Characters you have taking at least 3 out of 10 against Thanos in a fight

Options

Comments

• jaxn
    jaxn Members Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Doctopian wrote: »
    jaxn wrote: »
    agreed, nowadays Surfer and Hulk may go quite differently and I had forgotten that Hulk was dying regardless..wasn't it something like his body was used as a nexus point for the two universes?

Right. Hulk cracked Onslaught's armor and the subsequent explosion separated the Hulk from Banner. Banner sacrificed himself with the non-mutant heroes to contain Onslaught's energy form, thus trapping him in Franklin Richard's Heroes Reborn Universe. As a result, both the Hulk and Banner were nexus beings who were infused with extra energy by being the link between the two universes, but their separation was killing the both of them at the same time. If I recall correctly, Hulk couldn't willfully manipulate the energy to power himself up, though. When Apocalypse turned him into War, the Celestial tech he put in Hulk's body allowed him to harness the power which resulted in him being strong enough to stop the Juggernaut and smack him around.
    Thanos ever have been with any of the X-Men related teams?

Due to Starlin's retcons, Thanos himself has never clashed with the X-Men exclusively, but a powered up Thanos clone did have a run-in with X-Man and the Hulk and fought Ka-Zar in the Savage Land.
    jaxn wrote: »
    i'm with you on trying to keep a discussion going Doctopian..just to keep things interesting in this forum, but what was your handle on SHC?

Due to them allowing you to change your username, I've had a couple of different handles over there. Doctopian, Doc Holiday, En Sabah Nur, and a few others, but I don't post there as much as I used to due to the crop of new posters.
    Word. So who are his main rivals or whatever?

Due to being more of a Marvel Universe villain, he isn't usually linked to any single hero, but if I were forced to link him to anyone, it would be Drax the Destroyer and Adam Warlock. Drax has acted as more of a physical rival/annoyance, created by Thanos' grandfather, Kronos to ? him. Warlock has always been more of an intellectual rival who has worked with Thanos just as many times as he has worked against him. You could also throw Captain Mar-vell in there, due to them butting heads in a few key arcs (Cosmic Cube, Pre-IG Soul Gems), and the key role that Thanos played in the Death of Captain Marvel graphic novel.

what's up Doc Holliday!!
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Thanos is too overhyped...he can't beat the whole avengers in his regular form...hulk would get punches, Thanos would win...but Thanos attacks can't dominate him...he is not physically stronger than turned up hulk. And none of his attacks can ? hulk. Its a good fight for a bit. Then Thanos out thinks him. Didn't Thor give him a run once? Apocalypse is a dumb character. Too much power but he sucks. He is weak.

I'm pretty sure Thanos has already beaten at least one Avengers team without any power-ups. And Thanos really wouldn't only fight Hulk straight up if he wanted to. Surfer has already owned Hulk by simply sapping the gamma energy that powers him. Thanos is not as good at energy manipulation as Surfer, but he could do that much.

• evoljeanyes
    evoljeanyes Members Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Thanos would not fight hulk that way. Thane is a brute at heart. Surfer is passive. I agree, Thanos will beat hulk 9 out 10 times. But again every ones made if energy why not decimate every early.
  • MorganFreemanKing
    MorganFreemanKing Members Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Thanos is far from a brute. While as an Eternal he has the strength to murk the Hulk physically, his greatest strength is his cunning. Dude is basically Batman on a cosmic scale.
  • evoljeanyes
    Options
    Thanos wants to slug unless other tactics are necessary. Also, I have been hearing that Batman ? a lot. It's not true. He is smart and sneaky but he ain't bats. Warlock or Doom or t'challa or Strange are better suited to work with prep than thane.
  • MorganFreemanKing
    MorganFreemanKing Members Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not really. Thanos doesn't work with props of his own and relies more on cunning and manipulation of other people.
  • evoljeanyes
    Options
    @morganfreemanking I get that part of it, but in battle he fights physically. He doesn't use his energy manipulation or telepathy very often. He fights and throws blows to win.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Thanos wants to slug unless other tactics are necessary. Also, I have been hearing that Batman ? a lot. It's not true. He is smart and sneaky but he ain't bats. Warlock or Doom or t'challa or Strange are better suited to work with prep than thane.

Wait what? I don't think you know anything about Thanos. Thanos' whole character is built around his cunning. Sure, he smacks people around when he doesn't see them as a threat or just wants a challenge, but more often than not he wins his battles through outsmarting his competition. lol @ any of those people you named being a better planner or more cunning than Thanos. Doom can't even take over control of the Earth. Thanos has controlled/destroyed the entire Universe on more than one occasion.

If you're talking about pure combat, then you should go back and read Thanos Quest. He fought all the holders of the gems and beat them by outsmarting them moreso than overpowering them.

• evoljeanyes
    Options
    Bruh again...I am not arguing about his cunning I am talking about his fighting style...he doesn't use his matter manipulation and energy manipulation like that. Thanos has WAY more natural power than Doom G! AGain in the Thanos quest he used his cunning to get a the gems not to fight...I feel like you're hell bent on disagreeing with me...G. I read comics...when Thanos fights its usually blows thrown. I say that to say that's the only reason I believe Hulk stands to get in some blows and if cranked up enough 1 time out of every 10-20 he could get a W. that's all. Also, the people I named are very much as good or better than Thanos as planning a victory. They all become much greater than their powers would allow them when they prepare.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Bruh again...I am not arguing about his cunning I am talking about his fighting style...he doesn't use his matter manipulation and energy manipulation like that. Thanos has WAY more natural power than Doom G! AGain in the Thanos quest he used his cunning to get a the gems not to fight...I feel like you're hell bent on disagreeing with me...G. I read comics...when Thanos fights its usually blows thrown. I say that to say that's the only reason I believe Hulk stands to get in some blows and if cranked up enough 1 time out of every 10-20 he could get a W. that's all. Also, the people I named are very much as good or better than Thanos as planning a victory. They all become much greater than their powers would allow them when they prepare.

How did Thanos beat Champion with the Power gem? How did he get the better of Tyrant? How did he defeat a clone of Galactus? It wasn't through brawling. You can't read much Thanos if you think that's all he does. The majority of Thanos' big battles haven't been of that nature. Again, the only time he even fights like that is when he knows he can manhandle his opponents such as with the Avengers or when he's trying to prove a point like with Odin. Otherwise, he makes use of all kinds of things be it technology, mysticism, hell he's even taken fights to the astral plane. No one who knows anything about Thanos would try and condense him down to a brute in a fight. When he was fighting an insane Thor, he brawled for a second, and then promptly ended the battle with some Tech. That's Thanos. He's resourceful and is not at all the kind of character who fights solely in the way you're describing.

And I'm sorry, but you're crazy if you'd honestly put Doom and Batman on the level with Thanos. Those guys are good no doubt, but Thanos has done pretty much everything they've done on a much higher level. He's just plain in a different tier than they are. Even his primary rival, Adam Warlock, has admitted that Thanos likely only loses due to an innate desire to do so. You can't say that about Doom. He gets outsmarted and beaten all the time by his rival.

I'm not arguing with you just to argue. I honestly don't see how you're making the claims that you're making because saying that Thanos just fights like a brute is completely contrary to the character.
  • evoljeanyes
    Options
    I feel you. Dog I swear, I understand you. This conversation has taken a turn. Remember originally we were discussing Hulk vs Thanos. Thanos would throw blows with Hulk. That's the shot hulk would have.

Again. I know Thanos to be tactful. Not on a Batman level because bats only wins due to tact. Thanos will best your ass physically. Thanos is a more powerful being than Doom. Doom is a human. When he prepares and does powerful ? its a bigger deal than trill ass thanos doing it.

Also he tricked champion for the ring g...what on earth would paunch do to galactus!?
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Well we'll have to agree to disagree. Batman and Doom have done nothing lead me to believe that their preparation and tactics are better than Thanos'. Again Thanos' planning makes him a Universal threat. Sure, he's got a lot of power, but it's not his power that has made him so dangerous. There are tons of being in the Marvel universe millions of times more powerful than Thanos, yet he's made them all his ? on at least two occasions. What have Batman and Doom ever done to rival that?

But if we go back to the Hulk vs Thanos discussion, my point is that Thanos will do whatever he needs to do to accomplish his goal. I'm not saying that he wouldn't brawl with Hulk. He would because Thanos likes to test himself, but once he gets to the point where the fight is begin to impede on his progress, he wil do whatever it takes to end it and go about his business. The perfect example was with insane Thor. Thanos brawled with him, but when he realized it was more trouble that it was worth, he grabbed some tech and ended it instantly. He would do the same with Hulk.
  • DarkRaiden
    DarkRaiden Members Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Well we'll have to agree to disagree. Batman and Doom have done nothing lead me to believe that their preparation and tactics are better than Thanos'. Again Thanos' planning makes him a Universal threat. Sure, he's got a lot of power, but it's not his power that has made him so dangerous. There are tons of being in the Marvel universe millions of times more powerful than Thanos, yet he's made them all his ? on at least two occasions. What have Batman and Doom ever done to rival that?

But if we go back to the Hulk vs Thanos discussion, my point is that Thanos will do whatever he needs to do to accomplish his goal. I'm not saying that he wouldn't brawl with Hulk. He would because Thanos likes to test himself, but once he gets to the point where the fight is begin to impede on his progress, he wil do whatever it takes to end it and go about his business. The perfect example was with insane Thor. Thanos brawled with him, but when he realized it was more trouble that it was worth, he grabbed some tech and ended it instantly. He would do the same with Hulk.

Now I know Thanos>>>Doom maybe even with intelligence, but that statement about Doom never rivaling Thanos is kinda dumb when he stole Galactus' powers, actually took over Earth a few times, has collected more than 1 Infinity Gauntlets, and most of all, stole classic "? " Beyonder's powers. Doom has done some impressive things as well. Batman? Yeah he's not ? with no one. Just my 2 cents.
  • evoljeanyes
    Options
    I agree to disagree too! I can tell you know your ? . I am just measuring things differently. Thanos can be unphased by mjornin at times. He is powerful! I get what you're saying though. No need to argue. I agree with the hulk part.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    DarkRaiden wrote: »

Now I know Thanos>>>Doom maybe even with intelligence, but that statement about Doom never rivaling Thanos is kinda dumb when he stole Galactus' powers, actually took over Earth a few times, has collected more than 1 Infinity Gauntlets, and most of all, stole classic "? " Beyonder's powers. Doom has done some impressive things as well. Batman? Yeah he's not ? with no one. Just my 2 cents.

lol Come on man. Read what you put. Doom stole Surfer's powers not Galactus'. Thanos has clone and improved Galactus. Think about that for a second. Thanos CLONED and IMPROVED a cosmic being that has existed since the beginning of the universe. Doom took over the Earth a few times. Thanos took over the Universe a couple times. Doom collected multiple gems. Thanos collected ALL of the gems, and unlike Doom, Thanos had to best the Elders of the Universe to get them. Doom stole classic Beyonder's powers, which if I'm not mistaken was part of classic Beyonder's plan, so that doesn't even really count. Do you really not see the difference in the scope of their accomplishments. I'm not down Doom. He's a great villain and is very crafty. I'm just pointing out that Thanos is on another level. Remember, this is Marvel, not DC. There is a pretty big jump in capabilities when going from Marvel Earth to Cosmic Marvel. Everything is amped up on the Cosmic side. When some element of the Cosmic side comes to Earth, it automatically becomes a big event for Earth. That same big event might be a run of the mill occurence as far as Cosmic Marvel goes. Thanos stands above Doom, because Thanos is Doom on a Cosmic level.

• evoljeanyes
    Options
    Right but because Thanos is so much more powerful, to me, I see doom having advanced his own skills more as a result of prep. That's it. Doom should not be ? with Surfer ever. But he did due to prep.
  • Mr. 66Hundred
    Mr. 66Hundred Members Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Mufuccas sleepin on Darkseid and the Omega Sanction
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Right but because Thanos is so much more powerful, to me, I see doom having advanced his own skills more as a result of prep. That's it. Doom should not be ? with Surfer ever. But he did due to prep.

lol I see what you're saying, but you're continuously missing something. Surfer is far more powerful than Doom, yet Doom got the better of him due to planning. That's true. However the Elders, Galactus, Tyrant, the Inbetweener, etc... are all far more powerful than Thanos, yet he's gotten the better of all of them.

Your argument would be correct if Thanos routinely faced the same level of competition and only managed to do as much as Doom. I'd agree with you then because Thanos has more tools at his disposal. However, that's not the case. The gap in capability between Thanos and his opposition is bigger than the gap between Doom and his. Think about it for a second. Doom's nemesis is Reed Richards and 9 times out of 10 Reed gets the better of Doom. Thanos's nemesis is probably Adam Warlock and at best Warlock gets the upper hand 5 out of 10 and again Warlock himself has admitted that even in those victories Thanos was as much responsible for his losing as anyone else.

• evoljeanyes
    Options
    OK...I see what you're saying. But Thanos is more powerful than Adam Warlock. As is Reed to doom. I love Warlock but he isn't ? with Thanos off of anything but will. They're measuring each other. Also Warlock can say that all he wants (its false warlock is always self deprecating), but him saying thane only loses when he wants proves Thane is closer to Gal than a human is to Surfer. Dooms whole skill-set comes from prep.

Reed has the same intellect as Doom. That's doom's skill. He is measured next to Reed who is doom +. Same with Joker to Batman and then Batman to Bane.

Doom is a human. No powers. The gap between him and surfer is bigger than Thane and Gal and them.
  • DarkRaiden
    DarkRaiden Members Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭
    Options

lol Come on man. Read what you put. Doom stole Surfer's powers not Galactus'. Thanos has clone and improved Galactus. Think about that for a second. Thanos CLONED and IMPROVED a cosmic being that has existed since the beginning of the universe. Doom took over the Earth a few times. Thanos took over the Universe a couple times. Doom collected multiple gems. Thanos collected ALL of the gems, and unlike Doom, Thanos had to best the Elders of the Universe to get them. Doom stole classic Beyonder's powers, which if I'm not mistaken was part of classic Beyonder's plan, so that doesn't even really count. Do you really not see the difference in the scope of their accomplishments. I'm not down Doom. He's a great villain and is very crafty. I'm just pointing out that Thanos is on another level. Remember, this is Marvel, not DC. There is a pretty big jump in capabilities when going from Marvel Earth to Cosmic Marvel. Everything is amped up on the Cosmic side. When some element of the Cosmic side comes to Earth, it automatically becomes a big event for Earth. That same big event might be a run of the mill occurence as far as Cosmic Marvel goes. Thanos stands above Doom, because Thanos is Doom on a Cosmic level.

No, Doom stole Galactus's powers, when right before he stole Beyonders(and IIRC It wasn't beyonder's plan, he just found a way to trick him into giving it up or something dumb like that) and another time when he was commenting on knowing and seeing everything in thr universe due to Galactus's cosmic awareness. Doom, a human, stole Galactus's, an entity, powers with ease. He took Beyonder, who is ? essentially, powers, he actually accomplished his goal of taking over the earth and gave it up multiple times. He also beat Marquis the Death, a universal being, with years of prep after making himself immortal and refining his magic over the years. He's done a lot.

Also Doom has multiple Infinity Gauntlets from different universes, not just gems. He's on his level. And btw I agree that Thanos is pretty much Doom on a cosmic scale, I said he's better, but Doom is comparable. IIRC he's so good that Thanos himself keeps tabs on him.
  • evoljeanyes
    Options
    @darkraiden in here holding me down! Lol I like lonious monk I just disagree with him on this one!
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

No, Doom stole Galactus's powers, when right before he stole Beyonders(and IIRC It wasn't beyonder's plan, he just found a way to trick him into giving it up or something dumb like that) and another time when he was commenting on knowing and seeing everything in thr universe due to Galactus's cosmic awareness. Doom, a human, stole Galactus's, an entity, powers with ease. He took Beyonder, who is ? essentially, powers, he actually accomplished his goal of taking over the earth and gave it up multiple times. He also beat Marquis the Death, a universal being, with years of prep after making himself immortal and refining his magic over the years. He's done a lot.

Also Doom has multiple Infinity Gauntlets from different universes, not just gems. He's on his level. And btw I agree that Thanos is pretty much Doom on a cosmic scale, I said he's better, but Doom is comparable. IIRC he's so good that Thanos himself keeps tabs on him.

Ehhh fair enough. Seems I was mistaken in several areas. To be honest, I think I got the account of what happened with the Beyonder mixed up with the Spiderman cartoon. In that version, the Beyonder really did let Doom think he stole the power. I do know Galactus was damn near on death's door in his appearance in the comics. It was the explanation for why the Beyonder was able to handle him so easily and possibly why Doom was able to steal his power.

Anyway, I agree Doom is a beast. I just think Thanos is better in virtually every area, besides mysticism (Thanos has knowledge of this but not the extent of Doom). I guess we agree on this. We just disagree on the scope of the difference between them. That's fair.
  • jaxn
    Options
    Doom didn't steal those gauntlets though. they were given to him by Valeria Richards iirc. And if i'm not mistaken, Doom used the cosmic cube to help steal Galactus' powers.
  • jaxn
    Options

No, Doom stole Galactus's powers, when right before he stole Beyonders(and IIRC
    iirc, Doom stole Galan's powers first and used this power to steal Beyonders.
    It wasn't beyonder's plan, he just found a way to trick him into giving it up or something dumb like that) and another time when he was commenting on knowing and seeing everything in thr universe due to Galactus's cosmic awareness. Doom, a human, stole Galactus's, an entity, powers with ease.
    I think Doom used the cosmic cube and an energy siphoning device to get the power
    He took Beyonder, who is ? essentially, powers,
    When Beyonder was first introduced into Marvel, he was that dude..then they retconned him to being part of a cosmic cube, they later retconned him to being an mutant Inhuman
    he actually accomplished his goal of taking over the earth and gave it up multiple times. He also beat Marquis the Death, a universal being, with years of prep after making himself immortal and refining his magic over the years. He's done a lot.
    this was a cool little story arc. unfortunately Marvel seems to have forgotten all of this..i haven't checked it out in awhile but didn't it turn out that the marquis was doom?
    Ehhh fair enough. Seems I was mistaken in several areas. To be honest, I think I got the account of what happened with the Beyonder mixed up with the Spiderman cartoon. In that version, the Beyonder really did let Doom think he stole the power. I do know Galactus was damn near on death's door in his appearance in the comics. It was the explanation for why the Beyonder was able to handle him so easily and possibly why Doom was able to steal his power.
    Yeah iirc, Galactus was trying to get at Beyonder to end his hunger
  • nawledge_god
    nawledge_god Members Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Thanos Biggest Rival Is Himself ...His Insecurities And Self Doubt...Dude Had The Infinity Gaunlet and Heart Of The Universe ....Top 3 Villains In All Of Comics IMO