Obamacare upheld by Supreme Court, Bush's Chief Justice casts decisive vote, ahahahahahaha

Options
2»

Comments

• Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I find this whole ordeal so hilarious and entertaining

apparently so does tyt...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcumf-XSe3E
  • OhPee
    OhPee Members Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Can someone briefly explain this obamacare to a dumb hood ? like myself?

so if you are working and have no health insurance....you are now FORCED to buy some? Like you're now required to have some sort of health insurance? Sort of like how you have to have car insurance?
  • gza82
    gza82 Members Posts: 79 ✭✭
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Obamacare force individuals to buy health insurance(just like car insurance), even if they can't afford it. If a person refuses to buy the health care they are subject to trail. Insurance companies are required to give that person coverage, even if they have preconditions that make them a risk...here is the problem. Let's say you have a person that is a smoker and a drinker who doesn't take care of their body. Through Obamacare, the insurance company is responsible to take care of them around the same price they would charge a person that is completely healthy. Overtime this will cost the said insurance company more money than they can afford which will cause one of two problems. Either they will have to get a bail out from the government, or the government would just have to take over that company.

Now what if every Insurance company ran into the same problem? Sure some would just raise prices, but eventually if every company would run into the problem of overhaul trying to keep everyone insured. Which would more than likely end up having the government take over health care completely. Because I doubt they will bail out too many companies that go bankrupt.........in actuality they shouldn't bail out any company. The point is with Obamacare it appears that this system could run every, if not all insurance companies out of business due to over haul.

Now if the government were to take over health care, wouldn't they want to look out for their own best interest. Which means in the long run they would regulate foods: Trans fat, sugar, and any other unhealthy foods. What I am saying can be considered hyperbole, but when have you ever known the government to not take something to the extreme?

Now if I am wrong then someone please correct me, but this is how I understand Obamacare working in the long run
  • gza82
    Options
    If you don't have insurance at all you will be required by law to purchase it by 2014 or pay a fine. You can purchase your health insurance from anywhere, but if you don't you'll be forced to pay either $750 dollars, or 2% of your income, whichever is greater.

I would like to have nationalized healthcare just like anyone else. But I'm sorry I just don't trust the US Government to do it right. Name the last thing this Government touched and it worked out for the American people. "No Child Left Behind", The War on Terror, The Drug War....NASA was suppose to put people on Mars by this time, now it hardly exist.
  • Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ^^^ hm, all that sounds true and possible, but if we had the right people in the government or voted the right ones in, then couldn't it work out just like it does in Canada?

Good drop, I don't completely understand Obamacare either so that helped. I don't completely favor the gov't forcing people to buy healthcare and that's also probably why conservatives aren't in facor of obamacare even though it's somewhat conservative itself. I think that we need to educate Americans on just exactly why healthcare is a good and neccessary thing so that we're not stupidly divided about the issue.
  • gza82
    Options
    Plutarch wrote: »
    ^^^ hm, all that sounds true and possible, but if we had the right people in the government or voted the right ones in, then couldn't it work out just like it does in Canada?

The "right" people in government are few and far between. And let's say Obama is the "right" person to be President now, what's going to happen when he is no longer eligible to run again? Which why signing the NDAA was a horrible ideal, and so was resigning the PATRIOT ACT...but that's another issue. Also Canada's healthcare is great....as you are not elderly. But with every good there is a bad.
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Obamacare, as some call it, basically does force people to buy insurance, but there are some HUGE pluses to this overall good law, and I'm not even an Obama fan......

-expands Medicare and Medicaid
    -creates subsidies for those who would struggle to afford health insurance
    -expands coverage of healthcare for those under their parents' plan until age 26

I believe most of this law will be implemented in 2014. The HUGE negative to this law though will be millions of people now getting covered, but with there already being a nursing and doctor shortage in this country, healthcare will be slowed down for many. Otherwise, this is a good law. And still much better than any alternative to what Republicans have proposed, which is basically "if you get sick and you don't have insurance, die quickly"
  • bornnraisedcmr
    bornnraisedcmr Members Posts: 1
    Options
    damn, my dawg swiff still postin' in SL wuz up boi
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    Obamacare, as some call it, basically does force people to buy insurance, but there are some HUGE pluses to this overall good law, and I'm not even an Obama fan......

-expands Medicare and Medicaid
    -creates subsidies for those who would struggle to afford health insurance
    -expands coverage of healthcare for those under their parents' plan until age 26
    of course, if it's not funded there's a definite downside to these pluses