Bigger Olympic Robbery?

Options
2»

Comments

• The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    bull6599 wrote: »
    Again I don't think the showboating was so much the issue w/ Roy. Those Koreans were ? b/c their gold medal hopefuls took L's @ the 84 Games in LA. 88 they were in their country so they decided to flex. I don't think Roy being a lil more humble woulda stopped that.

You're giving the hosting country too much power. It's not like all the judges were from Korea. The judges were from the IOC and were reps of different countries. Korea being salty wouldn't have affected that. However, the judges being annoyed by what they thought was bad form on Roy's part could have crept into the judges scores.
  • cobbland
    cobbland Members Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    cobbland wrote: »
    bull6599 wrote: »
    Well maybe I should've said worse instead of bigger. Roy completely dominated dude, but getting robbed in ur own country gotta make ur soul burn slow. I forgot about Holyfield too. Them foreign ? don't like us LOL.

The bold ain't true. Yeah, a lot of countries might not care for America, but they don't have any problem cheering for likable American athletes. Roy was disliked because he acted like a ? . Don't get me wrong, I liked Roy's antics when he went pro, but the Olympics is supposed to be more about friendly competition so showing your opponent up comes off as very ugly.

It's been plenty of Americans showboating in the Olympics (the 92 Dream Team rubbed it in their opponents faces when they blew them away).

Roy was simply doing what Ray Leonard did in 76, as far as showmanship.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZVoG0aU5mw

The commentators mention how he showboated in his previous bouts.

I never said Roy was the only one to do it, but you could really tell that his antics were ? people off. And you can't bring up the Dream Team. That was a completely different case. Their opponents would get crushed and then run to get autographs from the Dream Team members. It was known going into the Olympics, that their games would basically be big exhibitions moreso than real competition.

I get that.
    He was 19 and he was literally outclassing his competition.
    Hell, if I were doing that, I'd be cocky too.

• bull6599
    bull6599 Members Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Monk - I see what ur saying, but it's other ? that went down that u can't look past. Some ppl felt that the Park kid shouldnt have even been in the final b/c he could've plausibly lost all 4 of his matches leading up to the final. In the round before he fought Roy he got 3-2 decision even though he lost 2 of the 3 rounds on the scorecards. The judges gave him the W b/c he "won the 3rd by a wide margin". That ? only went down b/c he was in his home country.
  • BoldChild
    BoldChild Members Posts: 11,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Tommie Smith and John Carlos being stripped of their medals, booed, and called "immature" for throwing up the black fist.
    hmm, should make a thread on this.
    Full article:http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/olympic-protestors-stripped-of-their-medals

When they got to the podium for the medal ceremony, Smith and Carlos were wearing OPHR badges on their tracksuits. (Silver medalist Peter Norman, an Australian, wore one too.) They wore no shoes, to symbolize the poverty that plagued so many black Americans. Carlos wore a necklace of black beads, he said, "for those individuals that were lynched or killed that no one said a prayer for, that were hung tarred. It was for those thrown off the side of the boats in the middle passage." Smith wore a black scarf. Both bowed their heads, raised their gloved hands and remained silent while "The Star-Spangled Banner" played.

People in the crowd booed and cursed at the athletes. The IOC convened the next day and determined that Smith and Carlos would have to forfeit their medals and leave the Olympic Village—and Mexico—immediately. Brundage even threatened to boot the entire American team as punishment. "The untypical exhibitionism of these athletes violates the basic standards of good manners and sportsmanship, which are so highly valued in the United States," the U.S. Olympic Committee said "Such immature behavior is an isolated incident" and "a willful disregard of Olympic principles."
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2012
    Options
    BoldChild wrote: »
    Tommie Smith and John Carlos being stripped of their medals, booed, and called "immature" for throwing up the black fist.
    hmm, should make a thread on this.
    Full article:http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/olympic-protestors-stripped-of-their-medals

When they got to the podium for the medal ceremony, Smith and Carlos were wearing OPHR badges on their tracksuits. (Silver medalist Peter Norman, an Australian, wore one too.) They wore no shoes, to symbolize the poverty that plagued so many black Americans. Carlos wore a necklace of black beads, he said, "for those individuals that were lynched or killed that no one said a prayer for, that were hung tarred. It was for those thrown off the side of the boats in the middle passage." Smith wore a black scarf. Both bowed their heads, raised their gloved hands and remained silent while "The Star-Spangled Banner" played.

People in the crowd booed and cursed at the athletes. The IOC convened the next day and determined that Smith and Carlos would have to forfeit their medals and leave the Olympic Village—and Mexico—immediately. Brundage even threatened to boot the entire American team as punishment. "The untypical exhibitionism of these athletes violates the basic standards of good manners and sportsmanship, which are so highly valued in the United States," the U.S. Olympic Committee said "Such immature behavior is an isolated incident" and "a willful disregard of Olympic principles."

Hasn't the IOC apologized for that or something? I seem to remember them trying to switch their stance on what happened.

I think you did miss the most important part of the article:
    Even after the athletes had been disciplined, the backlash continued. Newspapers compared the men to Nazis—Brett Musburger, a sportscaster for ABC, called them "black-skinned storm troopers." Time called their act "nasty" and "ugly." His "un-American activities" got Smith discharged from the Army, and someone threw a rock through a plate-glass window at his baby’s crib. The two men received death threats for years.

In some quarters, at least, public opinion has recently begun to shift, and many people now celebrate the sprinters’ courageous and principled act. In 2005, San José State University unveiled a 20-foot-tall statue honoring the two men.

Come on really? So throwing up your fist in protest means you deserve to be compared to people who slaughtered millions? That's just crazy.