Who had the bigger impact in pop culture? Dave Chappelle or Seth Macfarlane

Comments

• CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So where is chris rock, the cedrics and the bernie macks in all this
  • CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The martin lawrences and jamie foxxes and paul mooneys....football comparison doesnt stick, yall young ? need to chill. He had a great 2 year run
  • J. Will
    J. Will Members Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭✭✭
    trey parker and matt stone > Seth mcfarlane....

Dave wins this argument...Dave hasnt done a stand-up for the masses and his show been off for about 8 years now and people still quoting lines on a daily basis...
  • rage
    rage Members Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dave has a bigger impact because he was saying something, Seth McFarland doesn't say ? . He just does shocking comedy mostly. Cheap laughs. No content.

Since when did pop culture have anything to do with "content" pop culture in its very nature is devoid of any "content" . And to say that Family Guy hasnt made political statements is ? . Dave isnt even close to Seth McFarland in terms of impact on pop culture...it isnt close.
  • bdbdbd
    bdbdbd Members Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MobTown wrote: »
    Im done with this thread after i saw peope putting dave over eddie and that ? football comparison. Stop over rating him

semi cosign....
    i think those that put dave over eddie are from the younger generation...anyone that grew up listening/watching eddie would deem someone like dave chappelle/katt williams(wack)/kevin hart, being better, as blasphemous....thats not taking away anything from dave....im 26, so i didnt necessarily grow up on eddie murphy, i had to play catch up...same with richard pryor...but i heard these ? way before D.C. these ? had me gasping for breath, lauhing uncontrollably...i mean i had their shows on VHS, these guys were the originators....

i tried showing my ace some eddie murphy A year ago, he is one year older than me, but never got into standup until the katt williams days....and he thought eddie was rubbish, he just didnt get it....hurt my soul man

• evoljeanyes
    evoljeanyes Members Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dave chappelle is astronomically better than Hart and Katy williams. What ? political statement has family guy made?

Pop culture is anything relevant culturally. The term redefines itse based on public interest. Dave talks of unity and fabricated differences. Rick James, racial draft, the ? , those things will be fixtures long after McFarland. Because McFarland can be duplicated Chappelle is more difficult to duplicate. McFarland, Simpsons, and south park are one in the same.
  • evoljeanyes
    What impact has Seth had on pop culture that south park and Simpson's haven't?
  • evoljeanyes
    What impact has Seth had on pop culture that south park and Simpson's haven't?
  • ocelot
    ocelot Members Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @evoljeanyes came and crushed the buildings...

What's your rebuttal @rage

• PILL_COSBY
    PILL_COSBY Members Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is exactly why I thought you were young ice lol.
  • ocelot
    Naw bruh I rarely troll on here... And I'm not a GNS/ Donkey poster...lol
  • plocc
    plocc Members Posts: 921 ✭✭✭✭
    Id pick Dave Chapelle. He kind of did some Ali ? . As far as integrity goes. Like told comedy central to kiss his ass
    Keep that money. I'll keep my dignity. He was on the brink of snapping, on some Martin Lawrence ? .
    Plus he did that block party joint where he took the Central State marching band to New York outta his own pocket
    And he actually stays in Yellow Springs Ohio. Dude said ? hollyweird.
    But on the real family guy be touching on some real ? though.
    They take shots at everybody. Religions, ethnic groups, politicians, celebrities. Nobody's safe.
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "POP CULTURE"
    and some how you guys choose dave?
  • rage
    rage Members Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dave chappelle is astronomically better than Hart and Katy williams. What ? political statement has family guy made?

Pop culture is anything relevant culturally. The term redefines itse based on public interest. Dave talks of unity and fabricated differences. Rick James, racial draft, the ? , those things will be fixtures long after McFarland. Because McFarland can be duplicated Chappelle is more difficult to duplicate. McFarland, Simpsons, and south park are one in the same.

This is some of the most ? ? I have ever read! Again and for the last time POPular culture has ? all to do with how impact full your political statements are. You put a pic of Stewie up beside a pic of Dave and show it to 1000 people. If you seriously believe that the vast majority will reconfigure Dave over Stewie, or Brian or Peter...you need serious help. Selema Gomez, Justin Beiber, NSync are all vapid useless muppets and each one of them have had a FAR greater influence on POPular Culture than Dave. Stop adding this political angle just because you want to make a point. It's bullahit.
  • Grahf
    Grahf Members Posts: 344 ✭✭
    edited July 2012
    rage wrote: »

This is some of the most ? ? I have ever read! Again and for the last time POPular culture has ? all to do with how impact full your political statements are. You put a pic of Stewie up beside a pic of Dave and show it to 1000 people. If you seriously believe that the vast majority will reconfigure Dave over Stewie, or Brian or Peter...you need serious help. Selema Gomez, Justin Beiber, NSync are all vapid useless muppets and each one of them have had a FAR greater influence on POPular Culture than Dave. Stop adding this political angle just because you want to make a point. It's bullahit.

Agree, and also: Dave made skits on race, social class, etc and ? in the real world hasn't changed one bit. Justin Bieber released one lousy song, and you got every ? white boy in the world under 21 getting that wind-swept hairstyle. In terms of pop culture phenomena in the last 10 years: Angry Birds, Justin Bieber, Twilight, CoD, Susan Boyle, Harry Potter, Facebook/Twitter rise > Dave Chappelle. ? I even got Farmville in front of Chappelle.

• evoljeanyes
    @rage you brought up political statements I expanded. Your literally redefining the thread topic. Are Stewey Brian and them more popular visibly? Yea, but did they impact pop culture any differently than any south park or Simpsons character? No so there impact is marginal. Chappellw is the smartest black comic there is. White people love him as do black people. He broke barriers and left 50million on the table. Those are ground breaking pop cultural things. His no dressing up like a women clause is monumental. This isn't political. Re-evaluate the thread topic. Yes family guy is more recognizable. Impactful, no!
  • evoljeanyes
    @rage you brought up political statements I expanded. Your literally redefining the thread topic. Are Stewey Brian and them more popular visibly? Yea, but did they impact pop culture any differently than any south park or Simpsons character? No so there impact is marginal. Chappellw is the smartest black comic there is. White people love him as do black people. He broke barriers and left 50million on the table. Those are ground breaking pop cultural things. His no dressing up like a women clause is monumental. This isn't political. Re-evaluate the thread topic. Yes family guy is more recognizable. Impactful, no!
  • El Payaso
    El Payaso Members Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭✭
    Jesus christ sometimes you ? make me sick.
    Black Dynamite is the best show ever since the Boondocks.
    Dave Chapelle has had a much bigger impact than Seth Macfarlane because he makes me laugh more.
    You're the same people who wanna pretend you got Obama elected and Grape Soda counts as a serving of fruit.
    Pfff "Kids these days" - Asher Roth
  • dallas' 4 eva
    dallas' 4 eva Members Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lou Cypher wrote: »
    chapelle by far. seth just copied what the simpsons did.

All that has to be said..

Family guy > Simpsons imo tho.

Simpsons at their best >>>> Family Guy at its best

Ted was funny as hell tho. it was like a really well focused no holds barred family guy episode. you could tell seth loved doing it.

South Park >>> Family Guy as well. Ted was ? hilarious though.
  • KINGEC
    KINGEC Members Posts: 7,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2012
    Chappelle Hands Down
  • mikelewis
    mikelewis Members Posts: 603 ✭✭✭
    Seth MacFarlane by far.

Consider this, years ago he helped write on and launch the original "Johnny Bravo" back in the day, that takeoff helped the careers of Butch Hartman, Genndy Tarkarvosky and Craig McCracken who forged the Fairly OddParents, Powerpuff Girls, Foster's Home for Imaginary Parents, and basically gave way to a lot of the kid shows we have right now. Seth also is great friends and feeds ideas with Matt Groening, despite everyone saying how he rips off "The Simpsons". His own show, Family Guy, has been immensely successful, launching four spin-off movies, three of which are based on a concept done and approved by George Lucas, two spin-off shows currently also on network television.

In terms of impact, Seth MacFarlane has his hands in a lot of different projects, shows and movies, which has aided in a lot of people's careers going forward. Chappelle has a few catchphrases and his show and stand-up sets are hilarious, there is no diminishing that at all, but aside from that what other impact has he had?? What careers has he furthered, what trends has he started that maintain to today, what has he done since Block Party?? Yes, he refused to fall in Hollywood's standards and that is respectable, but what else??

Chappelle is funnier (by the way, people need to watch Eddie Murphy Raw and stop disrespecting the man, give him his due), but MacFarlane has had a far greater impact for pop culture and continues to do so.
  • TrueGodHS
    TrueGodHS Members Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭✭
    Depends on what you consider the impact on pop culture to mean....

Chappelle will be known as someone who stood up for what he believed in, put forth live-action comedy that tested the boundaries, broke records on Comedy Central, and will always be infamous for what he's done.

MacFarlane isn't really the face per se for Family Guy. He's the architect of course, but people identify with his animated characters. I think there's the disconnect and why people might not know Macfarlane himself, but they know his characters. So behind the scenes, MacFarlane has built an empire, but at what cost?

I get the argument for both answers of course, but I rock with Chappelle on this.
  • ocelot
    @mikelewis

Didn't even know all that...Seth was part of our childhood...
  • mikelewis
    mikelewis Members Posts: 603 ✭✭✭
    ocelot wrote: »
    @mikelewis

Didn't even know all that...Seth was part of our childhood...

You'd be surprised man at how much influence the guy has had over the year.

Again, I am not knocking Chappelle for his contributions or his comedic genius, but as far as an impact, MacFarlane has been doing it for longer and have been doing it in many different places.
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol @ ? over rating Eddie Murphy. He just isn't as funny as Dave. Pryor is funny but he had no follow through and Dave does.

son...