Racism in hollywood.She´s black in the book but they made her white in the movie.Hunger games.

Cabana_Da_Don
Cabana_Da_Don Members Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2012 in For The Grown & Sexy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNxb28j5C1w
What kind of ? is that.The main character is a black girl.Her mom is white but her pops was black.Her sis is also black and the rest of the cast well who gives a ? .But her town is suppost to be mostly black and they made the whole movie white!!!How the ? did this get by?

Comments

• VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Old news, if it's Katniss or w/e, I heard she was Indian, Native American etc..
  • Mr.LV
    Mr.LV Members Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never read the books but I remember when this movie came out and there was uproar over that black girl that was in it.
  • Cabana_Da_Don
    VIBE wrote: »
    Old news, if it's Katniss or w/e, I heard she was Indian, Native American etc..

? outta here shawty was black.All indications of her being black espeacilly the father.Talking about how he sang great and how his skin was dark...AND THE WHOLE TOWN WAS DARK.
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    She's a good actress so I don't really give a ? .
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never read the books, but I did see that fans of the book were ? because they made a girl that was black in the book black in the movie. They probably would have boycott the movie if it was as filled with black people as you suggest it should have been.
  • Cabana_Da_Don
    Man I'm late because I wanted to read the book before talking about the subject.
  • KingJamal
    KingJamal Members Posts: 20,652 ✭✭✭✭✭
    U late as hell
  • Bully_Pulpit
    Bully_Pulpit Members Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yeah this ? was discussed ad nauseam a few months back
  • The Prodigalson
    The Prodigalson Members, Writer Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So we gone act like the remake of the Honey mooners wasn't two ? ?
  • Cabana_Da_Don
    Will Munny wrote: »

Man it's not about black or white it's about black not being GOOD in hollywoods eyes b.If they made Biggie white would that make any sense.? there's like 100's of good white actors out there that could have played biggie.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

Man it's not about black or white it's about black not being GOOD in hollywoods eyes b.If they made Biggie white would that make any sense.? there's like 100's of good white actors out there that could have played biggie.

Man, it's not even a black thing. Let's not forget that the entire casts of the DBE and Airbenders were changed from Asian to White. You can't even really blame Hollywood for that. The movie industry is a business. Hollywood whitewashes a lot of stuff because the greater white population won't really support things otherwise. As I just noted, there were a lot of HG fans that were upset and wished they hadn't even seen the movie because a character that was undoubtedly stated to be black in the books was black in the movie.

• Amotekun
    Amotekun Members Posts: 7,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For real doe?

Why are we expecting Hollywood to tell a story featuring sympathetic or relatable Black characters?

We need to form our own Black movie industry to tell our own stories. Folks act like Black people can't make money in with an all black cast telling a Black focused non shucking sans jiving story.

Our audience already exists just gotta tap into it.

Hollywood are the same people who made egyptians arab lookin dudes and totally ignore the real for the fabricated.
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭

? you prolly right
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So we gone act like the remake of the Honey mooners wasn't two ? ?

slept on post!!!!!!!!!

MFer crying over BS! call me when more African american vote. Call me when urban schools filled with AA, stop being the last in ranking for test and outside contributions by the community. Call me when Black people stop making excuse about the "MAN" and actually start being the "MAN" and change something.
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you not see The Last Airbender?
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Man I'm late because I wanted to read the book before talking about the subject.
    unless you're 13 years old i'd advise you not to read the books.

i haven't seen the movie tho i thought they made the girl light skinned or something? you're talkin about that little girl rue right?
  • HustleTree
    HustleTree Members Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok who cares ...I remember when I was a kid and Nick Fury was white ...Avengers just dropped and hes black ...I dont see anyone crying about that
  • KingJamal
    KingJamal Members Posts: 20,652 ✭✭✭✭✭
    HustleTree wrote: »
    Ok who cares ...I remember when I was a kid and Nick Fury was white ...Avengers just dropped and hes black ...I dont see anyone crying about that
    I think thats cuz in the Ultimate Avengers Fury IS black

• harry knucklez
    harry knucklez Members Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2012
    I know that the Dragon Ball Z Evolution movie was terrible, but they even had a white boy playing Goku whose obviously Asian in the cartoon.

And then there's The Love Guru with Mike Myers. Hollywood stay on that ? .
  • Purr
    Purr Members Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭✭

Biggie is a poor example in the point you were trying to make :(

Biggie movie was considered a biopic. Hence, they would try to find someone similar in looks, characteristics, and voice pattern to be like Biggie.

Now, we are talking about characters in a book, where casting has an ability to change the characters look and etc.

tbh, im ? that catwoman in the new batman movie is Ann Hathaway. I should be a black woman. but Halle Berry ? it up for all new coming black women for that role. :(
  • angrymaninc
    angrymaninc Members Posts: 657 ✭✭✭

Biggie is a poor example in the point you were trying to make :(

Biggie movie was considered a biopic. Hence, they would try to find someone similar in looks, characteristics, and voice pattern to be like Biggie.

Now, we are talking about characters in a book, where casting has an ability to change the characters look and etc.

tbh, im ? that catwoman in the new batman movie is Ann Hathaway. I should be a black woman. but Halle Berry ? it up for all new coming black women for that role. :(

Why do you think catwoman should be played by a black woman?
  • powerman 5000
    powerman 5000 Members Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    would have been banned in france because no one could relate....
  • deelight
    deelight Members Posts: 223 ✭✭
    Katniss wasn't black, she was milatto...more on the mediterranean olive skin completion. They did darken the actors skin a lil and they admit it.. Ummm if she was truly supposed to be black don't u think the author of the book would've said something? And no she wasn't just happy to have her book made into a movie, authors have their pride when it comes to their art. But u use ur imagination when you read books most of the time,and in these books she didn't really make a person seem black or white,she just have small details and you used your imagination for the rest. Hollywood changes things up all the time..looks who's coming to dinner changed after the years. Just expect the unexpected with Hollywood.. Like someone said look at catwoman....
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah black folk don't complain when white characters are played by blacks....But its outrage when its reversed...Catwoman bein' a good example...

Not seen the film, but its understandable if they didn't wanna fill up the movie with ? ...White people see more than one main black character and automatically its 'unrelatable'