bull6599
bull6599 Members Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2012 in From the Cheap Seats
Roy Jones Jr. In 1988

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iww6JSiofrg

Or

Floyd Mayweather Jr. In 1996

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JzW2tKkM3Q

Me & 1 of my niggad were having this discussion the other day. I think Roy won in a more convincing fashion, but Floyd got robbed in his own country. It's obvious the both won though. Speak on it.

Comments

• bull6599
    Options
    My bad. Posting from my phone so it ? it up. SMH!
  • SocialAssassinRati
    SocialAssassinRati Members Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Im going with USSR over USA basketball in 1972….that ? was atrocious at least they robbed Roy in regulation…they restarted the game like 12 times so the Russians could win…but Roy is mod def a closet second.
  • gman82
    gman82 Members Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Im going with USSR over USA basketball in 1972….that ? was atrocious at least they robbed Roy in regulation…they restarted the game like 12 times so the Russians could win…but Roy is mod def a closet second.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

• ATTS
    ATTS Members Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    1972 b.ball ...those ? never even went back to take the silver medal...that ? locked up in a vault in switzerland....a couple of them had it in their will telling family members NOT to claim silver medal
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Come on dog, Roy no question. It was clear they were punishing him for his showboating. He completely dominated and outclassed his opponent. Floyd won, but his opponent at least gave him a fight, especially when you consider Olympic rules.
  • bull6599
    Options
    I was talking strictly boxing, but yeah...that 72 Gold Medal game was some ? !
  • dc's teflondon
    dc's teflondon Members Posts: 5,895 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    holyfield got robbed big time
  • G Mack
    G Mack Members Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Come on dog, Roy no question. It was clear they were punishing him for his showboating. He completely dominated and outclassed his opponent. Floyd won, but his opponent at least gave him a fight, especially when you consider Olympic rules.

^word....the Korean dude even went out his way to apologize to roy
    like i said before Olympic boxing is a huge joke especially the atrocious points system
    just a tool to get your name out there

• Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jones. and its not even close. that dude gave mayweather a decent fight. roy just beat the ? outta dude.
  • chi-guy
    chi-guy Members Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    RJJ clearly. The ripple effect of that bad decision is still being felt in Olympic boxing to this day
  • Cigarello Slim
    Cigarello Slim Members Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @dc'steflondon

I came here to say that as well, they did Holyfield ? .
  • bull6599
    Options
    Well maybe I should've said worse instead of bigger. Roy completely dominated dude, but getting robbed in ur own country gotta make ur soul burn slow. I forgot about Holyfield too. Them foreign ? don't like us LOL.
  • Louis Cipher
    Louis Cipher Members Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    bull6599 wrote: »
    Well maybe I should've said worse instead of bigger. Roy completely dominated dude, but getting robbed in ur own country gotta make ur soul burn slow. I forgot about Holyfield too. Them foreign ? don't like us LOL.

what he think was gonna happen? he over in south korea acting the fool?
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

The bold ain't true. Yeah, a lot of countries might not care for America, but they don't have any problem cheering for likable American athletes. Roy was disliked because he acted like a ? . Don't get me wrong, I liked Roy's antics when he went pro, but the Olympics is supposed to be more about friendly competition so showing your opponent up comes off as very ugly.
  • bull6599
    Options
    Well them Koreans had caught feelings in LA @ the 84 games so even if Roy had been more humble he prolly still woulda got ? . Them Koreans were determined to stick it to us.
  • bgoat
    bgoat Members Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Usain Bolt jogging the last 20 meters is showboating too, but he still got his gold.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    bgoat wrote: »
    Usain Bolt jogging the last 20 meters is showboating too, but he still got his gold.

Kinda hard to fix a sprint when the nearest competitor is still at the starting blocks.

Usain caught a little heat for that too. That said, it's clear he's just an excitable guy. His antics weren't meant to show anyone up. He just let his excitement get the better of him. Roy on the other hand did things specifically to illustrate how much he outclassed his opponents. People can get over what Usain did, but they are not going to give a pass with Roy's antics in this kinda competitive format.
  • Topps
    Topps Members Posts: 447
    Options
    That Korean had no business being in the same ring as Roy Jones. SMDH.
  • bull6599
    Options
    @Topps in the round before dude lost 2 of 3 rounds but was given the W b/c he won the 3rd by a wide margin according to the judges. At the 84 games in LA the Koreans felt that they got the short end of the stick on a few close, controversial decisions so this was there way of getting some payback. ? was just stunting b/c they were in their country LOL.
  • KNiGHTS
    KNiGHTS Members Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Roy. Even the Korean dude was embarrassed by that ? . Real G ? would've been to give Roy his medal. I couldn't in good conscience be told I beat a man after getting my ass kicked. Ugh...
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    knights wrote: »
    Roy. Even the Korean dude was embarrassed by that ? . Real G ? would've been to give Roy his medal. I couldn't in good conscience be told I beat a man after getting my ass kicked. Ugh...

Yeah, a silver you earned is much better than a gold you know you didn't deserve.
  • cobbland
    cobbland Members Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The bold ain't true. Yeah, a lot of countries might not care for America, but they don't have any problem cheering for likable American athletes. Roy was disliked because he acted like a ? . Don't get me wrong, I liked Roy's antics when he went pro, but the Olympics is supposed to be more about friendly competition so showing your opponent up comes off as very ugly.

It's been plenty of Americans showboating in the Olympics (the 92 Dream Team rubbed it in their opponents faces when they blew them away).

Roy was simply doing what Ray Leonard did in 76, as far as showmanship.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZVoG0aU5mw

The commentators mention how he showboated in his previous bouts.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    cobbland wrote: »

It's been plenty of Americans showboating in the Olympics (the 92 Dream Team rubbed it in their opponents faces when they blew them away).

Roy was simply doing what Ray Leonard did in 76, as far as showmanship.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZVoG0aU5mw

The commentators mention how he showboated in his previous bouts.

I never said Roy was the only one to do it, but you could really tell that his antics were ? people off. And you can't bring up the Dream Team. That was a completely different case. Their opponents would get crushed and then run to get autographs from the Dream Team members. It was known going into the Olympics, that their games would basically be big exhibitions moreso than real competition.
  • bull6599
    Options
    Again I don't think the showboating was so much the issue w/ Roy. Those Koreans were ? b/c their gold medal hopefuls took L's @ the 84 Games in LA. 88 they were in their country so they decided to flex. I don't think Roy being a lil more humble woulda stopped that.