Street Boys: 7 Kids. 1 Estate. No Way Out. The True Story of a Lost Childhood

straight sho
straight sho Members Posts: 601
edited July 2012 in Growing Pains
The shocking, powerful true story of the lives of 7 young kids, marred by guns, gangs and violence on one of Britain’s toughest estates.

‘Everyone was out there and there were gunshots. Bang, bang, bang. It was hectic. Someone had been shot. I didn't know the guy. We were all young. There was blood everywhere man. He'd been shot in the face.’

This is the story of Elijah (JaJa), Simon (Phat Si), ‘Bloods’, Nathan (Inch), Michael (Birdie), Byron (Ribz), and Darren (Tempman).These 7 young boys each have one thing in common – they grew up on the Angell Town estate. Living on one of the most deprived estates in the UK, the boys form a misfit family, a gang called the PDC, the Peel Dem Crew – their answer to the chaos of life on the estate.

Ribz's mother sells ? and is sent to prison. Ribz doesn't know who his father is but does know that his father has an unknown number of children all living in Angell Town. Phat Si comes home from school to find his mother gone, so he takes to the streets. He’s 8 years old.

JaJa witnesses his mother beaten by his father every day, until eventually they run away to London and to the Angell Town estate. He movingly describes his slow descent from petty theft to armed robbery as life amongst Yardies and prostitutes in Angell Town engulfs him.

‘From about 10 years old I went by myself, robbing people. Crime just got me. It got bigger and bigger until it was like an addiction. When I bought my first pair of trainers myself, that’s when it became a problem. I see my friends with new trainers and it used to play on my mind and I thought “I know how to get it”. So I went out and got it.’

Behind the screaming headlines and terrifying statistics on guns, gangs and youth crime pouring from estates all over Britain, lie the broken lives of these young boys. As they grow up and friends are shot and stabbed around them, the boys struggle to find a way out of the chaos.

Street Boys is their shocking, powerful and important story - and will stay with you.

Comments

• Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No one cares about britian breh....
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lol@Britain... lol@Americans doing better British accents than real Brits...
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They live on an estate so whats the problem?
  • JJ 1975
    JJ 1975 Members Posts: 336
    Estates? Is that code for the hood?
  • AdidasWun
    AdidasWun Members Posts: 443
    In the UK Housing Projects are called Estates. London has just as many high rises as New York

• mc317
    mc317 Members Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The shocking, powerful true story of the lives of 7 young kids, marred by guns, gangs and violence on one of Britain’s toughest estates.

‘Everyone was out there and there were gunshots. Bang, bang, bang. It was hectic. Someone had been shot. I didn't know the guy. We were all young. There was blood everywhere man. He'd been shot in the face.’

This is the story of Elijah (JaJa), Simon (Phat Si), ‘Bloods’, Nathan (Inch), Michael (Birdie), Byron (Ribz), and Darren (Tempman).These 7 young boys each have one thing in common – they grew up on the Angell Town estate. Living on one of the most deprived estates in the UK, the boys form a misfit family, a gang called the PDC, the Peel Dem Crew – their answer to the chaos of life on the estate.

Ribz's mother sells ? and is sent to prison. Ribz doesn't know who his father is but does know that his father has an unknown number of children all living in Angell Town. Phat Si comes home from school to find his mother gone, so he takes to the streets. He’s 8 years old.

JaJa witnesses his mother beaten by his father every day, until eventually they run away to London and to the Angell Town estate. He movingly describes his slow descent from petty theft to armed robbery as life amongst Yardies and prostitutes in Angell Town engulfs him.

‘From about 10 years old I went by myself, robbing people. Crime just got me. It got bigger and bigger until it was like an addiction. When I bought my first pair of trainers myself, that’s when it became a problem. I see my friends with new trainers and it used to play on my mind and I thought “I know how to get it”. So I went out and got it.’

Behind the screaming headlines and terrifying statistics on guns, gangs and youth crime pouring from estates all over Britain, lie the broken lives of these young boys. As they grow up and friends are shot and stabbed around them, the boys struggle to find a way out of the chaos.

Street Boys is their shocking, powerful and important story - and will stay with you.

Thumbnail.aspx?c=BgQNkLVT&w=320&h=356&i=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.powerbuzz.org%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2012%2F09%2Fsuicide.jpg

Stat. ? mash and bangers ass ? , crumpets uber ass muthafuckas, double decker bus ass muthafuckas, what in the ? hell lookin muthafuckas,