rage Members Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    let me break it down 4 u toddlers

Main Character : Black
    +
    Setting: Takes Place In Wikanda, Ie; All Black City/Town/Nation w/e
    =
    Black Movie

any body remembered, Act Like A Lady Think Like A Man being banned in France??
    anybody remembered, white people's reaction, when they had Lenny Kravitz, and that lil girl in the Hunger Games?

any body remember when Micheal Jai White did Spawn?
    Although the film was based on the comic book series, some details were changed for the theatrical version of Spawn. Terry Fitzgerald, Al Simmons' best friend in his former life, a black man in the comic, was played by D. B. Sweeney, a white man, in the film. McFarlane has explained that this was done by the studio to avoid having too many black leads and creating a perception the film was aimed at just a black target audience

i rest my case.
    Black Panther probably got pulled, due to the studio's many attempts in diversifying the movie. which would of ? with the quality in making Black Panther a good movie. so the directors said ? it.

Again explain to me why the ? would they do this? Who the ? is going to spend $200+ Million on a movie that the majority of the populace isnt going to relate to?? And just because there will be white characters and the whole entire movie not being set in Wakanada doesnt equate to ? quality.

1) There is no way the entire movie could be set in Wakanada because it needs to tie into the MMU. This is the same reason Thor wasnt entirely set in Asgard.

2) White characters have always been a part of the BP story.

• CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Spawn sucked...

Also believe it or not, most of black panther fans are white..
  • apollo greed
    apollo greed Members Posts: 135 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I swear if I could just become a billionaire I would buy a studio and put out "Black Panther", "Reboot of Spawn", and another "Blade" Movie. Im tired of these studios bypassing making these movies. If the movie is done right like TDK then it will make money and not bomb.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mally_G wrote: »
    lion_heart wrote: »
    it's a Hollywood thing.

BP is about a black man in the lead and a super hero. in Hollywood, that equals a box office bomb.

see Red Tails

Red Tails bombed at the box office?

Movie took a loss
    Box Office
    Budget:
    $58,000,000 (estimated)
    Opening Weekend:
    $18,782,154 (USA) (22 January 2012) (2512 Screens)
    Gross:
    $49,875,589 (USA) (3 June 2012)

DVD sales and rentals will help, but just barely.

Spielberg knew white folks weren't going to see it and he said it during his interviews leading up to the premiere of the film. He basically said Hollywood and America is racially biased toward and won't support an all black cast, a film with a little known black lead actor, or anything dealing with black issues. He stuck his neck out and put his Hollywood reputation on the line to do this film. And everything he said about white Hollywood and America is true. Yet, a movie about computer animated blue people from another galaxy is the top grossing film of all time.

I understand what you're saying, but at the same time let's not disregard difference in genre. I'd watch Avengers over Red Tails because it's a more entertaining movie. That's what people go to the movies for. They aren't trying to make a political statement. They just want to have a good time.

The racial message was just a sidenote in the movie. It was brought up that ? pilots weren't good enough to fly bomber missions, which they proved otherwise, but the main thing about the movie was the actions scenes for the aerial dog fights, the military strategy about how missions are assigned, and the love story for one of the pilots. this movie wasn't political or trying to get a point across at all. It didn't scream at you like a Spike Lee Joint.

My point was that a movie about people flying planes in WWII wouldn't have made as much money as the Avengers even if the cast was made up of people so white they looked like living snowmen. The subject matter just isn't as appealing to the general public.
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mally G wasn't it George Lucas and not Spielberg speaking out about the movie
  • Mally_G
    Mally_G Members Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2012
    Options
    lamontbdc wrote: »
    Mally G wasn't it George Lucas and not Spielberg speaking out about the movie

My bad, I knew it was one of those ET type dudes

same difference

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/10/george-lucas-hollywood-di_n_1197227.html
  • Bawse D.Lox
    Bawse D.Lox Members Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2012
    Options
    rage wrote: »
    Again explain to me why the ? would they do this? Who the ? is going to spend $200+ Million on a movie that the majority of the populace isnt going to relate to??

1st off what do u mean by majority of the populace can't relate ?

don't the minority of the populace, constantly go to movies that they can't relate to???
    but still enjoy, because it was a good movie???

150+ movies come out a year, and the majority of the populace, can't sit thru one movie that they can't relate too???

is Harry Potter relate-able?
    how many movie goers, go to a school of witchcraft and wizardry?
    is SpiderMan relate-able?
    how many folks out here, are climbing walls and slinging webs?

majority of the characters Johnny Depp plays, are non relate-able wacky figures. yet it don't stop ppl from going to see his flicks.
    unless your really discussing race, as being the non relate-able factor?

then explain to me why an average of 80 million viewers watched the Roots miniseries?
    90 mins each episode,7 episode in total.
    the all all time ranking for each episode is 82,32,27,35,21,18,50, & 3.
    35 years later, all episodes still rank in the top 100, of all time watched tv programs.

why is Roots relate-able? but Black Panther not??

is it because Roots showed the good old days??
    when ? were ? ??? and washed y'all drawls?? and cooked ya'll meals??? and address you as ? , as you ? our "ugly" women??

and Wikanda although fictional. shows BLACKS, in an advance state without a drop of white influence???

1) There is no way the entire movie could be set in Wakanada because it needs to tie into the MMU. This is the same reason Thor wasnt entirely set in Asgard.

Wikanda to Black Panther is what New York City is to Spiderman, and what Gotham is to Batman
    adding, that this is Black Panther's introduction. i'll place a safe bet , that the majority of the filming will be based in Wikanda.
    2) White characters have always been a part of the BP story.
    no one said they're is'nt gonna be any white characters.
    i said the studio is gonna insert them in parts that they weren't in, in the comic book. which will ? with the overall movie. like they did with Avatar the Last Air ? and countless other movies.
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Again explain to me why the ? would they do this? Who the ? is going to spend $200+ Million on a movie that the majority of the populace isnt going to relate to??

don't the minority of the populace, constantly go to movies that they can't relate to???

150+ movies come out a year, and the majority of the populace, can't sit thru one movie that they can't relate too???

majority of the characters Johnny Depp plays, are non relate-able wacky figures. yet it don't stop ppl from going to see his flicks.

They are all still white.
  • rage
    Options
    focus wrote: »

Exactly....

The vast majority of the movie going public is white....thats the reality. Being the majority of a minority doesnt mean your going to get the same amount of support as something that will appeal to the masses.

You make it seem like there is some sort of requirement that the majority support the minority with their wallets. They are under no obligation to do so. You mentioned Roots....it was free....it was damn near 50 years ago...there werent NEARLY the amount of media mediums then to choose from as there is now.

All of the characters you mentioned were all white...people go to movies to connect and escape. They need to connect with the character or the environment, culture...something. The Johnny Depp comparison is just idiotic.

You ASSUME that Marvel will inject white characters....again if anything Marvel has gone the complete opposite way Nick Fury and Heimdall. Now are you going to tell me that Avengers and Thor were ? up because Heimdall and Nick Fury were made black??

Again BP is going to be part of the MMU...neither Spiderman nor Batman are part of these universes so its pointless to bring them up. Wakanda is to BP what Asgard is to Thor. In order for him to be brought into the MMU part of the movie will HAVE to be set in the States....you know LIKE IN HIS ORIGIN!
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2012
    Options
    only time guardians of the galaxy was entertaining they crossed over with the avengers
    no one wants to see a australian racoon with a gun and a tree with down syndrome
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Just announced yesterday at Comic Con

Comic-Con: Marvel Presents Guardians
    by Jim Vejvoda
    July 14, 2012

Marvel made some huge announcements Saturday at San Diego Comic-Con about their "Phase Two" of self-produced movies. Confirming recent reports, Marvel announced that their other big 2014 release besides Cap 2 will be Guardians of the Galaxy.

Marvel Studios boss Kevin Feige confirmed that the current lineup of the Guardians will be in the movie: Star Lord, Gamora, Drax the Destroyer, Groot and, yes, Rocket Raccoon! Don't believe us? Then look at the official concept art the studio has released for the movie.

guardians-ofthe-galaxy-concept-art-SDCC-610x265.jpg

0.jpg

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/07/15/comic-con-marvel-presents-thor-2-cap-2-guardians-and-ant-man

• evoljeanyes
    evoljeanyes Members Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Guardians of the galaxy are useless to the cause for the avengers. They should have used warlock and quasar them dudes
  • rage
    edited July 2012
    Options
    I honestly think Marvel is ? up LARGE with this Guardians movie Star Lord, Gamora, Drax the Destroyer, Groot and, Rocket Raccoon....these are SOME NO NAME ASS ? ! You have to be a comic and Marvel NERD to know and give a ? about these guys. Even casual comic book fans wont give a ? about this.....Rocket Raccoon, Groot??? SMH
  • evoljeanyes
    evoljeanyes Members Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Warlock, victory, and drax (ain't dead and thanks fam or something) can't he smell thanks from hell far sometimes? Raccoon is a dope character could be weird on film though.

Lets see where they go with this
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rocket Racoon is that ?
  • CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is just a random movie they are doing and has nothing to do with the 2nd round of hero releases...carry on
  • iron man1
    iron man1 Members Posts: 29,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So they jus said ? black panther huh
  • clairvoyance
    clairvoyance Members Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It was only a matter of time before the avengers went downhill....all these others heroes they
    I honestly think Marvel is ? up LARGE with this Guardians movie Star Lord, Gamora, Drax the Destroyer, Groot and, Rocket Raccoon....these are SOME NO NAME ASS ? ! You have to be a comic and Marvel NERD to know and give a ? about these guys. Even casual comic book fans wont give a ? about this.....Rocket Raccoon, Groot??? SMH

lolol....c/s lol...too funny...this post got me in tears....

• texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    what the ? is guardians of the galaxy and why does marvel think folks would want to see this?

they wasting money out here
  • infamous114
    infamous114 Members, Moderators Posts: 52,202 Regulator
    Options
    Yea...I have no interest in that Guardians of the Galaxy movie
  • Bawse D.Lox
    Bawse D.Lox Members Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2012
    Options

Exactly....

The vast majority of the movie going public is white....thats the reality. Being the majority of a minority doesnt mean your going to get the same amount of support as something that will appeal to the masses.

You make it seem like there is some sort of requirement that the majority support the minority with their wallets. They are under no obligation to do so. You mentioned Roots....it was free....it was damn near 50 years ago...there werent NEARLY the amount of media mediums then to choose from as there is now.

All of the characters you mentioned were all white...people go to movies to connect and escape. They need to connect with the character or the environment, culture...something. The Johnny Depp comparison is just idiotic.

You ASSUME that Marvel will inject white characters....again if anything Marvel has gone the complete opposite way Nick Fury and Heimdall. Now are you going to tell me that Avengers and Thor were ? up because Heimdall and Nick Fury were made black??

Again BP is going to be part of the MMU...neither Spiderman nor Batman are part of these universes so its pointless to bring them up. Wakanda is to BP what Asgard is to Thor. In order for him to be brought into the MMU part of the movie will HAVE to be set in the States....you know LIKE IN HIS ORIGIN!

This is America not Europe, Whites are only 33-35% of the population, minorities make up 60 something %.
    Yet year in and year out, the 60 something %, support movies that only represents the 33%.
    Yet the 33% can't support 1 movie that don't represent them??????

And Thor was ? Juice, and that's what happens when the studio messes with the story-line, of a story that is well established. and that leads to my initial post in this thread
    i'm glad it ain't coming out. If it most likely would of came out, they would of wacked that ? up by having his best friend a white guy, or have his love interest white. and change alot of things,to where it won't seem like a "Black Movie"
    ^i said marvel would ? BLack Panther's story line up, to meet holly wood's status quo, of the portrayal of blacks.

Roots is 35 years old, not even 40 yet, idk how u get to 50 years. free or not, ppl still watched. how many free t.v programming suffers from low ratings? exactly.

and fourth , let's back peddle to ppl's reactions. when the Black Panther rumors came out. ppl where excited and comment sections through out the internet, where filled with anticipation and wonders.
    wonders based on, who's the right character to play Black Panther, majority of the comments were made by whites who were fans. So i doubt they would have a problem with the movie if depicted as in the comics.

riddle me this, who you think would potentially make more money Black Panther or Guardian Of The Galaxy????

• jay83
    jay83 Members Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lol @ hollywood making Channing tatum the black panther.

I think the movie will come out but not anytime soon.

• rage
    Options

Exactly....

This is America not Europe, Whites are only 33-35% of the population, minorities make up 60 something %.
    Yet year in and year out, the 60 something %, support movies that only represents the 33%.
    Yet the 33% can't support 1 movie that don't represent them??????

No...they wont...thats the facts, thats the reality. You can't MAKE people like something. And its not just Black movies, there aren't any minority movies that experience the level of success white movies do.

And Thor was ? Juice, and that's what happens when the studio messes with the story-line, of a story that is well established. and that leads to my initial post in this thread
    i'm glad it ain't coming out. If it most likely would of came out, they would of wacked that ? up by having his best friend a white guy, or have his love interest white. and change alot of things,to where it won't seem like a "Black Movie"
    ^i said marvel would ? BLack Panther's story line up, to meet holly wood's status quo, of the portrayal of blacks.

Thor was not ? juice...and even if it is...thats your opinion. Secondly your critique of the movie has 0 to do with the fact that Edris and Sam were in it as normally white characters. Them being black had zero impact on the story, which is your main issue with the movie. Secondly this ? about White love interest and white best friend is horse ? .Where do you get that they would make these changes? Blade's love interest was black, Spawn's love interest was black, Blade and Spawn's best friends were white...because thats the way it was written in the original comics. Your just making ? up at this point.
    Roots is 35 years old, not even 40 yet, idk how u get to 50 years. free or not, ppl still watched. how many free t.v programming suffers from low ratings? exactly.

So your telling me that 35 years ago people had the same access to the same amount of media they have now?? GTFOH with this...its idiotic.
    and fourth , let's back peddle to ppl's reactions. when the Black Panther rumors came out. ppl where excited and comment sections through out the internet, where filled with anticipation and wonders.
    wonders based on, who's the right character to play Black Panther, majority of the comments were made by whites who were fans. So i doubt they would have a problem with the movie if depicted as in the comics.

riddle me this, who you think would potentially make more money Black Panther or Guardian Of The Galaxy????

I've been on record in this VERY thread saying that the GOTG movie is dog ? and pointless. I have been on record in this very thread saying that BP will still be made. BP is FAR FAR and away the more popular character, and they will still make more money with BP than GOTG ( which I still don't believe will actually be made). The reason that BP is such a popular character amongst whites is because his story is accessible to everybody. He was created by a white author...Marvel doesnt need to make his love interest white or his best friend white...the story is accessible without all of that.
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    soooooo that trashed black panther for a gun toting raccoon? smh
  • rage
    Options
    darkone360 wrote: »
    soooooo that trashed black panther for a gun toting raccoon? smh

I havent read anything that says its been trashed or cancelled.

This GOTG movie should be scrapped ASAP...if they want to diversify their audience do a Ms. Marvel movie. Perfect tie into the Avengers.