"content'' the most overrated thing in hiphop and the biggest excuse to hate

Options

Comments

• just.might.b.ok
    just.might.b.ok Members Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i can see how people that shoves g unit ? up their ass might not like "content" in music tho.
  • t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088
    t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088 Members Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    you made this thread cause clearly the next Jay Z album is gonna be about the same thing the last one was?

this......
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ibex wrote: »
    "Truthfully I wanna rhyme like Common Sense (But I did five Mil) I ain't been rhyming like Common since"~~~Moment of Clarity- Jay-Z

That line clearly went over your head, he is speaking in term of complexity and not having to dumb down on his wordplay/double entandres. Not so call kicking knowledge.
  • usmarin3
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Garv* wrote: »
    Of course content matters, only a tap dancing white pancake ass loving Jayz camelite would disagaree.[/quote}

yet you worship Malcom X and Bob Marley, two ? who chased white ? all day. Sit your pretentious ass down, ? ass incense burning ? ? me with your so call black righteousness talk, probably at home eating a Baconator right now as we speak.
  • usmarin3
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Well if you have such a big problem with it, why did you headline your topic with it?

Its not about content, its about SUBSTANCE. Any artist with a mixtape/s or an album/s has content. Thats what finished songs are, content. That word has nothing to do with what the song is about.

And yes, SUBSTANCE is important, because music is and has always been used for communication and education. Why all of a sudden its cool to have a form a music that talks about absolutely nothing. Literally just pays underprivileged ? to talk ? .

You gotta have a message or you dont got ?

WHY IS IT SO HARD FOR PEOPLE TO UNDERSTAND THE TERM CONTENT AND SUBSTANCE ARE RELATIVE.

Is it really that hard, to see it's just an excuse ya'll use to act as if ya'll have superior taste in music. Snobbish much?
  • evoljeanyes
    evoljeanyes Members Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is a jay-z thread!? Y'all stay talking about the g.o.a.t, carry-on!
  • Gen. Stasia
    Gen. Stasia Members Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Content and Substance is what separates the "Buzz" rappers and GOATS. And ppl only listen to music casually? Let a ? break up wisoulis chick all ur gonna hear is slow jams. Why Rap can be the only musical genre not to touch the soul? And if this is the case might as well pack up this ? and start from scratch....
  • Gen. Stasia
    Gen. Stasia Members Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    With his chick*
  • SupremeXXV
    SupremeXXV Members Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Why can't fans just appreciate Nas and Jay-Z for the contributions to the game? Both of 'em are legends, both of 'em have classics, and if you have ever said either of the two were/are wack, then you're a ? ' fool.
  • usmarin3
    Options
    Content and Substance is what separates the "Buzz" rappers and GOATS. And ppl only listen to music casually? Let a ? break up wisoulis chick all ur gonna hear is slow jams. Why Rap can be the only musical genre not to touch the soul? And if this is the case might as well pack up this ? and start from scratch....

So tell me what content rappers like TOO SHORT have, and most people consider him one of the goats? According to ya'll if a ? ain't on some Chuck D type ? , he ain't no legend. There are lots of great rappers like Short who don't rely on "substance'' and ''content'' whose legacy still hold up.
  • El Payaso
    El Payaso Members Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What the ? is going on in this thread?
  • El Payaso
    El Payaso Members Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Tony Yayo just put out a new mixtape and this is all you can think to talk about?
    We gotta do better.
  • Wild Self
    Wild Self Members Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    ? matters a lot to be honest. As the African gentleman pointed out...nobody wants to hear a one dimensional artist.

What's the point of being an "artist" if every picture is the same? Lack of creativity permeates hip-hop currently.

People used to rap about all kinds of stuff, not just social and political but emotional, philosophy, religion etc and they mixed it in with their gangster, thug, battle raps.

Cats took risks and made concept albums not for the club or for the money but because they wanted to be creative and try something else.

With limited content and style you bore listeners and it ultimately makes you easy to replace.

DMX said it best "there's more to a song than jewelry and clothes, more to a ? 's life than money and hoes" its that simple. What makes an artist timeless is to have music for every occasion, not just one.

How foolish does Fabolous sound rapping about throwback jerseys in 2003? Considering that in 2012 nobody wears throwback jerseys? His song is now lost in time.

Nobody listens to "in my white T" anymore do they?

Sure it made a temporary impact but life moves on and if you can't move with it then you are lost.

How can anyone argue with this?
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    JDSTAYWITIT Members Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    content is merely one aspect ....one slice of the pie ...when it comes to creating great MUSIC....... the content an artist speaks upon needs to be seamlessly meshed into the instrumentation ...this aint poetry where the orators words alone embody the the entire integrity of the final product .... "quality content" SHOULD be subjective...however in hiphop .... the term has been hijacked and used as a synonym for "socioeconomic" lyricism ..... its silly .... if a rapper says a line about lets say a ? joke .... and i laugh at it ...then that line has just educed momentary joy ...happiness ...two very strong emotions ...which imo "quality content" should be able to do .....

im not going to sit a listen to music for educational lectures all the time ...thats ridiculous music is in place to sonically conjure up many different emotions .... pain,joy,humor,anger,love ...etc etc .... MJ's Thriller is regarded as one of the best modern musical recordings of all time .....anybody wanna tell me the deeper thought provoking content in that track? .... furthermore if a rapper or any artist for that matter could only do songs that had so called "quality content" yet lacked in every other element of music making (song structure, instrumentation,emotion,melody) etc etc ...... then guess what? that artist is just as one dimensional as the ones people ? and moan about all the time for laking said "quality content" .....so stall me out with the nonsense bruhs....
  • Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    ? matters a lot to be honest. As the African gentleman pointed out...nobody wants to hear a one dimensional artist.

What's the point of being an "artist" if every picture is the same? Lack of creativity permeates hip-hop currently.

People used to rap about all kinds of stuff, not just social and political but emotional, philosophy, religion etc and they mixed it in with their gangster, thug, battle raps.

Cats took risks and made concept albums not for the club or for the money but because they wanted to be creative and try something else.

With limited content and style you bore listeners and it ultimately makes you easy to replace.

DMX said it best "there's more to a song than jewelry and clothes, more to a ? 's life than money and hoes" its that simple. What makes an artist timeless is to have music for every occasion, not just one.

How foolish does Fabolous sound rapping about throwback jerseys in 2003? Considering that in 2012 nobody wears throwback jerseys? His song is now lost in time.

Nobody listens to "in my white T" anymore do they?

Sure it made a temporary impact but life moves on and if you can't move with it then you are lost.

This post should've ended this meaningless conversation but somehow usmarin3 got his feelings string tugged on..what inspired this thread?
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    surprised to see t/s make a thread like this
  • Garv*
    Garv* Members Posts: 474 ✭✭✭
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »

So tell me what content rappers like TOO SHORT have, and most people consider him one of the goats? According to ya'll if a ? ain't on some Chuck D type ? , he ain't no legend. There are lots of great rappers like Short who don't rely on "substance'' and ''content'' whose legacy still hold up.

When is Too Short ever mentioned alongside the greats?
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    JDSTAYWITIT Members Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ibex wrote: »
    "Truthfully I wanna rhyme like Common Sense (But I did five Mil) I ain't been rhyming like Common since"~~~Moment of Clarity- Jay-Z

? really dont get this line huh?
  • Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »

Yeah..Too Short inspired Jay's player persona as well as Kane though..

• Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    co-sign the ? outta this thread, some ? wanna front and have this superiority complex because they supposedly only listen to conscious alternative hip-hop ? . Like half the highlights of this genre hasn't been gangsta subject matter. Get that arrogant smart-dumb ? ? outta here.
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Lab Baby wrote: »
    Sure you got dudes like Nas and Pac

........who talked about money and ? pretty extensively actually
    Lab Baby wrote: »
    I see it like this... my favorite rapper is Redman, and he hasn't talked about much in 20+ years other than smoking weed. At the same time, Mumo X has a point... the best artists evolve over time.

I see it like: if any artist has a certain niche that they excel at, you can't hate on them for focusing their efforts on that. M.O.P is the example I always use - who the ? wants to hear Fizzy Wo & Danze make some positive "Stop the Violence" music? lol no. That'd be as corny as Chuck D tryin spit about flippin kilos.

btw who doesn't like to get laid even Common be spittin bout smashing ?
  • Bawse D.Lox
    Bawse D.Lox Members Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the music industry is about music.
    and the most important thing about music= content.
    if u look at the rap game. the rappers who have longevity, are diverse. some more than others, but they are diverse.
    Jay (96) , Nas (94), Wayne (97), Em (99), OutKast (94) ,Common (92) ,Snoop (92). ETC ETC

nobody wants to hear u talk the same ? over and over.
    u could be lyrical as ? , with dope rhyme schemes, and all that ? u cornballs love. but if u out here rapping about the same ? over and over ? is gonna get tired.

• TheRicanKing
    TheRicanKing Members Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Options
    EDIT: WRONG THREAD
  • georgia boi
    georgia boi Members Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Content is subjective, but still important. Without content, how is the listener suppose to know what the song is about?

It's all up to the listener to determine if it's dope or not. There are a lot of "stream-of-consciousness" rappers who just spit random thoughts without any theme or idea that ties it all together. To some people, that type of rapper might not be all that great or appealing. Others might find it interesting and even better than a rapper who tells stories, conceptual songs, and socially conscious songs. The same goes for rappers whose content is more focused on the club and/or materialism.
  • buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Options