Punks who blinded teen in anti-? attack at Brooklyn high school may get only 18 months detention

Options
MorrisBX
MorrisBX Members Posts: 652 ✭✭✭
edited July 2012 in The Social Lounge
July 14 - Punks who blinded teen in anti-? attack at Brooklyn high school may get only 18 months detention - ThatHustle.com
image.jpg

Rose Ulysse, mom of 14-year-old beating victim Kardin Ulysse, outside Brooklyn Family Court.

The pint-sized punks who pummeled a teen in a school cafeteria leaving him blind in one eye are facing a slap on the wrist for their anti-? motivated attack, officials said Friday.

Dressed like choirboys in their Sunday best, the little hooligans were arraigned in Brooklyn Family Court on assault as a hate crime with their lawyers entering not guilty pleas.

The maximium penalty they face for the maiming is just 18 months in a juvenile facility if they're convicted, officials said. They would face considerably more jail time under the hate crime statute if they were adults.

The 14-year-old victim, Kardin Ulysse, did not attend the brief proceeding. He underwent a corneal on transplant on his right eye this week, his fifth surgery since the vicious attack at Roy H. Mann Junior High School in Bergen Beach on June 5.
"These are not children," the boy's father Pierre Ulysse said referring to the perps. "They're animals. Unfortunately I can't do to them what I want to do."

"These kids get to go home and our son is suffering with one eye," Ulysse added.

image.jpg
Lawyer Sanford Rubinstein holds up a photo of Kardin Ulysse, 14, who was brutally beaten in the cafeteria of Roy H. Mann High School in Brooklyn. Kardin has undergone 5 surgeries since the attack, which left him blind in one eye.
Kardin, an eighth-grader, was set upon by the two seventh-graders ages 12 and 13, who were calling him a "? ? ," a "? ," a 'transvestite" and "? ," according to a Department of Education incident report.

Sources said Kardin was wearing a wig that belonged to his mother as a goof when he was set upon. The beatdown was captured on a surveillance camera.
"They gave him a real bad beating," said a knowledgeable source. "They keep hitting him continually as (Kardin) is running around tables trying to get away."

Kardin's eyeglasses were shattered and the lens shards may have damaged the cornea.

The Ulysse family has put the city on notice that they will file a $16 million negligence lawsuit for failing to supervise the cafeteria. There were female food servers in the cafeteria who are not authorized to intervene in brawls, the source said.
"Kardin's parents will be here for every proceeding because they want justice for their son and they want bullying in the public schools to stop," said their lawyer Sanford Rubenstein.

Pierre Ulysse said his son has lost more than 20 pounds since he was injured and is severely depressed.
"The doctors give us some hope that he will see, but no guarantee," he said. "Taking my son's eye off is worse than bullying."

Source: NY Daily News

July 14 - Punks who blinded teen in anti-? attack at Brooklyn high school may get only 18 months detention - ThatHustle.com

Comments

• loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Say What
    Say What Members Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They were 12 & 13 how much time do you want.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They are teenagers...you don't try them as adults for that.
  • ChromaStoned
    ChromaStoned Members Posts: 938 ✭✭✭
    Options
    18 mths of work work work work and pay for some of that dudes medical ?
  • SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    maybe it's better to try to fix a 12 or 13 year old with violent anti-social behavior than bury them under a jail.
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Life isn't fair, I feel for the poor kid. They were 12 so not sure how cruel we can be to them, but maybe ? should be a little more careful on what they wear outside. Not out of hatred on my end, but because of the many people out there who really can't stand tranvestite looking dudes
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? it blind all of them back..... u cant use age as an excuse all the time.... this was calculated and malicious.
  • Gold_Certificate
    Gold_Certificate Members Posts: 13,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That seems to be a rather biased article.
  • KLICHE
    KLICHE Members Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If I had a son, and he did this to someone no matter what he thought of them, best believe I will be whooping his ass as soon as I saw him.
  • down2earth
    down2earth Members Posts: 953 ✭✭✭
    Options
    That's a brutal crime with some permanent damage as the end result. I'm not sure trying them as "children" is fair. Sure you can get them some help and/or medication, while they are sitting in a jail for a few years imo. Not sure some people understand how intensely you have to beat someone to permanently damage their eye.
  • soulbrother
    soulbrother Members Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Being that these kids are12 and 13 its hard to punish them with a 10 year jail sentence....kids that age do dumb ? ...but their parents should be held liable for ALL medical bills and the kids should get community service at a hospital with severely injured children and I would also make them kids sweep the streets of NY after the ? Pride Parade...
  • Iceberg Slick
    Iceberg Slick Members Posts: 784 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The punk was in Brooklyn what did the ? expect? He got what he deserved and at least he got a dose of reality hella young. The perps were young and 18 months is too much for them. Only punk ? would complain. The punk ? kid just learned a lesson from the school of hard knocks and survived to live another day.
  • Lurker6
    Lurker6 Members Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    damn@ 16 mill lawsuit
  • PK_TK_187
    PK_TK_187 Members Posts: 2,240
    Options
    they should get like 10 years or something
    enough time to get over the anger and enough time to realise you cant treat people like that
  • Aristo_V300
    Aristo_V300 Members Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kids will be kids.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    The punk was in Brooklyn what did the ? expect? He got what he deserved and at least he got a dose of reality hella young. The perps were young and 18 months is too much for them. Only punk ? would complain. The punk ? kid just learned a lesson from the school of hard knocks and survived to live another day.
    yes, how dare he complain about being partially blinded after he... wait, i missed the justification for the attack

unrelated note: always with these damn lawsuits

• JJ 1975
    JJ 1975 Members Posts: 336
    Options
    I feel bad for the kid and I am sure his parents want justice somehow. How would the bullies like their corneas out? They need to be schooled on what they really did to that dude.
  • DarcSkies
    DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    PK_TK_187 wrote: »
    they should get like 10 years or something
    enough time to get over the anger and enough time to realise you cant treat people like that
    U must be from the south LOL

Send them to PRISON to learn to not be violent? Riiiiight...and next week Im sending my daughters to a brothel to learn abstinence. That'll teach the little ? .

Anyway, they deserve a way harsher treatment. They blinded that guy. Age shouldnt be an excuse because the victim is young also and his opportunities in life are dwindled because of his now handicapped. Dont try them as adults but also dont give them a slap on the wrist. Crimes to this level should be punished a bit more harshly than the usual for a juvi.
  • -Slim-
    -Slim- Members Posts: 28
    Options
    really 16 million? sounds like they tryin to turn their son's assault and injury into a profit...
  • unspoken_respect
    unspoken_respect Members Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yep, the slap on the hand ? is what creates monsters. Ask anyone who works with djj. Sleep on the age if you want. People change their views once they step in those shoes and it's your child, relative, friend ect.....
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yep, the slap on the hand ? is what creates monsters. Ask anyone who works with djj. Sleep on the age if you want. People change their views once they step in those shoes and it's your child, relative, friend ect.....

exactly... I am a therapist and I counsel juveniles and foster car kids in ATL. They know the system and know they have points to build up to til they turn 17 which = nothin but probation and slaps on the wrists while they rob assault and do other ? . just cuz ur a teenager doesnt mean u absolved from accountability for your actions. They beat that boy til he was blind cuz he was ? smh Imagine if that was ur child