I am legitimately intrigued by French Montana...

Like Water
Like Water Members Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2012 in The Reason
I'm trying to figure out why and how ol boy has become the go to guy right now. I commend everybody for getting their paper, one way or the other, but what makes this dude a standout "rapper"? He doesn't have a memorable delivery, his lyrics are below mediocre, and his content is contrived and cliche as ? .

I know the suits and the masses enjoy their dumb ? , but seriously... WTF? Somebody please help me understand how dude has caught on. Maybe I'm missing something.

Comments

• Gen. Stasia
    Gen. Stasia Members Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same thing I wondered. I guess becuz the NY rap scene sucks so much that he ended up one of the few with a "name" and so that's why he got signed.

I remember I was listening to the radio and they were handing out them club paradise tickets and the DJ was announcing the people who were going to be there and the girl was so excited and then he mentioned French Montana's name and she calmed down quick lol.

I don't think the final verdict is out on French yet, I think he has potential if given the right team (all around team)

Not really. French Montana been around a long time... When all those DVD's was Poppin Smack, The Come Up, etc he comes from the DVD of ? City. People recognize him from that but his affliation with Max B made him Popular in NY. Max B had NY "Wavy" when he was out doing what he was doing and when he got all that time Frenchie was there to take his place. Nothing more nothing less. Also the Waka Flocka songs helped.
  • BackInWhite
    BackInWhite Members Posts: 23,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    he do got a memorable delivery tho
    ? sound like he ? when he rap
    i ? with every verse by him tho
    especially his 'actin up'
    "? . suck me. like a. trumpet. 20 thousand. all in. hunnids. talkin. MONEY. MONEY. MONEY. MONEY. MONEY. MONEY. OWWWWW!"
  • Billy_Poncho
    Billy_Poncho Members Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    French rode the South's wave to stardom just like Nicki and ASAP
  • Gen. Stasia
    ^^^ I'm very familiar with the come up of French Montana. Regardless of how u wanna cut it he is one of the few Urban Rappers from NY who had a buzz (uncle murda, papoose, saigon, french montana, and that's it really)

But when Uncle Murda and Papoose and all the other NY rappers was Buzzin French Montana wasnt a factor. At that point Max B wasnt even a factor. They became famous later down the road when all those ships sailed. Max became Big after Dipset broke up and he started dissing Jimmy.
  • Gen. Stasia
    But what does any of that matter in 2012?

Alot if Frenchie came out when they Saigons, Uncle Murdas, Papooses was Buzzin he would be a non factor. Like i said the only reason he has Buzz in NY is because of Max and why ppl listen to him is the same reason ppl listen to Waka, Gucci, Jeezy, etc.
  • BackInWhite
    edited May 2012
    you talkin bout max b like anyone outside of ny knows who he is
    french ain't on cuz of that
    he on cuz of choppa choppa down, waka flocka and rick ross
    max b wasn't even on cuz of max b
  • H-Rap 180
    H-Rap 180 Members Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread gets made every other week.

French got nice hooks, street bars and his own energy that he brings to the track, just knowing his backstory and his grind makes his energy that much more effective on the listener.

He ain't going to hit you over the head with complex metaphors and geek-speak but his poetry is slick enough to keep you entertained.

I wouldn't say he's riding the South wave he signed to Diddy instead of Rozay and the bulk of his production mis Dame grease and Harry fraud who are both from NY as well as all the Coke Boyz.

Im less hesitant to crticize street-oriented music in this era because the mainstream is sweeter than a Mango right now with metrosexual-crooning, and pop pandering.
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So wait, we're not talking about 2chains?
  • P. Town
    P. Town Members Posts: 27,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hard work and determination?
  • BackInWhite
    So wait, we're not talking about 2chains?

that ? is the wackest ? to get a pass since lil wayne had the audacity to call himself the best rapper alive and not get lynched for it
  • Gen. Stasia

I said the only reason he has buzz in NY is because of Max b. The only reason he buzzin else where is because of he had that Chopper song with Waka and now his ties with Ross and Diddy etc.

French Montana is big in NY prolly second to Meek and Ross. I'm just sayin where his support comes from out here I cant talk about Memphis can i?
  • BackInWhite

I said the only reason he has buzz in NY is because of Max b. The only reason he buzzin else where is because of he had that Chopper song with Waka and now his ties with Ross and Diddy etc.

French Montana is big in NY prolly second to Meek and Ross. I'm just sayin where his support comes from out here I cant talk about Memphis can i?

what yo feet lookin like tho
  • TdotGoHARD87
    TdotGoHARD87 Members Posts: 782 ✭✭
    i can only honestly listen to french montana if max b is on the song somewhere/how
  • satyrone
    satyrone Members Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    im more intrigued about t/s sig
  • Cabana_Da_Don
    Cabana_Da_Don Members Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ptowndonte wrote: »
    Hard work and determination?

Best answer.
  • P. Town
    P. Town Members Posts: 27,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2012
    Has anybody ever thought about how wack Max B actually was? Dude couldn't sing, rap, and all his music sounded bathroom recorded
  • Gen. Stasia
    ptowndonte wrote: »
    Has anybody ever thought about how wack Max b actually was?

Yea i never understand his hype. He did Bless Jimmy with some Hooks tho..

• Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don Trip>>>French and Max
  • Garv*
    Garv* Members Posts: 474 ✭✭✭
    Went to court for my liver the hit me with murder
  • moedays
    moedays Members Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man, that ? sucks to me.
  • young_belvi
    young_belvi Members Posts: 732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know what to think about French. Sometimes I hear some of his ? , and I just shake my head...But then some ? like his verse from the Warning remix (? was catchy) or that Everything's a go joint and I start checking for more joints from him.
  • SlickestR
    SlickestR Members Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    French is garbage... i respect his hustle and him catching on to get him where he needs to be... but that's as far as it goes for me..

some people tried to get me to listen to him, but i just couldn't do it.. he sounds sooo bad. ? , Even Uncle Murda is way better than this ? .

? yo... Maino is wayy better than this ? ... or even Saigon is better than this ? ..
  • Cabana_Da_Don
    Cabana_Da_Don Members Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think he´s a witty rapper.His old back in the days ? was nothing but crazy punchlines.He dumb down his ? though which is not good.
  • IceBergTaylor
    IceBergTaylor Members Posts: 19,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SlickestR wrote: »
    French is garbage... i respect his hustle and him catching on to get him where he needs to be... but that's as far as it goes for me..

some people tried to get me to listen to him, but i just couldn't do it.. he sounds sooo bad. ? , Even Uncle Murda is way better than this ? .

? yo... Maino is wayy better than this ? ... or even Saigon is better than this ? ..

? thats a given lol
  • Mr.LV
    Mr.LV Members Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Louis sneaks with no lace" -French Montana
    His rhyme scheme is very weird he actually does not rhyme a lot of his words in his lyrics has anybody else notice that.