn't have her homework.

She is only 8 years old, but this isn't as serious as you're trying to make it. Adults playfully tease little kids on this level all of the time. It's not harmful. No wonder kids are so soft these days. We got parents out here teaching them to cry about every little thing that is said or done to them. What's up with that?
  • Amotekun
    Amotekun Members Posts: 7,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Wack ? . The mom should just own up to her Fail.

This is why we have weak ass powder puff suicidal kids now.

If I brought that ? home my folks would've whooped my

ass, hung the award on the fridge so I'd have to explain it to

everybody that came over and made me spend the

summer making up ALL those missed assignments.

Let me guess the mom must not have seen any report card either

usually not doing your HW reflects in the grades, or you know

mentioned in a Parent-teacher conference.
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2012
    Options
    J-GUTTA wrote: »
    @J-GUTTA - Bro you gone need to put names of these girls in yo sig cause once again I gotta ask who the ? is that? lol

I seen this ? yesterday when it was posted, mama ? fault. If she wasn't so concerned with going out to shake her ? ass at the club she would know her daughter is ? up in school.

see below or above which ever way you want to look at it.

Gave u GOAT for sig ? damn....
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2012
    Options
    As for topic at hand this mom failed...and also I wonder if the teacher ever attempted to contact the mom to let her know that her child wasnt bringing in homework.
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    Damn, thats crazy. The parent is at fault for not being involved with her daughters homework, and the teacher should have not embarrassed her in front of the class.

The logical solution is both teacher and daughter get punched in the mouth.
  • MsSouthern
    Options

lol So now any kind of ribbing from one person to another is bullying? You're really going overboard.

we can just disagree on this ... I'm not going to keep repeating myself

you have no issues with a teacher teasing a kid... I do

when you have kids you might feel different.
  • tru_m.a.c
    tru_m.a.c Members Posts: 9,091 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    at 8 its wrong

but damn I def won that muhfucka in high school
  • The Lonious Monk
    edited May 2012
    Options

we can just disagree on this ... I'm not going to keep repeating myself

you have no issues with a teacher teasing a kid... I do

when you have kids you might feel different.

I do have a child, and I have also been a child. I didn't have a problem when my teachers teased and joked around with us when I was younger, and wouldn't have a problem with something silly like this if it was done to my daughter. What would I look like teaching my daughter to catch feelings over every little thing? I teach her the exact opposite. Again, it would be one thing if the teacher was specifically singling this child out to humiliate her, but based on what fiat posted, that's not the case.

But we can agree to disagree.
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    As i parent i have no problem with this at all. and it worked b/c they know have the parent's attention. Apparently she hasn't been paying attention to her child's schoolwork but yet she noticed this b/c her child was embarrassed. The parent put her child in this position. This should make that parent look in the mirror and wake the ? up.

My daughter is 9 and so far i've never had this problem. I check her folder everyday for what she needs to have done and by when. Teacher points out where she struggling and we work on it. ? she does all her homework now before i pick her up so she can go outside and play as soon as possible or get on bearville.

• Cabana_Da_Don
    Cabana_Da_Don Members Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2012
    Options
    The only time a teacher ? on me it caused a fight in freshmen year.I whooped this kids ass for thinking he could clown on me like the teacher did.Word is the teacher almost ? himself.? had no clue I would whoop someones ass to send him a message.
  • Young_Chitlin
    Young_Chitlin Members Posts: 23,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    SMH my state loses yet again.

I'm not a parent but if I were in that position, it would be a wake up call for me to step my parenting up. If I'm letting my kid slip like that and don't correct it then, how is he or she going to be in high school? What hope would I have for my kid to go to a quality college? The mom has absolutely no room to talk whatsover.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • G Mack
    G Mack Members Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hoodrat moms are woat
  • Gucci Scott King
    Gucci Scott King Members Posts: 883 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This will not haunt the girl, so i don't think the teacher did anything wrong.
  • Knives Amilli
    Knives Amilli Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2012
    Options
    That doesn't particularly sit well with me. The "award" reeks of condescension and shaming as opposed to actually solving the issue. A more formal means of informing the parent such as a phone call or a letter from the principal would've more than sufficed.

But if this was in good fun, then its all good. Lets not act like that there isn't an overall apathy/averson to homework that exists all throughout school and I applaud a teacher who recognizes it and is making fun out of it, cuz Rao knows they'll NEVER get every kid to take it serious all the time.
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options
    the real question is why that ? girl brought that award home in the first place. ? woulda gone in the trash never to be seen or heard from again. on to enjoying the summer.