THE OFFICIAL 2012 SUMMER OLYMPICS THREAD

Options

Comments

• Figo
    Figo Members Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    football world cup 2014 will be the biggest of the 2 event. the world best sport at the record world cup winner back yard, plus endless women to drill while samba music playing..
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Figo wrote: »
    football world cup 2014 will be the biggest of the 2 event. the world best sport at the record world cup winner back yard, plus endless women to drill while samba music playing..

I don't think so. I think the Olympics will be bigger. Soccer is the world's most poplular sport, but there are still a ton of countries that don't give a ? about it, at least not to the degree as the rest of the world. Damn near every country in the world pays attention to the Olympics. Not to mention that Olympic teams are much bigger than soccer teams, so the draw of people supporting their loved ones alone will be much higher in that case.
  • Figo
    edited August 2012
    Options

I don't think so. I think the Olympics will be bigger. Soccer is the world's most poplular sport, but there are still a ton of countries that don't give a ? about it, at least not to the degree as the rest of the world. Damn near every country in the world pays attention to the Olympics. Not to mention that Olympic teams are much bigger than soccer teams, so the draw of people supporting their loved ones alone will be much higher in that case.

Football world cup is the biggest sporting event in the globe bruh. Olympics a far 2nd. i don't no what world u live in but football is the mecca of all sport in every country globally. middle east, the continent of africa, south america, asia, oceanic continent, an growing in north america.
  • d.green
    d.green Members Posts: 12,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    World cup over the olympics???
    Really?

I know football (soccer) is the world most popular sport by far but as a whole i do not think it is bigger than the olympics. JMO
  • ATTS
    ATTS Members Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Olympics is bigger tban world cup
  • Figo
    Options
    ATTS wrote: »

world cup is the biggest sporting event globally. followed by the Olympics. not because y'all American don't follow football doesn't mean its not the biggest. numero uno.
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

world cup is the biggest sporting event globally. followed by the Olympics. not because y'all American don't follow football doesn't mean its not the biggest. numero uno.

3.6 million people is the record attendance for a World cup.

The London Olympics football(soccer) matches had 2.1 million just for that event. So think about the track, swimming, diving, basketball, gymnastics, wrestling, etc. The Olympics will always be a bigger event than the World Cup. Dont even know how it compares.

Opening and Closing Ceremonies
    Archery
    Athletics
    Badminton
    Basketball
    Beach Volleyball
    Boxing
    Canoe Slalom
    Canoe Sprint
    Cycling - BMX
    Cycling - Mountain Bike
    Cycling - Road
    Cycling - Track
    Diving
    Equestrian
    Fencing
    Football
    Gymnastics - Artistic
    Gymnastics - Rhythmic
    Handball
    Hockey
    Judo
    Modern Pentathlon
    Rowing
    Sailing
    Shooting
    Swimming
    Synchronised Swimming
    Table Tennis
    Taekwondo
    Tennis
    Trampoline
    Triathlon
    Volleyball
    Water Polo
    Weightlifting
    Wrestling
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

How about you actually know what you're talking about before you post.

For one, the largest World Cup attendance ever happened where? You got it, in the US in 1994 with 3.59 million people. Two years later, the US hosted the Olympics. Guess what the attendance for that was: 8.3 million people.

The recent 2010 World Cup in South Africa had the third highest attendance ever with 3.18 million people. The 2008 Beijing Olympics hosted 6.8 million people.

Both these numbers and I want you to shut the ? up.

http://usa10kit.com/2010/07/13/making-sense-of-the-2010-world-cup-attendance-figures/
    http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/records-1/greatest-attendance-at-olympic-games/
  • TheBossman
    TheBossman Members Posts: 19,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    don't forget they putting golf in the 2016 Olympics.
  • northside7
    northside7 Members Posts: 25,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lol Y'all talking bout most people attending. Brazil winning the world cup in brazil would be a massive party for days. I could just imagine the celebrations after each win smh....crazy.
  • The Lonious Monk
    edited August 2012
    Options
    lol @ that guy Nosigning me because I proved him wrong.

northside7 wrote: »
    lol Y'all talking bout most people attending. Brazil winning the world cup in brazil would be a massive party for days. I could just imagine the celebrations after each win smh....crazy.

I guess you haven't heard what the Olympics are like. Even if Brazil doesn't win anything in the games, it will still be a massive party for days. That said, Brazil will probably definitely win volleyball which is real popular and will likely win soccer too which while not nearly as big as the World Cup, will still spark celebration.
  • northside7
    Options

I guess you haven't heard what the Olympics are like. Even if Brazil doesn't win anything in the games, it will still be a massive party for days. That said, Brazil will probably definitely win volleyball which is real popular and will likely win soccer too which while not nearly as big as the World Cup, will still spark celebration.

The point is this. Both events are going to be bangin..
  • Figo
    edited August 2012
    Options

I agree to and extent in what you're saying. multiple tournaments with different nationalities do bring in high ratings. football(world cup) take the lead in this convo because the global fan base is the biggest of all sports.
  • Chef_Taylor
    Chef_Taylor Members Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Stop calling that ? football,it's soccer....i only know of one football and all you soccer fans talking down about a helmet how bout you put one on and let me knock the ? out of you...then we'll see how you'd really like "football".
  • 313 wayz
    313 wayz Members Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    TheBossman wrote: »
    don't forget they putting golf in the 2016 Olympics.

Word? Tiger is gonna be on the prowl in the Olympic Village like this.......

tiger-woods.jpg

• ATTS
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRy-DtS1evg

this chick could have finished this race.....smh...behaving like a teen after falling
  • caddo man
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRy-DtS1evg

this chick could have finished this race.....smh...behaving like a teen after falling

Yeah she could have and should have. Hell she might have still gotten some praise for it instead of crying like a 3 y.o.
  • caddo man
    Options
    Watch some recaps last night. The US women and the ? Islands men as a whole showed up showed out. the Jamaican Women did there thing but the US women........Came back strong.

The US men choked away any resemblance of its past self. The capping of the t&f was the 4x400 mens race. They have alot of work ahead of them for the year.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Did anyone see the BMX races? They basically have 5 races for each quarterfinal set. I wondered why there were so many, then I saw the races. People were getting taken out left and right on that track. There was one where a guy jumped out to the lead early. Someone tried to catch him and lost control. He fell and took out every other person on the track. The guy in the lead was the only one to finish the race. lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ld8UjMEIpcc

That ? looked like Burnout on bikes.
  • ATTS
    Options
    Did anyone see the BMX races? They basically have 5 races for each quarterfinal set. I wondered why there were so many, then I saw the races. People were getting taken out left and right on that track. There was one where a guy jumped out to the lead early. Someone tried to catch him and lost control. He fell and took out every other person on the track. The guy in the lead was the only one to finish the race. lol

i was able to catch a couple of the races.....? was insane (I never get to watch bmx on TV but this was fun)
  • northside7
    Options
    Stop calling that ? football,it's soccer....i only know of one football and all you soccer fans talking down about a helmet how bout you put one on and let me knock the ? out of you...then we'll see how you'd really like "football".

Football and football. And I will continue doing that.
  • northside7
    Options

Only caught a couple of heats. ? was grease. I'm a BMX ? , so I really like this event.
  • ATTS
    Options
    who is the mod of this ? ? time to lock this summer thread and let it go down.......smh....yall are slow
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    who is the mod of this ? ? time to lock this summer thread and let it go down.......smh....yall are slow

Does the Olympic Thread being stickied still offend your or something? lol