Missy Elliott Says She Had "No Clue" About Aaliyah Album

Options
StillFaggyAF
StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2012 in R&B & Alternatives
The confusion surrounding the Drake-helmed Aaliyah project continues, as Missy Elliott says she doesn't know a thing about it.

A number of reports indicating that frequent Aaliyah collaborator Missy Elliott would be featured on the late singer's next album may have been overzealous.

In fact, says Elliott, she didn't even know the project was coming out.

In a tweet that has since been deleted, the rapper/producer replied to a fan's statement about the project:

Earlier this week, Jomo Hankerson, an executive at Aaliyah's Blackground Records stated that "Timbaland will definitely be involved, Missy will definitely be involved."

Hankerson added that an unreleased Missy record would be revamped and added to the project.

Drake, who is co-executive producing the project with Noah "40" Shebib, stated that he would be including "some classic people, like anybody who used to work with Aaliyah or that was essential in her career, we definitely hope to have them involved." The statement, while noncommittal, certainly suggests Missy's involvement.

There has already been significant confusion regarding the project, as Timbaland revealed that he knew nothing about the project, and that "[t]he proper way to do that would be for me, him, and Missy to be all on the record. For it to be on his record, that would not be right."

Comments

• DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    edited August 2012
    Options
    It is what it is.
  • Sweet Dick Willie
    Sweet Dick Willie Members Posts: 273
    Options
    Drake is going to have a lot of people in the industry looking at him with the Shaq face
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

How bout that?
  • P. Town
    P. Town Members Posts: 27,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Who keeps givng Drake the OK to mess with Da Basement's ? . First he sampled a recording of Static and Smokey singing on a Youtube video without any acknowledgement to Playa. Now he's co-executive producing an Aaliyah album that neither Tim nor Missy knew about?
  • texasdaking88
    texasdaking88 Members Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    She has no clue about the album and i have no interest in it..
  • A1000MILES
    A1000MILES Members, Writer Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Creepy...It'll prolly be dope if it happens though...
  • rapmastermind
    rapmastermind Members Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Drake obession with Aaliyah has gone to far. 1st Timbaland said 4 months before this song dropped that Drake should reach out to him and Missy. So what does this fool do? He does a song with Aaliyah vocals and 40's production without even a phone call to Missy or Tim. He goes through Aaliyah Uncle to get approval. Aaliyah's own brother and family didn't even know about it. All because he was so damn obessed that he wanted Aaliyah all to himself. The song is straight but I don't like the way he went about it. Aaliyah's Uncle and his son (Her cousin) are only doing this for money as Blackground Label is going through issues.

Drake is only doing it so he can be apart of Aaliyah's Legacy when she didn't even know who the hell he was. Just cause you tattooed her face on your body and her birthday doesn't now give you the right to her history and music. 40 and him didn't even capture her sound. It was basically a Drake song with Aaliyah on it. In my opinion he broke a code of ethitics by not including Tim and Missy on the 1st Aaliyah people heard in years. With all the tats and writing love letters I could honestly say if Aaliyah was alive she would might have restraining order against his ass, lol. That last part wasn't my quote, I took it from twitter and I agree, lol.
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Speaking of albums...weren't we supposed to have albums from both Timbo and Missy a couple months back?
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sounds to me Aaliyah's record label is desperate for a hit, worry about their dead artist should be worry about marketing their alive artist.
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    this sounds like some rnb ? ... and some ? ? ...
  • stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Stopitfive wrote: »
    this sounds like some rnb ? ... and some ? ? ...

Aka Drake/Aubrey's lane..
  • A1000MILES
    A1000MILES Members, Writer Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @rapmastermind Whachu talmbout?...They already dropped a song from this ? ?...
  • rapmastermind
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Also why the hell is Drake Dissing Chris Brown and cussing up a storm on an Aaliyah track? If he was a true fan as he claimed he would know aaliyah is about peace not beefing and that her songs rarely if ever have profanity in them. He had a golden chance to show his talent instead he's on the record braging about fame and dissing chris brown it's no wonder Aaliyah fans worldwide aren't happy about his performance on the song and they are screaming for Tim and Missy to be involved.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    Drake is going to have a lot of people in the industry looking at him with the Shaq face

Not if he has Timbaland and Missy involved in the album like it's planned. That was most people's initial problem with it in the first place
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    Options
  • blackrain
    Options
    Why people acting like this the 1st Drake song w/ Aaliyah's vocals on it. "Unforgettable" starts off with Aaliyah's "At Your Best" sample...
  • infamous114
    infamous114 Members, Moderators Posts: 52,202 Regulator
    edited August 2012
    Options
    A1000MILES wrote: »

Enough Said
  • Lurker6
    Lurker6 Members Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    worst part is neither of these two probly not gunna really say ? and a down the road at some release party or w/e celebrating the record missy and tim gunan be there takin pics and popin bottles sayin its all good......everyone afriad to call people out doin shady stuff cuz they dont wanna be called a hater........
  • rapmastermind
    edited August 2012
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    Why people acting like this the 1st Drake song w/ Aaliyah's vocals on it. "Unforgettable" starts off with Aaliyah's "At Your Best" sample...

Are you really comparing a sample of songs people heard to unreleased vocals that nobody heard?
    A1000MILES wrote: »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HNgVmHSuVM

For those haven't heard it, here is the song "Enough Said" which Drake used unreleased Aaliyah vocals with the approval of her label (Greedy). Aaliyah's immediate family had no idea about the track neither did Timbaland and Missy cause Drake did what he wanted to do just to he can be apart of Aaliyah legacy. I understand we've haven't heard a new Aaliyah song in a long time but maybe Timbaland and Missy didn't want to ruin her music with weak remixes like they did to Biggie and Pac. A lot of Aaliyah unreleased songs are demo and incomplete tracks. Again 40 production is decent but that's not Aaliyah's style, the beat is very plain and empty where as Aaliyah's tracks are full. Also Drake's verse was average.

• andre_1024
    andre_1024 Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Should Drake reach out to Timbo and Missy? Sure..but I don't think he HAS to..
  • blackrain
    edited August 2012
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »

This isn't a Drake song though, it's just him rambling a verse. I'm not big on the song either, I'm a huge Aaliyah fan and think 40's sound doesn't fit over Aaliyah's vocals on this song but it's not some great abomination or sign of disrespect towards Timbaland and Missy that one song has been done. It's just one song...at least wait until the album comes out to see how much input they actually have to go on an anti-Drake rant about how he ruined an album full of songs nobody has heard and aren't even done yet.
  • HustleThaDon
    HustleThaDon Members Posts: 28,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This ? is weird bro....

• jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm disturbed by all this.

Jews do whatever they like, what a sucker punch to her legacy. Its almost as asinine as Eminem exec producing a 2pac record.