Options
2»

Comments

• Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2012
    Options
    ? , his goal, not mine, may sound stupid but that's what he wanted to do
    “I have always thought that all men should be free; but if any should be slaves it should be first those who desire it for themselves, and secondly those who desire it for others. Whenever I hear any one arguing for slavery I feel a strong impulse to see it tried on him personally.” ( Lincoln, 1953, v8, p360-1)

That said nothing about him owning slaves or wanting to continue slavery. He argued that those who want it continued should themselves be subjected to the cruelty and those who enjoy the process for themselves should continue of their own free will. He did have black servants as MRDRO alluded to and he prob wasn't the most respectful to them.

• Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Lou Cypher wrote: »
    Now im not saying what i was told is right, it's been awhile since i did school on the topic, but i read when lincoln was growing up his dad worked his ass off. Im sure he could of had some racism in him but he didnt agree with slavery. I also heard a large part of slaves being free in the north was so some would join the army.

Slavery was already abolished in the North. They were freed in the south to support the Army and at on point, soldiers were considered for voting rights.
  • Trockm
    Trockm Members Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How are we to know, like any of us lived back then
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kushington wrote: »
    IDK but his legacy is forever connected to slavery

Look at coins. All of them are "silverish"(white) and facing left....except for the penny, which is brown(black) and has lincoln facing right

Plus the penny is the lowest form of american currency.

Weird subliminal ?

u could also see it as lincoln was the only one moving forward. or all the other presidents looking to lincoln.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    ? , his goal, not mine, may sound stupid but that's what he wanted to do
    “I have always thought that all men should be free; but if any should be slaves it should be first those who desire it for themselves, and secondly those who desire it for others. Whenever I hear any one arguing for slavery I feel a strong impulse to see it tried on him personally.” ( Lincoln, 1953, v8, p360-1)
    are you sure you understand what that quote is saying?
    FuriousOne wrote: »
    They were freed in the south to support the Army and at on point, soldiers were considered for voting rights.
    it's a little more complicated than that since they were emancipated in areas in rebellion, which is not EXACTLY the entire South...
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2012
    Options
    oh ? are we really turning this simple yes or no question into a debate thread now smh
    he was still somewhat of a racist tho

By what standard? Let's keep it real even the coolest, Underground-Railroad-running abolitionist white ppl back then were racist as ? by today's standards. John Brown himself would probably come off like a redneck republican in 2012.
    I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races; I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people

I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I, as much as any other man, am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race

abrham lincoln

Ah yes, I remember that quote. Spoken during the famous Lincoln-Douglas debates. The context for this is Douglas and the Democrats trying to scare people away from voting for Lincoln by claiming he wanted -

WAIT FOR IT

- to let Negroes marry ppl's pure white daughters lmao ohhhhhhh noooooooo. In fact, at that specific debate.....

Democrats held up a banner that read "? equality" with a picture of a white man, a ? woman and a mulatto child.

Look, I don't think I have to explain how politically suicidal it would have been for Lincoln to respond: "Sure! I want ? bucks to pipe your precious white southern belles!"
    civil war wasnt about the right/wrongs of slavery it was out of pure spite

Read your history. It'll make you madder.

It was started out of spite alright.......Southern spite............over slavery. Anybody who doesn't think the South started the Civil War like lil ? in the name of slavery needs to be pimpslapped becuz MOST of the ppl who believe that are racist-ass crackas in the worst way.

Texas Declaration of Secession:

...in this free government *all white men are and of right ought to be entitled to equal civil and political rights* [emphasis in the original]; that the servitude of the African race, as existing in these States, is mutually beneficial to both bond and free, and is abundantly authorized and justified by the experience of mankind, and the revealed will of the Almighty Creator, as recognized by all Christian nations; while the destruction of the existing relations between the two races, as advocated by our sectional enemies, would bring inevitable calamities upon both and desolation upon the fifteen slave-holding states....

Here's Mississippi's version:

....Our position is thoroughly identified with the institution of slavery-- the greatest material interest of the world. Its labor supplies the product which constitutes by far the largest and most important portions of commerce of the earth. These products are peculiar to the climate verging on the tropical regions, and by an imperious law of nature, none but the black race can bear exposure to the tropical sun. (LOL) These products have become necessities of the world, and a blow at slavery is a blow at commerce and civilization. That blow has been long aimed at the institution, and was at the point of reaching its consummation. There was no choice left us but submission to the mandates of abolition, or a dissolution of the Union, whose principles had been subverted to work out our ruin...

Here's the Vice President of the Confederacy:

The constitution, it is true, secured every essential guarantee to the institution while it should last, and hence no argument can be justly urged against the constitutional guarantees thus secured, because of the common sentiment of the day. Those ideas, however, were fundamentally wrong. They rested upon the assumption of the equality of races. This was an error. It was a sandy foundation, and the government built upon it fell when the "storm came and the wind blew." Our new government is founded upon exactly the opposite idea; its foundations are laid, its corner- stone rests, upon the great truth that the ? is not equal to the white man; that slavery subordination to the superior race is his natural and normal condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth...

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2010/04/the-ghost-of-bobby-lee/38813/

Do *not* get it twisted. The Confederacy was about dat slavery in the name of White Supremacy.
    Whites thought blacks were inferior because, in societal terms, they were...There is no way you can buy a slave, have him/her work for you, whip them, ? them...do whatever you want to them...and think they are equal to you

Wisdom.
    "Do you fools
    read post or
    Do you just skim
    Through it?"

Fool shut yo ass the ? up. Cite a source for your information. Oh wait, you can't because it doesn't exist lol. This is why I refuse to give you SL smart-dumb-? more than like a dozen posts a week nowdays. You ? will breathlessly claim that Brazil defeated the Aztecs during World War 2, then catch feelings when people point out how stupid you are. Imma get the hell outta here before one of you muhfuckas start claiming The Illuminati sent Jay-Z back in time to shoot Lincoln....