themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2012 in From the Cheap Seats

Tony Romo unfairly blamed for Dallas Cowboys' woes

By Marc Sessler
Writer
Published: May 29, 2012 at 05:16 p.m.
Updated: May 29, 2012 at 10:48 p.m.

Print

It almost doesn't matter what Tony Romo does on the field. He's among football's better quarterbacks statistically, but his critics are never far behind.

You hear it all the time: The Dallas Cowboys' starting signal-caller is a bumbler down the stretch. However, Jonathan Bales, from the team's official website, has crunched the numbers to counteract this line of thinking.

Rapoport: Dallas' plan for Jenkins

Cowboys CB Mike Jenkins is skipping OTAs, asking for a trade. But Ian Rapoport says Dallas has plans for the angry corner. More ...

The anti-Romo movement was launched in earnest after a mind-bending playoff gaffe against the Seattle Seahawks in January 2007. Romo hasn't been perfect since, but he shapes up as a guy unfairly pegged for the franchise's troubles. Let's take a look:

• Romo's career passer rating of 96.9 is the second-highest in NFL history, behind Aaron Rodgers (104.1). The rest of the top five includes Steve Young, Tom Brady and Philip Rivers. Solid company.

• Romo's a bust in the clutch, right? Wrong. His passer rating of 97.1 shoots up to 102.9 in the fourth quarter in games since 2008, according to Bales. Romo has thrown 30 touchdown passes and just eight interceptions in the fourth quarter over the past four seasons.

• In the game's final minutes, Romo only improves. With less than two minutes to go in the half since 2008, Romo's 91.7 passer rating places him among the game's best:

Aaron Rodgers: 94.5
Drew Brees: 93.6
Tom Brady: 92.7
Romo: 91.7
Eli Manning: 91.5

It's time to think twice before leaning on the lazy assumption that Romo has somehow failed as an NFL quarterback. One lingering problem for Romo is that he remains the only figure on this list without a Super Bowl title.

The way we see it, this is as much a Cowboys problem as it is a Romo problem

Comments

• Jdilla26
    Jdilla26 Members Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Very good QB but how many wins does he have in the post season
  • Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    romo stays ? up.
  • Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    true...

but the QB alway gon take the most blame loses. just like they get the most credit for wins.
  • BlackThor356
    BlackThor356 Members Posts: 850 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    he's the worst kind of team cancer...

if they win, itz cuz of him, and if they lose...its cuz of him, and they happen to lose more than they win
  • In Your Moms Room
    In Your Moms Room Members Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Romo ? up in the Lions and first Giants game. If we won those games, we would have been in the playoffs. The defense was wack, yes. But Romo does get the blame for last years 8-8 record.
  • Jdilla26
    Options
  • In Your Moms Room
    In Your Moms Room Members Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Jdilla26 wrote: »
    pb1.gif?t=1258689915

That ? burns deep into my soul. ? you for bringing it up, lol.
  • Already Home_17
    Already Home_17 Members Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    romo doesnt deserve all of the blame but he deserves some

he did botch that snap against the seahawks
    he did throw the game losing pick in the endzone against the giants in the playoffs. that was the year they went 13-3 and swept the giants in the reg. season. they were heavy favorites.
    the cowboys in general didnt play well down the stretch the following year and missed the playoffs. they lost to the eagles 44-6 in their last game of the season. romo committed 3 turnovers
    romo fumbled the ball 3 times and threw one pick against the vikings in the playoffs the following year
    and he played well last season. i blame the defense more than i do romo

• dallas' 4 eva
    dallas' 4 eva Members Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

he did throw the game losing pick in the endzone against the giants in the playoffs. that was the year they went 13-3 and swept the giants in the reg. season. they were heavy favorites.
    the cowboys in general didnt play well down the stretch the following year and missed the playoffs. they lost to the eagles 44-6 in their last game of the season. romo committed 3 turnovers
    romo fumbled the ball 3 times and threw one pick against the vikings in the playoffs the following year

You must of not watched that game? That was the O-lines fault for not protecting Romo. He was getting chased like a runaway slave in that damn game, Jarred Allen and those Williams boys came for his head and got it.
  • Already Home_17
    Already Home_17 Members Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You must of not watched that game?

i did. before i listed romo's faults i said he deserves SOME of the blame, not all. im not saying the cowboys failures were all his fault, but he contributed to them. then, i simply listed how
  • unspoken_respect
    unspoken_respect Members Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2012
    Options
    He does deserve some of the blame. It could be said that people unfairly defend him. Some of his turnovers were ”wtfs”.
  • Jdilla26
    Options
    pb1.gif?t=1258689915

That ? burns deep into my soul. ? you for bringing it up, lol.
    LOL no problem
  • Co_Town_Michael
    Co_Town_Michael Members Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Romo doesn't make an excessive amount of mistakes, but when he does, they usually look like really bad ones.
    I can understand why he gets the blame from Cowboys fans, but its for the wrong reasons.
    Typical Cowboys fans would say, "Romo just sucks period.", when in reality he only sucks sometimes in certain spots that causes them to lose games.
  • angrymaninc
    angrymaninc Members Posts: 657 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Here's the bottom line... romo is a very good qb BUT he stays f_ing up during crucial moments... and you can show all 4th quarter stats to try and prove otherwise that don't mean ish... the boys can have a comfortable lead and romo will play like a ? in the 4th... but when the game is up for grabs romo is known to choke plain and simple
  • ocelot
    ocelot Members Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Why is ESPN caping Romo?
    Saying hes top 5? GTFOH...

I dont care about stats...

Romo had his chances and hes playing for Americas Team...

but if Romo is top 5 I would take 6-10 over him...
  • dallas' 4 eva
    Options
    ocelot wrote: »
    Why is ESPN caping Romo?
    Saying hes top 5? GTFOH...

I dont care about stats...

Romo had his chances and hes playing for Americas Team...

but if Romo is top 5 I would take 6-10 over him...

I mean if you go by stats Romo has been top 5 since his first full year as a starter. People just don't want to admit that because he has had some serious ? ups in crucial situations. Honestly any QB that plays for the Cowboys is automatically considered a failure unless he wins, period.

It's our teams pedigree bro, you don't go from building probably the best dynasty team ever to going a decade and a half without a playoff win. Fact of the matter is look at the history of the team, all the winning seasons, super bowl titles, playoff berths, division crowns. Look at some of the teams we have built, that '06-'07 team could have EASILY won a super bowl, but got steam rolled by a far inferior team. Who are the fans going to blame? Of course the quarterback.

Romo is just like Danny White, honestly. People say he sucks and all that, but in reality he is actually far better than he gets credit for.
  • GettinLo
    GettinLo Members Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If Tony Romo played for the Browns, Falcons, Vikings, Lions, Cheifs, etc those stats would be great and he's be treated with sympathy... but he plays for the Cowboys and the expectations there are Super Bowl or bust, EVERY season... Also playing QB in Dallas means you get compared to Aikman and Staubach which means you gotta get rings.. Romo has yet to play in a conf Championship game let alone winning a Super Bowl.
  • Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    pb1.gif?t=1258689915

this gif funny as ? tho

• will grimey
    will grimey Members Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Romo gets blamed too much...Get off his nuts and witness wtf my Boys gonna do this season...Romo is easily Top 7 QB EVERY season for the past 5 seasons...I dare you to argue against that and be right..
  • coop9889
    coop9889 Members Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The same ? that think Romo aint ? are usually the same type of ? ? that think Lebron aint ? .

They think neither of them are clutch when statistics prove them wrong.
  • angrymaninc
    Options
    Romo gets blamed too much...Get off his nuts and witness wtf my Boys gonna do this season...Romo is easily Top 7 QB EVERY season for the past 5 seasons...I dare you to argue against that and be right..
    coop9889 wrote: »
    The same ? that think Romo aint ? are usually the same type of ? ? that think Lebron aint ? .

To both of y'all i will agree that romo is one of the best qbs playing right now...

However none of y'all can tell me he's clutch and 4th quarter stats don't mean ? in this case... how many times have you seen romo step up when the game was on the line?
  • dallas' 4 eva
    Options

To both of y'all i will agree that romo is one of the best qbs playing right now...

However none of y'all can tell me he's clutch and 4th quarter stats don't mean ? in this case... how many times have you seen romo step up when the game was on the line?

I saw him twice last season against Arizona and against the Giants drive the ball WELL into field goal range with an easy kick to win the game. The first time they iced their own ? kicker, the second time the line failed to block JPP. Romo stepped up and the team failed him. Not saying it's always like that, but that's how the cookie crumbled those two times.
  • newOldSchool
    newOldSchool Members Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I've almost every game Romo has played and the problem is consistency. Consistency from game to game, consistency from quarter to quarter and consistency from half to half. It's just not there. 5 td's in one half 3 pics in the next half. His blunders are usually of epic proportion. He doesn't just fumble, he fumbles and then bats the ball backwards and the d-line picks it up and runs it in. Stuff like that. With Romo, his critics are right and his supports are right.
  • angrymaninc
    Options

I saw him twice last season against Arizona and against the Giants drive the ball WELL into field goal range with an easy kick to win the game. The first time they iced their own ? kicker, the second time the line failed to block JPP. Romo stepped up and the team failed him. Not saying it's always like that, but that's how the cookie crumbled those two times.

i don't remember who it was they played last year...
    But it was a similar situation and Romo drove the team down the field to take the game (nice ass drive too)
    But the last play of the drive Romo threw the ball (and i remember my reaction when the ball was in the air was "this ? here") and the ball was picked off in the end zone...
    And it wasn't a great defensive play it was just a ? awful throw by romo that's just one example that comes to mind among many others
  • BDBIID
    BDBIID Members Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ESPN sure loves them some Dallas Cowboys.