Options

Comments

• CoolJoe
    CoolJoe Members Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    by hall of famer i mean someone who is in the hall of fame or who is a guarenteed lock to be a hall of famer.

by average, i mean a player who has had a relatively long career and who has put up decent stats. possibly an all star/pro bowler from time to time.
  • CoolJoe
    CoolJoe Members Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2012
    Options
    First off the sport definitely matters. You can't be a HOF-er in solo sports like tennis, bowling, golf etc. with no championships. It doesn't work that way.

And secondly define average, and define hall of famer.

In context, average to me is someone like Ray Allen. He's not great, but at the same time he's not a ? . In comparison, a HOF-er to me is someone like Allen Iverson or Malone. Great in every sense of the word, but no ring.

Because of my personality, I would rather be a Ray Allen type player with rings over an Iverson, Barkley, Malone type with no rings. Winning is that important. Plus it's pretty pathetic that some of these guys can play for 14 years and not get a single ring. It's like, "really, you can't win once out of 14 years?!?."

That's why I applaud Lebron for opening up the next generation's eyes. If you want to win a ring, don't wait till you're garbage and jump from team to team. Do it while you still have some juice left.

P.S. If your average is someone like a Robert Horry, then it's a wack thread, because damn near everyone is going to choose be a Charles Barkley over wackass Horry.

Average is a dude that has played in 10 all-star games? That's average to you?
  • BlackAX410
    BlackAX410 Members Posts: 35,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    rofl @ Ray Allen being average did u watch him play on the Sonics nd Bucks or did u start watchin him when he was a 3rd option on da Celtics?
  • GettinLo
    GettinLo Members Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Glad I'm not the only person that thinks Ray Allen is a way above average player...

His career stats are skewed because of being the 3 or 4th option in BOS... dude averaged nearly 27PPG in his final season in Seattle and sacrificed scoring when he went to BOS... He's definitely a 1st ballot HOF'er.

An average 2 guard would be Eddie Jones, Allan Houston, Michael Redd, etc
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2012
    Options
    CoolJoe wrote: »

In context, yes. Ray Allen has never been a top 10 player in the league. ? , he's never even been top 15. In his prime he was probably a top 20 player in the league at best, and let's be honest dude was always a step below his peers.

The only time he flourished was when he was on the ? ass Bucks or Supersonics. When he went to the Celtics aka a contender, he quickly got moved to that 3rd position.

In brief, Ray Allen won't really be remembered past his generation. In 30 years, he'll be one of those guys who people say was a good shooter. Not a good player, a good shooter and that's it.
    rofl @ Ray Allen being average did u watch him play on the Sonics nd Bucks or did u start watchin him when he was a 3rd option on da Celtics?

Exactly. He was the 3rd option on a contending/championship team. Any half decent player can play on a ? squad and get off, but it takes a great player to LEAD his team to a championship (or at least the Finals).
  • Matt-
    Options
    ray allen is a star. one of the best to have ever played.

top 100 in steals, assists, free throws, points scored.

consistant 20pt scorer probably until he came to boston.

i'd take his career in a minute over chuck, nash, or ewing

• NothingButTheTruth
    edited June 2012
    Options
    aone415 wrote: »
    Glad I'm not the only person that thinks Ray Allen is a way above average player...

His career stats are skewed because of being the 3 or 4th option in BOS... dude averaged nearly 27PPG in his final season in Seattle and sacrificed scoring when he went to BOS... He's definitely a 1st ballot HOF'er.

Word, so Ray Allen was better than...

Kobe, Pierce, Iverson, Vince Carter, Jason Kidd, T-Mac etc?

How are you way above average if you're not even a top 5 wing player in YOUR prime? We're talking his position, we're not even talking the league.

And SMH @ you mentioning the 06-07 season. By that time Wade, Lebron, Melo, Chris Paul, Deron Williams, and Nash had also been moved ahead of him. As well as some other comparable players I'm forgetting.

Like I said earlier, dude was never a top anything in his career (besides a shooter), so how can he be way above average or one of the best to have ever played?
  • Matt-
    Options
    for the sake of the thread, average would be guys who maybe got to a few allstar games/pro bowls. and who had careers that lasted about 10+ seasons. A Stephen Jackson or a Jerry Stackhouse type player maybe.
  • NothingButTheTruth
    Options
    matt- wrote: »
    for the sake of the thread, average would be guys who maybe got to a few allstar games/pro bowls. and who had careers that lasted about 10+ seasons. A Stephen Jackson or a Jerry Stackhouse type player maybe.

Lol in that case....

v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v
    HOF, easily.

• bigrizz
    bigrizz Members Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    Options
    You could win a ring without doing anything but be on the team, HOF is FOREVER..and makes you money in the future...Dexter Pittman got a ring and aint touched the court....
  • Co_Town_Michael
    Co_Town_Michael Members Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You can't sell a HOF career for any profit.
    Gotta go with the ring.
  • Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    whats the point of winnin that ring if the goal is just to sell it?
  • SupremeXXV
    SupremeXXV Members Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

How are you way above average if you're not even a top 5 wing player in YOUR prime? We're talking his position, we're not even talking the league.

And SMH @ you mentioning the 06-07 season. By that time Wade, Lebron, Melo, Chris Paul, Deron Williams, and Nash had also been moved ahead of him. As well as some other comparable players I'm forgetting.

Like I said earlier, dude was never a top anything in his career (besides a shooter), so how can he be way above average or one of the best to have ever played?

I don't know about VC...Outside of jumping ability, I might take Ray Allen over him.

• Trockm
    Trockm Members Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    HOF fo sho, championship ring doesn't mean you really earned it (Eddie Curry). I'd rather be recognized as a great career than 1 ring.
  • BlackAX410
    BlackAX410 Members Posts: 35,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Consistency wit an overall career Im takin Ray Allen ova Vince nd T-Mac @NothingButTheTruth
  • bigrizz
    Options
    Dude said the greatest three point shooter in the history of the game wont be remembered.....wow
  • Matt-
    Options
    smh I shoulda known how a thread like this would turn out right after basketball got done.
  • bigrizz
    Options

I think you are missing the fact he played for the Bucks and the Sonics.....he never got real help until boston...then deferred to other players...Hes one of the best shooters in history, not just of this generation....even reggie miller gives dude his props...
  • CockMcStuffins
    CockMcStuffins Members Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You can't sell a HOF career for any profit.
    Gotta go with the ring.
    You can sell a hof career

Appearances and signing ? at sports memorabilia conventions until u die>>>>>>>>>selling a ring ONE time
  • Already Home_17
    Already Home_17 Members Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

In context, yes. Ray Allen has never been a top 10 player in the league. ? , he's never even been top 15. In his prime he was probably a top 20 player in the league at best, and let's be honest dude was always a step below his peers.

The only time he flourished was when he was on the ? ass Bucks or Supersonics. When he went to the Celtics aka a contender, he quickly got moved to that 3rd position.

In brief, Ray Allen won't really be remembered past his generation. In 30 years, he'll be one of those guys who people say was a good shooter. Not a good player, a good shooter and that's it.

you talking like the celtics were on the rise before allen got there. they had a 24-58 record the season before. allen was one of the reasons boston became a contender. they dont win a championship without him. third option or not he was just as important to that team as pierce and KG
  • Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    matt- wrote: »
    smh I shoulda known how a thread like this would turn out right after basketball got done.

right.

• NothingButTheTruth
    edited June 2012
    Options
    SupremeXXV wrote: »

I don't know about VC...Outside of jumping ability, I might take Ray Allen over him.

In their primes, Vince was a much better player. His hops made him near impossible to guard.
    Consistency wit an overall career Im takin Ray Allen ova Vince nd T-Mac @NothingButTheTruth

I wasn't talking careers. I was just pointing out the fact that when Ray Allen was at his best he was still worse than his peers at the time.

you talking like the celtics were on the rise before allen got there. they had a 24-58 record the season before. allen was one of the reasons boston became a contender. they dont win a championship without him. third option or not he was just as important to that team as pierce and KG

Stop it. He wasn't definitely not as important as Pierce or KG. Pierce was the closer, and he guarded the best wing player. KG was the defense and intensity.

Basically, Ray Allen was in the same position as Bosh is on the Miami Heat. He's important, but definitely not as important as the first 2.
    bigrizz wrote: »
    Dude said the greatest three point shooter in the history of the game wont be remembered.....wow

False. I said he'd be remembered as a good shooter, rather than a good player.
  • ocelot
    ocelot Members Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Didn't Chuck say he wanted the ring?
  • Tommy bilfiger
    Tommy bilfiger Members Posts: 22,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol @ ray allen bein average.Son is a troll,why entertain the kid

This the same kid who said magic johnson aka "Aids" was overrated and larry bird wasnt top 30