Marvel 2014: Black Panther Scrapped For Guardians of the Galaxy Movie

13»

Comments

• focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think yall being a little hard on GotG. This will be Marvel's first truly cosmic movie. They will have to go all out. Just the scope alone. Unlike with Thor or The Avengers, there is really no reason for the GotG to be on Earth. And I know i'm in the minority, but I like the team's roster.

If anything, scrap Ant-Man. He's a dope character and all, but Black Panther >>> Ant-Man
  • CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First of all marvel president has gone on record saying they will release a second set of movies for heroes to tie in like the current avengers so i dont see that changing and this article doesnt say it was cancelled.

Second marvel studios is a studio. To think they wont experiment with there lesser known characters like gotg and howard the duck you arent thinking in the mind frame of a studio head.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why are people acting like since the GotG aren't well known that nobody will want to see it. Ironman wasn't exactly a household name, and now it's pretty much the premiere Marvel movie franchise. I don't know how GotG will turn out, but if they market it right and the move looks good, people will go see it just off of that and the fact that it's a Marvel movie. On top of that, it's confirmed that Thanos will have a presence in the movie. People who saw Avengers and want to know who the purple guy at the end was will want to see this movie to find out.

Honestly, this movie could be a bust. However, it's been a while since there has been a really good space based action thriller. If Marvel pulls this off, it could be a hit.
  • evoljeanyes
    evoljeanyes Members Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guardians could be dope but how will they tie in to the avengers? Drax did some ? with shield
  • The Lonious Monk
    Guardians could be dope but how will they tie in to the avengers? Drax did some ? with shield

Thanos has been established as a future threat for the Avengers and he's confirmed to appear in GotG. It should be pretty easy to make a connection there.

• apollo greed
    apollo greed Members Posts: 135 ✭✭✭
    Why are people acting like since the GotG aren't well known that nobody will want to see it. Ironman wasn't exactly a household name, and now it's pretty much the premiere Marvel movie franchise. I don't know how GotG will turn out, but if they market it right and the move looks good, people will go see it just off of that and the fact that it's a Marvel movie. On top of that, it's confirmed that Thanos will have a presence in the movie. People who saw Avengers and want to know who the purple guy at the end was will want to see this movie to find out.

Honestly, this movie could be a bust. However, it's been a while since there has been a really good space based action thriller. If Marvel pulls this off, it could be a hit.

What?!? Are you serious? Iron Man has been known for years. I'm not gonna front I didn't think it was gonna be as a movie as it turned out to be but its way more know to fans then GotG.

• evoljeanyes
    Yeah family, I'm talking about how will they all play on screen?
  • The Lonious Monk

What?!? Are you serious? Iron Man has been known for years. I'm not gonna front I didn't think it was gonna be as a movie as it turned out to be but its way more know to fans then GotG.

We're not talking about known to comic book fans. We're talking about known to the average movie goer. Yeah, you can make the argument that Ironman was more known even to them than GotG and you'd be right. That said, Ironman was not a household name. The majority of people who have supported that franchise were not really familiar with the character before the movie. So the idea that GotG can't work because no one knows them is stupid. No one knew the cast of Star Wars before it was made, and look what it's become. GotG already has a leg up on that because its going to be marketed as part of an extended movie universe that is hot right now.

• Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

We're not talking about known to comic book fans. We're talking about known to the average movie goer. Yeah, you can make the argument that Ironman was more known even to them than GotG and you'd be right. That said, Ironman was not a household name. The majority of people who have supported that franchise were not really familiar with the character before the movie. So the idea that GotG can't work because no one knows them is stupid. No one knew the cast of Star Wars before it was made, and look what it's become. GotG already has a leg up on that because its going to be marketed as part of an extended movie universe that is hot right now.

yea I said that in the other thread, Iron Man was one of Marvels B tier heroes before his movie came out

All his villains are oddball ass ?
  • Bawse D.Lox
    Bawse D.Lox Members Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2012

yea I said that in the other thread, Iron Man was one of Marvels B tier heroes before his movie came out

Stopped reading after that*
    cause you obviously don't have a clue, on what your're talking about.
    How iron man wasn't a household name???
    When Iron Man had his own animated series .

@Bcotton
    how can iron man be a B-tier hero if he carried his own animated series
    before the movies. carrying your own Saturday morning animated series, was as big as big could get.
  • major pain
    major pain Members Posts: 10,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bcotton
    before the movies. carrying your own Saturday morning animated series, was as big as big could get.

^^this

plus the original trailer pretty much set this up to be a blockbuster franchise

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_KN6Y4nI8w

• evoljeanyes
    Anyone know if warlock shows up in this guardians movie? Also will there be a doctor strange movie?
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Real talk tho, white people do love some Black Panther
  • The Lonious Monk

@Bcotton

Silver Surfer had his own series too, and most of the people that saw that movie had no idea who he was. You're a ? if you're actually arguing this point. Marvel Studios themselves have already admitted that the movie greatly expanded the character's stock. Ironman was not Superman, Batman, Spiderman, or even the Hulk prior to the first movie, so acting like he was a household name when the average movie goer is not a comic fan is just stupid.
  • evoljeanyes
    Iron man still ain't superman bat man Spiderman or hulk! Ironman was household. He was every bit as popular as Cap, wolverine, wonder woman, and tanformers though. Cartoons were all these characters had besides comics before this movie run
  • The Lonious Monk
    Iron man still ain't superman bat man Spiderman or hulk! Ironman was household. He was every bit as popular as Cap, wolverine, wonder woman, and tanformers though. Cartoons were all these characters had besides comics before this movie run

Did you just say that Ironman was as well known as transformers? You guys are really delusional.
  • unspoken_respect
    unspoken_respect Members Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At least they dropped the BP movie for some epic Disney money ? . He'll show up sooner or later.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    People like seeing themselves on screen... those are the breaks to being a minority.
  • rage
    rage Members Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In terms of popularity....Iron Man has always been a popular superhero amongst the unwashed masses. He wasnt on the level of Batman, Superman, Spiderman, X-Men or Hulk. But he was just as well known as Cap.
  • nicky the don
    nicky the don Members Posts: 502 ✭✭✭
    Lately, I've been reading alot of Marvels cosmic stuff, and I gotta admit, it's pretty damn good. I'm more excited than I was to see GOTG. Star Lord is dope. Hell, I wonder how long before a Nova corp movie.
  • Sour-Cream
    Sour-Cream Members Posts: 6,474 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2012
    If they gonna make a bp movie have a good black director like antoine fuqua and some good writers like the nolan or wachowski brothers behind him cause if some ? ass director like that ? that did boys in the hood does it and uses Tyrese, I will personally come to his house and beat the ? out of his 5'2 ass.
  • Sour-Cream
    Sour-Cream Members Posts: 6,474 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also tie in storm and use Naomi Harris not Halle Berry.