Judge Dredd

Dr.Chemix
Dr.Chemix Members Posts: 11,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2012 in Lights, Camera, Action!
Looks pretty decent. The setting shown in the trailer reminds me of that Tower movie. That foreign flick where cops infiltrate that building. It might be decent. I'm guessing they are going to keep Judge Dredd's helmet on in effort to not upset the fans like the last film.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PifvRiHVSCY

Comments

• Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hmmm. dunno. looks interesting. but i'll see
  • satyrone
    satyrone Members Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i dunno, i think ill watch it when it hits TNT or something.
  • Dr.Chemix
    edited June 2012
    lol ? said TNT...

The best scenes will probably be when they infiltrate the HQ and the drug induced scenes...since the drug slows down time, that will probably have some nice visuals..

But I'm not checking for this with hypeness like I was for Prometheus (I knew that ? was nice before even watching it) but it just might be one of those that might surprise me...I need to check who's directing this flick and such...
  • loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The original was suspect to me
  • Dr.Chemix
    edited June 2012
    loch121 wrote: »
    The original was suspect to me

The original was terrible...but according to wiki and what they're saying, they are staying true to the comics. Mainly, Judge Dredd will keep his mask on. To some that don't account for much but that means they are sticking to the comic a little bit. Christopher Nolan changed the game. It's evident in the new Spider Man. Darker tones for comic book heroes are now being explored and viewed as an viable, lucrative option for comic book film adaptions.

The following was taken from the wikipedia page:

In May 2010, Reliance BIG Entertainment announced they would finance the film (with a budget of $45million), which will be shot in 3-D, with Pete Travis hired to direct.[5] Script writer Garland along with Andrew MacDonald and Allon ? were also confirmed as producers for the film[5] with filming to begin in the fourth quarter of 2010 in Johannesburg, South Africa.[5] John Wagner also spoke positively on the film's script stating:

Alex Garland's script is faithful to the original concept that made Judge Dredd a favourite bad-ass hero. It's a high-octane slay [sic] ride through the dark underbelly of the vast future city. A fan pleaser.[5]

In July, IM Global (production partners on the film) stated that the film's official title would be Dredd instead of Judge Dredd.[8] Karl Urban was cast as Dredd the same month.[15] IM Global also revealed a few plot details:

Dredd takes us to the wild streets of Mega City One, the lone oasis of quasi-civilization on Cursed Earth. Judge Dredd (Karl Urban) is the most feared of elite Street Judges, with the power to enforce the law, sentence offenders and execute them on the spot – if necessary.[6][8]

In September, it was announced that pre-production had officially commenced on 23 August at Cape Town Film Studios in Cape Town, South Africa[6] and Variety revealed that actress Olivia Thirlby would play the part of Judge Anderson.[16]

Urban stated that the script is "faithful to the world Wagner created, yet completely fresh in its execution" and "darker in tone."[17]

Urban explained it is a "setup film ... It's about the day in the life of Dredd as he puts his rookie, Anderson, through the paces to see if she is worthy or not of becoming a Judge."[18] It wouldn't be based on any specific comic book plot but would be a "amalgamation of stories" and that, unlike the 1995 film version, Dredd, like the comics,[4] would keep his helmet on, never showing his face.[19] As Urban later explained: "He is supposed to be the faceless representative of the law and I think that is part of his enigma ... You wouldn't get to the end of a Sergio Leone Western and go, '? , I didn't even know the character's name!' It's irrelevant."[20]

Urban went through a lot of physical preparation in order to become a "beast of a man" true to the comic, and worked to give the fight scenes a sense of reality.[18]

Ahead of release, the the film achieved advance sales of 20 million dollars.[21]

On 2 November, Lionsgate announced that they picked up U.S. distribution rights for Dredd.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dredd
  • BlackxChild
    BlackxChild Members Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dredd sounds like a cornball.
  • Dr.Chemix
  • eyes low
    eyes low Members Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks decent and they have some good actors in it. And this movie was in development before the raid came out
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it looks decent
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • rage
    rage Members Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This looks wack....like straight to DVD level wack. Bunch of no names, making a bad Robocop rip off?? Take away the slow motion from the trailer and what exactly do you have?
  • Dr.Chemix
    A story about a dystopian where justice is given swiftly with fight scenes and shootouts. Just like every other action sci fi movie. So you watch romantic comedies then. Just ? wit you but breathe ? . Or get some ? -it's not that serious

• rage
    Dr.Chemix wrote: »
    A story about a dystopian where justice is given swiftly with fight scenes and shootouts. Just like every other action sci fi movie. So you watch romantic comedies then. Just ? wit you but breathe ? . Or get some ? -it's not that serious

So this is on the same level of quality as Prometheus? Children of Men? Blade Runner? V for Vendetta? T2? You can't be ? serious!
  • Dr.Chemix
    Rage...you're trying to rage...for no reason at all. And you all over the place. Now the movies you mentioned are not within the "every other action sci fi movie" category. We both know this. Why you even mentioned those titles in the first place. So what is all the hot air for man?
    breathe ? . Or get some ? -it's not that serious

word...
  • rage
    Rage...you're trying to rage...for no reason at all. And you all over the place. Now the movies you mentioned are not within the "every other action sci fi movie" category. We both know this. Why you even mentioned those titles in the first place. So what is all the hot air for man?
    breathe ? . Or get some ? -it's not that serious

word...

It's to prove a point, why would I watch a sci fi movie that isn't up to that level? Why would I spend money on something less than top quality action/sci fi? It's lames like you that give garbage like this a pass...which in turn allows studios to put out ? like "Death Race, Real Steel, Abraham Lincoln vs Vampires, etc". Have some standards.
  • s_a_m_r_i_o
    s_a_m_r_i_o Members Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "I'am the law"!

I liked the one with Sly in it but I won't be checking for this one because it doesn't look interesting. His helmet looks too big for his head.
  • texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ? looks so wack if you go see this then you think SyFy movies are Oscar worthy
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey I thought Real Steel was good.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    why are they remaking moives that were wack to begin with. add this to the list with total recall
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lamontbdc wrote: »
    why are they remaking moives that were wack to begin with. add this to the list with total recall

Wait ...you are not saying that Total Recall is wack?
  • Dr.Chemix
    edited June 2012
    I love the old Total Recall. Thought it was real good. Blew my mind for a film of its time. I don't know about the Colin Farrel remake but it might be alright. And don't buy the Total Recall blu ray...I don't know what the ? I was thinking.

I'm not expecting this film to be 5 star epicness nor am I saying this ? could rival Prometheus. Cornball Rage missed that point. But this ? might surprise us...I'm not dissing this film before I see it. Nor am I not going to see it because its not a epic film or a proposed epic film.

Any true Sci Fi fan has guilty pleasures when it comes to sci fi flicks. Serenity was corny. The stargate serious was corny at times. The old Star Trek films were corny as ? . But I still enjoyed the film being that I am a fan of the genre. I'm willing to give it a try. Spending about 20 to go check this flick? Naw I don't think so...but checking out a matinee or seeing this when it gets to the dollar film might just be worth it.

? I've spent 5 dollars on worst.

Seriously, arguing over this film is ? kindergarten ? ...its not that serious at all. But good look on those who said it was wack without going ape ? over it. Appreciate the maturity on that for real

• lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mad Jack wrote: »
    lamontbdc wrote: »

Wait ...you are not saying that Total Recall is wack?

that ? was extremely wack Before kindergarten cop it was easily arnold's wackest movie. that's why folks only talk about the chic with 3 ? b/c it was the best part of the movie