50 Shades ....

Options
MsSouthern
MsSouthern Members, Moderators Posts: 21,791 Regulator
edited June 2012 in The Powder Room
Has anyone read this series

fifty-shades-of-grey-trilogy.jpg

I keep hearing hype about 50 Shades of Grey all over. There are 3 books total...

50 Shades of Grey

50 Shades Darker

50 Shades Freed

I'm going to start reading it this weekend.

Comments

• Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    they going bonkers over this ? on the news...

basically it's zane for the masses

erotica for the win...
  • MsSouthern
    MsSouthern Members, Moderators Posts: 21,791 Regulator
    Options
    lol

man that was some crazy ish he wrote
  • Britt_J
    Britt_J Members Posts: 604 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I just don't see the big deal...I mean erotica and the romance novels have been out forever..
  • MissK
    MissK Members Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It is alright, repetitive. Yes, she does repeat the 'inner godess' a lot. Very simplistic writing but the main character has grown on me. Not much more than a beach read.

Has been optioned for a movie so I do wonder about how they will handle some of the sex scenes.
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    edited June 2012
    Options
    i added it to my goodreads months ago not knowing wtf it was about til it blew up. i picked the first one up in target & started reading through it to see if it was something i'd be interested in.........i passed. in the couple pages i read through, the writing was ? terrible. on the shelf it stayed.

idk why people are so crazy about these. the zane books were better & have been out longer.
    ~SpecialK~ wrote: »
    It is alright, repetitive. Yes, she does repeat the 'inner godess' a lot. Very simplistic writing but the main character has grown on me. Not much more than a beach read.

Has been optioned for a movie so I do wonder about how they will handle some of the sex scenes.

i saw that too. they should opt for making a premium cable show out of it. a movie like that would be too hard to make & get distributed.
  • Bussy_Getta
    Bussy_Getta Members Posts: 37,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just started reading it

So far so good ^_^
  • HafBayked
    HafBayked Members Posts: 16,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i just saw my mama reading one of them the other day.....ima grab the other two for her......she was really into Danielle Steel for a long time....is it sumn like that or more ratchet?
  • major pain
    major pain Members Posts: 10,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    just finished the first book on a suggested read from a female friend..

its ok.. the sex aint really all that crazy... some ? thrown in

i was waiting for some action/danger that the author seems to keep alluding to.. not sure if i'll continue unless i know something besides a bunch of ? and spankings is going to keep happening
  • MissK
    MissK Members Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If you weren't impressed with the first book, you may want to stop. I am struggling with the second one- not reading a lot of danger and the sex is really no different.
  • -Vincenzo-
    -Vincenzo- Members Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    thirsty hoes seems to be a good market...
  • Bussy_Getta
    Options
    Kate is ? annoying and nosey wtf
  • major pain
    Options
    Kate is ? annoying and nosey wtf

lemme tie you up tho
  • Bussy_Getta
    Options
    Buy me some Louis Vuitton first
  • major pain
    Options
  • -Vincenzo-
    -Vincenzo- Members Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Kat is ? annoying and nosey wtf

shots fired...
  • John_Blazini
    John_Blazini Members Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    thought this was a Dro thread
  • The Prodigalson
    The Prodigalson Members, Writer Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • major pain
    Options
    thought this was a Dro thread

aint no shades of black..
  • Bussy_Getta
    Options
    This ? too damn worried bout other hoes :--/
  • King Erauno
    King Erauno Members Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    it appeals to the female audience because they like the descriptive nature of the sex scenes. We..as men need visuals of said sex scenes
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    watched the movie last night ? was flanes!
  • kittykat89
    kittykat89 Members Posts: 60 ✭✭
    Options
    Really enjoyed the first book and the movie ...my pervy side I guess lol
  • LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY
    LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY Members, Writer Posts: 17,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the movie doesnt match the books. its another hype thing imo
  • Iheart~Cali
    Iheart~Cali Members Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Currently wrapping up the second (Fifty Shades Darker). The writing is extremely elementary and unimaginative. I'm being totally serious when I say that the Twilight series was better written. Yes totally serious. I didn't bother watching the movie because I've heard nothing but bad things about it. It even looked unexceptional from the trailer. And that Crazy in Love remake gets on my nerves at any rate.

Christian as an independent character is rather interesting. I'm struggling with finishing the second installment, but he's the only reason I keep on keeping on. Past that it's more of the same. After the first 2-3 ? scenes, all further sex scenes are superfluous. They should be used to add more development to the characters or the plot for that matter; neither of which they do. I can see one, maybe two max, in the second book. However having sex scene after sex scene just tells me there's nothing more to the story. And there are some contrivances I don't agree with at all (namely the helicopter missing fiasco). At this point it just seems as if the writer was drumming up any and everything she could to meet her page quota.

Yes I'll stick with it because I've gone this far with it and why give up now. But I'm underwhelmed by it all. In my opinion, the first book had great potential. Tension should have been the focus. Less emphasis on ? and more emphasis on their relationship and Christian's unwillingness to commit to a "vanilla" relationship. This battle of wills between Christian and his demons and Anastasia's desire to have a real relationship could have and should have been the final act of the first book and nearly all of the second book. As it stands now, these characters played their cards too soon and there's really nothing to look forward to. I haven't read the final book, so I could be totally mistaken. But it's looking like I've already read the best this series has to offer.