Has anyone read "History of White people"?

Ajackson17
Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2012 in R & R (Religion and Race)
It's a good book and goes in depth on how whiteness and the arrogance and actually believing it to be the true mark of beauty in the world going back to the Greeks and Scythians. Pretty in depth read.

http://www.amazon.com/History-White-People-Irvin-Painter/dp/0393049345

Comments

• VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LOL @it being the true mark of beauty then covering their faces with tons of makeup and surgeries.
  • genocidecutter
    genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Ajackson17
    Good book worthy of reading and it was written by a black woman with a more objective view
  • God-I_Am_Ether
    God-I_Am_Ether Members Posts: 3,409
    Is the other name for it "The Book of Success"?
  • Ajackson17
    KingJamal wrote: »
    I spent how many years in school being forced to read about crackas history

U think I'm just gonna lounge around and read about they history again?

Hell muthafuckin no

Lol, it isn't about whites romanticizing their history this is real unadulterated history and it all makes sense why they seem so desperate about whiteness lol.

• Ajackson17
    over_? wrote: »
    Is the other name for it "The Book of Success"?

No
  • MARIO_DRO
    MARIO_DRO Members Posts: 14,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...AND A BLACK WOMAN WROTE THIS
  • Ajackson17
    "A mind-expanding and myth-destroying exploration of notions of white race—not merely a skin color but also a signal of power, prestige, and beauty to be withheld and granted selectively

Ever since the Enlightenment, race theory and its inevitable partner, racism, have followed a crooked road, constructed by dominant peoples to justify their ? of others. Filling a huge gap in historical literature that long focused on the non-white, eminent historian Nell Irvin Painter guides us through more than two thousand years of Western civilization, tracing not only the invention of the idea of race but also the frequent worship of “whiteness” for economic, social, scientific, and political ends.

Our story begins in Greek and Roman antiquity, where the concept of race did not exist, only geography and the opportunity to conquer and enslave others. Not until the eighteenth century did an obsession with whiteness flourish, with the German invention of the notion of Caucasian beauty. This theory made northern Europeans into “Saxons,” “Anglo-Saxons,” and “Teutons,” envisioned as uniquely handsome natural rulers.

Here was a worldview congenial to northern Europeans bent on empire. There followed an explosion of theories of race, now focusing on racial temperament as well as skin color. Spread by such intellectuals as Madame de Stael and Thomas Carlyle, white race theory soon reached North America with a vengeance. Its chief spokesman, Ralph Waldo Emerson, did the most to label Anglo-Saxons—icons of beauty and virtue—as the only true Americans. It was an ideal that excluded not only blacks but also all ethnic groups not of Protestant, northern European background. The Irish and Native Americans were out and, later, so were the Chinese, Jews, Italians, Slavs, and Greeks—all deemed racially alien. Did immigrations threaten the very existence of America? Americans were assumed to be white, but who among poor immigrants could become truly American? A tortured and convoluted series of scientific explorations developed—theories intended to keep Anglo-Saxons at the top: the ever-popular measurement of skulls, the powerful eugenics movement, and highly biased intelligence tests—all designed to keep working people out and down.

As Painter reveals, power—supported by economics, science, and politics—continued to drive exclusionary notions of whiteness until, deep into the twentieth century, political realities enlarged the category of truly American.

A story filled with towering historical figures, The History of White People forcefully reminds us that the concept of one white race is a recent invention. The meaning, importance, and realty of this all-too-human thesis of race have buckled under the weight of a long and rich unfolding of events. 70 illustrations"

This is what's its about. Just read the top lazy readers
  • NoCompetition
    NoCompetition Members Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ajackson17 wrote: »

Hell muthafuckin no

Lol, it isn't about whites romanticizing their history this is real unadulterated history and it all makes sense why they seem so desperate about whiteness lol.

Plenty of us already know. Even educated white people know their ancestors where the offspring of Africans with albinism who migrated north (Europe) because the sun was deadly. etc., Plenty already know this.
  • Ajackson17

Hell muthafuckin no

Plenty of us already know. Even educated white people know their ancestors where the offspring of Africans with albinism who migrated north (Europe) because the sun was deadly. etc., Plenty already know this.

Not enough lol in my opinion
  • Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes. its also called "every ? history book you've ever read in school"...
  • Ajackson17
    Did anyone even read what the book was about?
  • Ajackson17
    I had to move it, the G&S forum are filled with idiots
  • CracceR
    CracceR Members Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hell muthafuckin no

lolol so if we are albinos why dont we hav red eyes and why can we go into the sun
    and what are asians ancestors?
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chapter 1 How to Properly Exploit Africa
  • Ajackson17
    Can't have real threads on the IC.
  • God-I_Am_Ether
    God-I_Am_Ether Members Posts: 3,409
    The White race is the most succefull race of people to ever walk the planet.

You should make that into a thread in GnS
  • soulbrother
    soulbrother Members Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will have to kindly disagree with you sir or madam....The black race were forced to live in america through slaver...you already know the rest of the story....lived through lynchings, hangings, Jim Crow LAws, segregation, police brutality, racism, un-equal opportunities....and now look at us...a ? in the white house running this ? !

What possible struggles did white people have to go through in order to make it...please enlighten me
  • Ajackson17

I will have to kindly disagree with you sir or madam....The black race were forced to live in america through slaver...you already know the rest of the story....lived through lynchings, hangings, Jim Crow LAws, segregation, police brutality, racism, un-equal opportunities....and now look at us...a ? in the white house running this ? !

What possible struggles did white people have to go through in order to make it...please enlighten me

Oooh, this gonna be good. Well for the most part of white history until recent and I mean recent like 500 or 600 years ago, most of the time they were slaves.

• CracceR

well ts ajackson17 said that whites came from albinos
    so in his theory they had to walk all the way up north through the desert to find a better place for the albino skin
    so clearly whites had the hardest struggle
  • Ajackson17
    CracceR wrote: »

well ts ajackson17 said that whites came from albinos
    so in his theory they had to walk all the way up north through the desert to find a better place for the albino skin
    so clearly whites had the hardest struggle

Um, I never said that. It was another poster. Thank you and try again later.
  • CracceR
    aight my bad, it was NoCompetition who said it and Ajackson co-signed
  • High Revolutionary
    High Revolutionary Members Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2012
    Good drop, but I'm good.

I've learned that we tend to be a little too preoccupied with White people. I'm more concerned with uplifting myself and my people.

The Chinese aren't sitting around writing books and having roundtable discussions about the history of White people. They're too busy worrying about being the next superpower.