did lincoln own slaves?

earth two superman
earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2012 in The Social Lounge
My research tells me no. nor did his family. says He had blacks working for him, but slaves? no.

anyone care to dispute? trying to settle a bet.

Comments

• janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    it's the internet, so if you give it enough time, SOMEONE will dispute it
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2012
    If Lincoln owned slaves, there would've been no Civil War. The whole reason The South got all ? and seceded is because they saw Lincoln as an Anti-Slavery radical and he got elected POTUS.
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lincoln didn't own slaves man...how could he have?...Slavery was illegal in the North from 1783 or so
  • loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    he was still somewhat of a racist tho, and thought blacks were inferior. civil war wasnt about the right/wrongs of slavery it was out of pure spite
  • earth two superman
    but everyone thought they were inferior. it wasnt just him.
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    Whites thought blacks were inferior because, in societal terms, they were...There is no way you can buy a slave, have him/her work for you, whip them, ? them...do whatever you want to them...and think they are equal to you
  • The Prodigalson
    The Prodigalson Members, Writer Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I read that he did have slave but he didn't treat them as such. He pretty much bought them to let them be free. One of his great friends were black.
  • janklow
    he was still somewhat of a racist tho, and thought blacks were inferior.
    welcome to the 1860s
    civil war wasnt about the right/wrongs of slavery it was out of pure spite
    "pure spite" seems less accurate than "preserving the damn Union" from the North and "preserving our damn slavery" from the South
  • Ol Jay's
    Ol Jay's Members Posts: 8,286 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2012
    dumb negroes have to much faith in white people, especially of the past

Lincoln had slaves, and he actually wanted to make it legal to have slaves while allowing them to be free (not be property), but that wasn't going to work so they were freed
  • CeLLaR-DooR

Lincoln had slaves, and he actually wanted to make it legal to have slaves while allowing them to be free (not be property), but that wasn't going to work so they were freed

Explain this oxymoron...
  • Ol Jay's
    edited July 2012

Explain this oxymoron...
    ....legal to have slaves while allowing them to be free (not be property), but that wasn't going to work so they were freed
    "Do you fools
    read post or
    Do you just skim
    Through it?"
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2012
    here's a article with an audio interview on Lincolns views on slavery. Looks like he was anti slavery for a long time before he was President. A one point, he advocated sending us to Liberia.
    http://www.npr.org/2010/10/11/130489804/lincolns-evolving-thoughts-on-slavery-and-freedom

Here's a list of US presidents that owned slaves. Andrew Johnson, the successor of Lincoln owned slaves.
    http://home.nas.com/lopresti/ps.htm

• CeLLaR-DooR
    Yes..I read your post fully...How did you know he wanted to own 'free slaves' is he knew it wasn't goin' to work?...what's the basis of your thinkin'?...and why the ? you trollin' me?
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    FuriousOne wrote: »
    here's a article with an audio interview on Lincolns views on slavery. Looks like he was anti slavery for a long time before he was President. A one point, he advocated sending us to Liberia.
    http://www.npr.org/2010/10/11/130489804/lincolns-evolving-thoughts-on-slavery-and-freedom

Here's a list of US presidents that owned slaves. Andrew Johnson, the successor of Lincoln owned slaves.
    http://home.nas.com/lopresti/ps.htm

Slept on post..

did you just quote your own post of 20 minutes ago as slept on?...come on bruh...there's gotta be at least 5 posts after yours before it can be considered slept on
  • Ol Jay's
    Yes..I read your post fully...How did you know he wanted to own 'free slaves' is he knew it wasn't goin' to work?...what's the basis of your thinkin'?...and why the ? you trollin' me?
    ? aint yo from overseas, ?
    tumblr_m3kaj27Uva1rqfhi2o1_400.gif

• CeLLaR-DooR
    ? aint yo from overseas, ?
    tumblr_m3kaj27Uva1rqfhi2o1_400.gif

Yeah..I'm a British Caribbean...? has that gotta do with your ridiculous post?...Americans the only folk that kno' history?...we don't all have access to the same Wikipedia pages?

• janklow
    Lincoln had slaves, and he actually wanted to make it legal to have slaves while allowing them to be free (not be property), but that wasn't going to work so they were freed[/b]
    told you guys it wouldn't take the internet long to post something stupid
    Slept on post..
    let's just not do this
  • Ol Jay's
    edited July 2012
    janklow wrote: »
    Lincoln had slaves, and he actually wanted to make it legal to have slaves while allowing them to be free (not be property), but that wasn't going to work so they were freed[/b]
    told you guys it wouldn't take the internet long to post something stupid
    ? , his goal, not mine, may sound stupid but that's what he wanted to do
    “I have always thought that all men should be free; but if any should be slaves it should be first those who desire it for themselves, and secondly those who desire it for others. Whenever I hear any one arguing for slavery I feel a strong impulse to see it tried on him personally.” ( Lincoln, 1953, v8, p360-1)

• redhandedbandit
    redhandedbandit Members Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭
    I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races; I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people

I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I, as much as any other man, am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race

abrham lincoln
  • earth two superman

damn can you imagine,,,,
  • El Payaso
    El Payaso Members Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭✭
    Lincoln was a made ?
    and i imagine had made ? with him.
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now im not saying what i was told is right, it's been awhile since i did school on the topic, but i read when lincoln was growing up his dad worked his ass off. Im sure he could of had some racism in him but he didnt agree with slavery. I also heard a large part of slaves being free in the north was so some would join the army.
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He aint own slaves but he hunted and killed Vampires...
  • Kushington
    Kushington Members Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IDK but his legacy is forever connected to slavery

Look at coins. All of them are "silverish"(white) and facing left....except for the penny, which is brown(black) and has lincoln facing right

Plus the penny is the lowest form of american currency.

Weird subliminal ?