Microsoft Unveils Microsoft Surface Tablet

Options
joshuaboy
joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2012 in IllTek
First array into tablets come in two flavors.

Today at Milk Studios in Los Angeles, Microsoft unveiled their first ever tablet, the Microsoft Surface Tablet.

Surface-hero.jpg

After first sending out cryptic invitations, predictions flooded from media and consumers alike – some favored Windows Phone 8, while other rumors included a potential Xbox Surface (with some questionably too-awesome specs), but the tablet was the most likely, and also what Microsoft unveiled.

The Microsoft Surface tablet comes in two options, Windows RT and Windows 8 Pro.

Windows RT is the lightweight option, both physically and spec-wise.

676g
9.33 mm thick
10.6" ClearType HD DIsplay
31.5 Wh battery
microSD, USB 2.0, Micro HD Video
Office Home & Student 2013 RT, Touch Cover, Type Cover
32 GB, 64 GB

Windows 8 Pro, is the obvious pro option, and is touted as a "full PC." It comes with a heftier weight (and likely pricetag):

903 g
13.5 mm thick
10.6" ClearType Full HD Display
42 Wh battery
microSDXC, USB 3.0, Mini DisplayPort Video,
Touch Cover, Type Cover, Pen with Palm Block
64 GB, 128 GB

Microsoft Surface comes with a sturdy, integrated kickstand and a SmartCover-esque cover, that features a fully functioning keyboard, with a trackpad. It connects with a "single magnetic click" that'll make it an ease to swap out (or just take off, if you'd rather).

"I can touch type on this as fast as I can type on any keyboard." said Microsoft's Michael Angiulo. Touch Cover comes in five colors - black, red, blue, and pink.

Surface also comes with two cameras, called "LifeCams." The rear-facing camera is angled so when positioned on a kickstand, it can still record meetings with ease.

Gaming

Because Surface is a full-on PC, it will run true PC games. Eric Neustadter, from Xbox Live Operations, tweeted colloquially that it could run Civ IV and V, unlike the iPad, and that it will be "the greatest Civilization-playing device known to mankind."

There was no mention of Xbox-integration or even Smart Glass for that matter (though the latter will definitely be included). Unfortunately, this means the wild Microsoft "Leak" posted earlier today was likely uber-fake.

Microsoft has stated the tablet-PC hybrids will be priced competitively, but no mention of price or release date was mentioned.

Comments

• focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I guess this is why they were holding out. ? looks nice! I'm in the market for a new PC. If this ? really is priced competitively (cheaper than a iPad), i'm coppin.
  • CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    2 thangs...
    1. A tablet will never be able to do what a computer can do
    2. Smart phones are = to tablets...one just has a bigger screen, and more storage,and more battery life...even exhange for not fitting in your pocket
  • rantanamo
    rantanamo Members Posts: 79 ✭✭
    Options
    x86 tablets can do what a computer can do. Hat's the Pro version they mention
    The RT version will be more comparable to what is on the market now, but will come with full version of office. Will likely get its own version of programs beyond what other ARM type tablets can do.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This will flop like the Zune and Windows phone.
  • focus
    Options
    MobTown wrote: »
    1. A tablet will never be able to do what a computer can do

LOL. WTF? At some point we'll probably have glasses that can do what a computer can do.

Trailer for Surface

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpzu3HM2CIo

• earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So, what aps will it have? W/o the Apple store or Droid play, its gonna be a while before they make a store for themselves that rivals it. Maybe an xbl type store.

Keyboard looks handy though id prefer it had a Windows Vista format.
  • KNiGHTS
    KNiGHTS Members Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ... No. Just no.
  • KINGOFDAARCADE
    KINGOFDAARCADE Members Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Apple has this on Lock. Sorry Microsoft. iTunes, App Store, etc.... and they will drop iPhone 5 the same day this comes out to steal all its thunder.
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol that actually would be funny as ?
  • KINGOFDAARCADE
    KINGOFDAARCADE Members Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How long until this ? gets a virus and crashes? Have fun. Windows stay losing.
  • unspoken_respect
    unspoken_respect Members Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think the most shocking part is that this is their first. The thing I can say I don't like about so far is the color of the smart cover which is petty. I'm not into tablets but this might change my mind.
  • focus
    Options
    The thing I can say I don't like about so far is the color of the smart cover which is petty.

It comes in a few colors

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PP6aTFgkNL4&feature=related
  • CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is them trying to pull a powermove with apple, since ipads have taken over computer sales have been down. More people will invest in an ipad tablet than lug a laptop around, especially business travelers. So pc and laptop prices have fallen, part are cheaper. so micorsoft needed to do something, this is the first step, windows 8 is the next
  • unspoken_respect
    unspoken_respect Members Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @focus I can work with the black.
  • focus
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Microsoft can't catch Apple? That's what they said about PlayStation...

By Patrick Goss for CVG UK

With all the talk of Apple and Google, it's all too easy to forget just how influential Microsoft is in the tech world; but as it proved to gamers with the Xbox, the US giant is perfectly capable of pulling something special out of the bag.

The Windows 8-supported Microsoft Surface tablet is massive news, not least because it shows that the company is prepared to risk upsetting its hardware partners by making its own kit.

In the gaming world this isn't as big a deal - Microsoft's Xbox has been a huge hit and the games console becoming one of its most successful offerings. But in the land of the PC (albeit the emerging world of tablets) this move represents a big change of direction.

CEO Steve Ballmer suggested that Microsoft wanted to make its own kit because its regular partners could not produce the kind of tablet it wanted to showcase Windows 8. Not something you would imagine the likes of Dell, HP and even Samsung will be especially pleased about.
    But I think it's an exciting turn of events. Microsoft has had its hardware misses of late - the Zune media player being an obvious example - but anyone who has played with Kinect or the original Microsoft Surface table or even an Xbox 360 will realise that this is a company that can take on the best and win.

When it decided to take on PlayStation nobody gave Microsoft a chance but, after the original showed promise, the 360 became a serious competitor.

For every Sony in the gaming world, there's an Apple in the tablet market. And frankly, this is an even bigger ask, not least because of the presence of a third competitor in Google's Android platform. Make no mistake, nobody is about to accuse Android of spiralling like Sega.

But somebody needs to offer up more serious competition to the iPad if Apple are to be kept in check and, although it is having to work hard to get any purchase in the phone market, Microsoft can lean on years of PC heritage in the tablet world.

Businesses trust Microsoft, and that may well make a huge difference when it comes to hitting the critical mass needed to make a successful tablet.
    And when you hit that tipping point in terms of sales then the consumer will not only take notice but will actively seek Windows tablets out, just as they have with PCs for years.

Infamous former Apple CEO John Sculley (the man who fell out with Steve Jobs) suggested that the tablet world only really had two players: the iPad and Samsung (running Android).

So having a valid option from Microsoft is guaranteed to provide an interesting counterpoint in the burgeoning world of tablets.

From a gaming perspective, a Windows 8 Microsoft Surface tab is also a good opportunity. Microsoft is well aware that it has lost good grace with PC gamers over the last decade, but the next-gen operating system was always going to bring a new focus - with the Xbox branding front and centre.

That means potential investment in the PC as a gaming platform once more not just in casual games but also more ? offerings, although you may have to wait a while for the Core i5 Microsoft Surface until you see a Windows 8 tab that actually appeals to gamers.

In the meantime, we can be sure that, success or failure Microsoft Surface will be a game changer, forcing Apple and Google to ramp up their own tablet offerings and, whisper it, perhaps even offering some true competition for the iPad.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/354326/surface-tablet-microsoft-cant-catch-apple-thats-what-they-said-about-playstation/?attr=CVG-General-RSS&cid=OTC-RSS
  • VulcanRaven
    Options
    Cant compare ga ming to tablets when there are only 3 consoles which makes it easier to compete.Then Live is what sold the 360 and not the product itself.Also ms still has never had the highest selling console or sol anywhere near the top success of its competitors and the ps still has a biggef global market than the xbox.So really the xbox has only succeeded short term.
  • focus
    Options
    Mad Jack wrote: »
    Cant compare ga ming to tablets when there are only 3 consoles which makes it easier to compete.Then Live is what sold the 360 and not the product itself.Also ms still has never had the highest selling console or sol anywhere near the top success of its competitors and the ps still has a biggef global market than the xbox.So really the xbox has only succeeded short term.

M$ sold more this consoles this gen than the last.
    Nintendo sold more consoles this gen than the last.
    Sony sold LESS consoles this gen than the last.

Case closed.
  • Michael_Malice
    Michael_Malice Members Posts: 17,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Microsoft Surface freezes up during Live Demo
    Poor Steven Sinofsky. The president of Microsoft’s Windows division was one of the main presenters at Monday’s unveiling of the Microsoft Surface tablet in Los Angeles, and every tech presenter’s nightmare had to happen to him live on stage.

http://mashable.com/2012/06/20/microsoft-surface-fail/
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2012
    Options
    ? looks kinda tight. I'm not into tablets, but that one looks like something I'd consider. Probably still to expensive to be worth it.

That Nexus 7 on the other hand might be another story. It's supposed be only $150. That's not bad. I might get one for my wife since she's been wanting a tablet.
  • Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    haven't even touched my ipad in weeks. can't imagine why i'd need one of these. or the ipad for that matter.
  • VulcanRaven
    Options
    focus wrote: »
    Mad Jack wrote: »

M$ sold more this consoles this gen than the last.
    Nintendo sold more consoles this gen than the last.
    Sony sold LESS consoles this gen than the last.

Case closed.
    Well the xbox and gamecube both sold less than 30mil while the PS2 is still selling and over 150mil.Of course it is easier for ms and nintendo to outsell their last console compared to sony.ms still has not dominated in sales compared to sony and nintendo who both have sold more handelds than the 360 so yes the case is closed.
  • irad4185
    irad4185 Members Posts: 105 ✭✭
    Options
    I don't understand the success of these tablets. The only major advantage is a larger screen which would be great for a workplace but not so much for everyday use.