A Question For Wrestling Fans

Peezy_Jenkins
Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2012 in Off The Turn Buckle
this was sparked by a debate

Stone Cold Steve Austin, he is known as a WWF/E superstar, but the seeds of his amazingly popular character were planted in ECW, after being a former title holder of various titles in WCW and various other promotions

Someone tells me he is an ECW guy, me personally i dont consider him one, when i think ecw guys i think RVD, Sandman, Dudley's etc.

but is SCSA an ecw guy, because his character began to form there?

Comments

• Chi-Town Bully
    Chi-Town Bully Members Posts: 29,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont consider him as an ECW guy, he was only there less than a year
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    my thoughts exactly
  • IceManKam
    IceManKam Members Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't really consider him to be one, although some of the ECW fans do (which was evident by his appearance at One Night Stand 2005)
    Technically he was, but he didn't really earn enough stripes for me
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    i feel u, i can see where people can say the ideas from his character came from his time there, but it didnt really take off until well into his WWF run, so being there for less than a year and being called an ecw guy, ion know
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    although he worked in ECW i always consider him WWF/E..

its the same as with Undertaker he worked in WCW before WWF but we dont consider taker wcw
  • Anti_matter
    Anti_matter Members Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭✭
    if that's the case then triple h could be considered a wcw guy
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Steve Austins character was borrowed from a ecw guy
  • Mally_G
    Mally_G Members Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Austin only wrestled 2 matches in ECW. He cut a lot of promos and vignettes, but had only 2 matches, both against Mickey Whipwreck for the title.

Austin came to the WWF as The Ring Master to start, then morphed into Stone Cold, only after he got the idea from watching one of those NBC Dateline stories about a killer named Ice Cold. All the beer drinking and cussin came from ECW Sandman.
  • s_a_m_r_i_o
    s_a_m_r_i_o Members Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He was injured so the majority of the time he did promos which allowed him to start to be himself which was the sart. WWE based Stone Cold Steve Austin off of Sandman.
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    I dont. He was a WCW guy more than he was an ECW guy even. Def made himself a name as a WWF guy epriod.
  • powerman 5000
    powerman 5000 Members Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't pidgin hole him like that. That would negate all his work in wcw and ecw. he was stunning steve before he was stone cold steve. He wore blond locs with pillman before any wwf promo. This is like saying flair is wwf guy because they put him on by putting him in the HOF or that vader is wwe because he had more memerable matches there. If anything, he's wcw. But wcw steve austin was a completely different steve austin than than ecw/wwe steve austin.
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    watch the scsa documentary on netflix..

? clears up everything
  • Mally_G
    Mally_G Members Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2012
    Austin in WCW was once the longest reigning and considered the one of the best, World TV Champions they ever had. If anything, that belt was held down magnificently by Austin and Arn Anderson.

I'm going to say he's WCW, but the WWF made him a household name.

If Eric Bischoff didn't ? him, Cactus Jack, and a few others over by holding their contracts, sending them to ECW (WCW had a working relationship with them at one time), and released them due to injury, WCW could have held some of the pieces that were ultimately used against them to win the war against the WWF.

I still remember him turning on "Gentleman" Chris Adams back in the old USWA. At that time, all he was good for was stomping his opponent. His very first match was against the Masked Punisher, who was actually, who we all know him as Undertaker.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    c/s considering him a wcw guy more so than ecw, cuz he held titles and everything there, he may not have been a superstar, but he was accomplished, i definitely dont consider him an ecw guy at all tho