Anybody here get down with Ubuntu?

Options
caddo man
caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2012 in IllTek
I was thinking about putting it on my old PC that I dont use. It has XP right now. It also has a trojan that I cant shake out. I have tried everything from OTL to HiJackthis.

So I made the decision to either upgrade the OS or cannabalize it for my Dell that I am bringing back to life.

Comments

• powerman 5000
    powerman 5000 Members Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ubuntu is okay, you seem more like a red hat type though. I run fedora. If the system resources are low like half gig of ram, you can go with one of those little distros like mint, dsl or puppy. That would squeeze a few more years out of your box too. I don't know your specs but, it may make a good mythtv box (mythbuntu) or media server as well.
  • MrSoutCity
    MrSoutCity Members Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    When I bought my first laptop it came with vista. ? was so terrible the I switched to ubuntu until windows 7 came out.
  • NotAName4
    NotAName4 Members Posts: 27
    Options
    Used it on my PS3 back in the day, Flipping between Windows 7 and 8 atm.
  • caddo man
    Options
    Not going to lie Like Windows 7 to the point I want to upgrade my CPU to it but I dont want to pay for it and I hate torrent version of OS's. Last time I did a downloaded version the ? was corrupt. I was young at the IT game then. I aint grown yet but I more knowledgeable. That is why I am trying to get more experience with LINUX.
  • Bloo Q
    Bloo Q Members Posts: 377
    Options
    caddo man wrote:
    I was thinking about putting it on my old PC that I dont use. It has XP right now. It also has a trojan that I cant shake out. I have tried everything from OTL to HiJackthis.

So I made the decision to either upgrade the OS or cannabalize it for my Dell that I am bringing back to life.

Run the following on it:

TDSS Killer
    ESET ERA Remover
    Malwarebytes
    ComboFix

That combination can usually catch everything.

Ubuntu is cool and all, but kinda... Linux Lite, if you will. Cool for beginners, but you'll probably want more eventually. Right now, one of my laptops has Backtrack 5R2 on it, which is based on Ubuntu for pen-testing and wifi security testing. It's great, but it's so narrow in focus that I keep another machine handy running CentOS 6 for everything else.
  • caddo man
    Options
    I put Ubuntu on my desktop and I love it. I have been using the different apps on it for some studying I have been doing.

Now since I have done this I might partition my son's laptop and put it on his. I think his has Vista. I still havent made my mind yet. I need to do something with it cause it is just wasting away in my closet.
  • powerman 5000
    powerman 5000 Members Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My only suggestion is give it a few months, then try a different flavor of linux. it gets addicting and if you paranoid like me, you'll end up with a pfsense box in your house.
  • rage
    rage Members Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'd like to use Linux but no Netflix and Silverlight makes it impossible.
  • MrSoutCity
    Options
    moon light is the substitute for silver light. And netflix ? up.
  • rage
    rage Members Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So I can watch netflix with moonlight?
  • MrSoutCity
    edited September 2012
    Options
    rage wrote: »
    So I can watch netflix with moonlight?

If silverlight is what's needed for netflix then yea. But I think netflix block linux so that people won't downloads movies after they watch them online since is so easy.