Adidas Cancels Their ‘Shackle Shoe’.. But When Will We Stop Being Slaves to Expensive Kicks?

Options
waterproof
waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2012 in The Social Lounge
adidas%20shackles.jpg

To tell the truth this fuckery right here...u know what i really wouldn't give a ? if they went ahead and released it because it's been 400 years some of us are still blind, deaf and dumb. Because we will buy anything from the very same people that exploit or community and some of us dont have that self worth. I mean if some want to watch chitlin shows and that type of ? then go ahead, i aint go time for yall ? . Im going to spend time on the brothers and sisters that's building to uplift the community. TO THE IGNORANT BROTHERS AND SISTERS yall deserve to get feed PIGS FEET, and homeboys outter space tv shows and all that other fuckery, go put white paint around your mouths and go strum a banjo.

Adidas Cancels Their ‘Shackle Shoe’.. But When Will We Stop Being Slaves to Expensive Kicks?

A lot of folks were upset with the proposed ‘shackle’ sneaker designed by Jeremy Scott (JS Roundhouse) ..It was understandable, because the shackles look like a throwback to slavery or modern-day prison bindings..The sneakers were set to be released in August and retail for $350.00. Because folks were so outraged, Adidas decided to cancel the release of those shoes..I’m not mad at that decision. Even though the designer claimed he was trying to be ‘quirky‘ and off beat, there’s nothing quirky or eccentric about slavery or prison..

With that being said, I gotta be honest and note the irony of folks being upset about this visible symbol of slavery but not too upset about it when its invisible. What do I mean?

Well over the years we’ve seen countless deaths over these and other expensive sneakers.. The outcry over these shackle shoes was the symbol and not the $350 price tag.. We have countless people hopelessly hooked on spending their last dollar on these and other shoes including the recently released kicks sporting rap superstar Kanye West‘s name.. Nike Air Yeezy II. They’re going for $285 a pair.. This wouldn’t be so bad except such über expensive items are marketed to poor people, many who’ve become mentally enslaved to the idea that they must own a pair at all costs. The end result as I mentioned earlier is more than a few deaths. If folks aren’t slaying and robbing each other, then we’re running around with our chest out and basing a lot of our inner self-worth on these shoes..We’ve become enslaved to blinging in the middle of a recession.

Kanye West has $285 dollar sneakers called Air Yeezys
Of course the shoe companies like to step back and take no blame.. They like to kick it back to the parents, churches and schools and hide behind the concept of ‘free market‘ and ‘supply and demand‘. No one wants to talk about the mindset of kids that feel so compelled to own a pair of certain types of sneakers that they’ll ? or risk death over them.. No one wants to talk about the deep desire to own these shoes even if they are made in sweat shops with slave labor. They must own a pair at all costs.. That’s pretty powerful.

No one wants to talk about the millions they spend in marketing research which results in them honing sophisticated strategies designed to get inside the heads and psychologically hook particular demographics of people, most of them young. many of them poor. No one wants to talk about how these expensive shoes folks are overly attached to are made for pennies on the dollar. It was this fear of sophisticated marketing and the concern of folks deemed vulnerable and easily influenced that we don’t have cigarette and certain types of alcohol ads on TV..

Yes, I’m glad Adidas got rid of this silly line of sneakers.. We have enough symbols of prison and slavery we don’t need to spend an extra $350 for more conditioning.. I’ll be even more happy when I can wake up and not see folks who can’t identify their mayor or congressperson or the political winds and policy adversely impacting them, who will spend the night in front of the local shoe store to get their hands on the latest $300 kicks that have been deliberately marketed so there are limited amounts.

Food for Thought..

written by Davey D

Comments

• Trockm
    Trockm Members Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They look chills w/o the shackles, but if any fool wears those (with the shackles) than your black card should be revoked
  • Trockm
    Trockm Members Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Plus Germany puts out ADIDAS so this isn't surprising racist ?
  • UPTOWN
    UPTOWN Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 13,009 Regulator
    Options
    welp i will never purchase anything addidas under any circumstance
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There has to be a way to cop some a pair
  • bull6599
    bull6599 Members Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2012
    Options
    LOL @ $350 for some Adidas
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    bull6599 wrote: »

LOL @ $350 for any sneaker
  • backpackingrapper
    backpackingrapper Members Posts: 181
    Options
    Whats crazy is that hip hop made adidas what it is today so the blacks actually made this company and then they put shackles. huh?
  • moedays
    moedays Members Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

that prolly cost $25 to make, if that.

• unspoken_respect
    unspoken_respect Members Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2012
    Options
    LOL Bad enough they look like they stole some designs from Retros. A bad idea all around.
  • unspoken_respect
    unspoken_respect Members Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There has to be a way to cop some a pair

Wheres your sig from?
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I wonder that myself. I saw a story about a lady down south who left her kids in a hot car to buy so Jordans, and I was absolutely appalled...but the worse part is...I knew she was black from the description of the story and when I saw her handcuffed on the news sure enough she was black.

I do agree with poster that touches on the irony that it was hip-hop (RUN DMC especially) that made Adidas cool in the black community and then about 30 years lader they decide to put shackles on our feet...but instead of the figurative fashion in the way Nike & Jordan does, they decided to do it literally.

My people are so brainwashed sometime its nauseating. This concept that we need to have gaudy things to look nice is destroying everything our parents and grandparents used to hold dear.

I can just imagine how people giggle when they see a shoe they made for about $30 in some Cambodian sweatbox, go for $300 in a some Foot Locker in Detroit, Chicago, Atlanta etc. They try to hide behind the cliche "supply & demand" but they create the supply & the demand. That's a gem nobody really appreciates. Marketing creates demand for an item that's already been made (supplied). There is no public outcry for expensive shoes but the public have no problem partaking in expensive shoes already made.

Its truly a shame what we have become but I hold out hope that things can change.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 6,385 ✭✭
    Options

Quoted for emphasis!
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Trockm wrote: »
    They look chills w/o the shackles, but if any fool wears those (with the shackles) than your black card should be revoked

LOL cosign
  • JJ 1975
    JJ 1975 Members Posts: 336
    Options
    Is this for real!!? Lmao! Dope without the shackles.
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm having a REALLY hard time believing this isn't a joke lol
  • twentyfivelighters
    twentyfivelighters Members Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    To me, it's all about how the clothes look on YOU. I am particularly fond of Jordan 3s and the Concords... but I don't keep a closet full of expensive shoes like that. I also dig the Ralph Lauren polos because they have lasted me a looooong time. Not to sound conceited, but I bet I can pull off a 6$ shirt from Old Navy better than some geek who spent most of his paycheck on something brand name. Do you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxwQ-Smgt0Y

Came to mind. Heh.
  • Well Got Dam
    Well Got Dam Members Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? i buy kicks at the outlet malls never any over $70, never bought a pair of jordans and ? adidas
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2012
    Options
    There was no ill intention behind this design at all. The following was created by the same designer that created the shackle shoe.
    501481857?$hero_small$
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i can honestly see these ? down here (the south) rockin some gorilla shoe with slave chains
  • heyslick
    heyslick Members Posts: 1,179
    Options
    i can honestly see these ? down here (the south) rockin some gorilla shoe with slave chains

So psychological slavery lives on for another generation of mindless ? .

• manofmorehouse
    manofmorehouse Members Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There seems to have always been a correlation with African Americans post slavery and expensive clothing or attire. You had the zoot suits in the 20's and 30's, you had the ? suits and cadilacs, spinners, and of course, jordans. I think the "need" to be the freshest kid on the block with the j's or the new benz or whatever is a defense mechanism people use to offset the feelings of being largely invisible to a world where we have always been treated as ? step children. What sucks is you see people lined up around the block in hopes of purchasing shoes they can't really afford yet these same folks wont stand in line to improve their conditions. Its crazy
  • heyslick
    Options
    There seems to have always been a correlation with African Americans post slavery and expensive clothing or attire. You had the zoot suits in the 20's and 30's, you had the ? suits and cadilacs, spinners, and of course, jordans. I think the "need" to be the freshest kid on the block with the j's or the new benz or whatever is a defense mechanism people use to offset the feelings of being largely invisible to a world where we have always been treated as ? step children. What sucks is you see people lined up around the block in hopes of purchasing shoes they can't really afford yet these same folks wont stand in line to improve their conditions. Its crazy

& you so eloquently stated what I couldn't say? maybe it was just my candor? or maybe I'm just feed-up with victim card being played constantly. It just never ever seems to end - it's like an opened-ended contract.

• rage
    rage Members Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    waterproof wrote:
    adidas%20shackles.jpg

Of course the shoe companies like to step back and take no blame.. They like to kick it back to the parents, churches and schools and hide behind the concept of ‘free market‘ and ‘supply and demand‘. No one wants to talk about the mindset of kids that feel so compelled to own a pair of certain types of sneakers that they’ll ? or risk death over them.. No one wants to talk about the deep desire to own these shoes even if they are made in sweat shops with slave labor. They must own a pair at all costs.. That’s pretty powerful.

I agree that the shackle shoes were ignorant garbage....but spare me this horseshit right here. IT IS NOT ANY COMPANIES PREROGATIVE OR CONCERN as to the motives of its clients purchasing their products. Its absolutely the parents fault if kids are spending $400 they dont have on shoes or shooting another ? for their shoes. How or why is it the companies responsibility if you and yours cant act and think right.
  • heyslick
    Options
    rage wrote: »
    waterproof wrote:
    adidas%20shackles.jpg

I agree that the shackle shoes were ignorant garbage....but spare me this horseshit right here. IT IS NOT ANY COMPANIES PREROGATIVE OR CONCERN as to the motives of its clients purchasing their products. Its absolutely the parents fault if kids are spending $400 they dont have on shoes or shooting another ? for their shoes. How or why is it the companies responsibility if you and yours cant act and think right.

Y is it societies responsibility to accept these pretentious claims about why certain groups act the way they do? Y do people allow this/mindset to continue on and on and on for every single generation & future generations will be crying the same old tune as all of there predecessors & blaming others for the way they act & parents not doing there jobs.

• jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Parents have nothing to do with adults. Adults are the ones buying expensive shoes for their children, other irresponsible adults are standing in line for hours over shoes. A parent eventually has to let you be yourself, besides a lot of parents come from a generation where they had their thing. Like homie said it was zoot suits, then gators, now jordans. Parents can't really do ? but attempt to plant a message of anti-materialism into their child as a child but if it doesn't work it didn't work. Can't blame parents for that.