Options
2»

Comments

• High Revolutionary
    High Revolutionary Members Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Options
    tabatha_ wrote: »
    No, the government should not stop subsidising college loans. What first needs to be addressed is the degrees offered, and the colleges out there. The problem is not that too many people are trying to go to college, it's that the quality of the degree and the college is subpar.

Students are leaving university (this is a worldwide problem) with debt and a degree that really isn't worth ? . The UK government is taking steps to close down very low-level universities and do away with useless degrees. This needs to be done on a worldwide scale.

On top of that, the whole "university is the only way to go" mentality needs to be changed. A lot of people go just because they feel they must.

And I don't want to see any generalised criticism thrown towards the Liberal Arts. SMH.

People need to also accept responsibility for their actions too though. If you're unsure whether your degree is valuable or not, ask around; do research. If you come to find out you're currently in a wack program, change majors. With the internet around ignorance is unacceptable.

Same thing with these fast track colleges you see advertised on TV. Let the market determine whether these colleges are viable or not. Generally any college advertised on TV ain't ? .

People's inability to hold themselves accountable is one of the main problems in the westernized world today.
  • blakfyahking
    blakfyahking Members Posts: 15,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    and the NCAA is another whole animal I don't agree with

paying a 60K tuition and then making on average a couple mil on that student from selling his likeness

the NCAA is ran by pimps LOL
  • blakfyahking
    edited August 2012
    Options

It's not contradictory. I said a discussion about the type of degrees needs to take place. I then said I don't want to see generalised criticism towards Liberal Arts. Emphasis on generalised. In that a blanket statement without thought out reasons would be redundant. So tell me, how is that contradictory?

I don't think it would be hard for anyone to realise a degree in David Beckham studies would be useless. Yes that is a real degree. There are degrees out there like the one just mentioned that can easily be done away with and no one could put up a good argument as to why we need it.

Just like there are independent bodies that rate banks and companies, something similar could be set up that values degrees. Whether judged by demand, usefulness in the world job market, best crossover into other job sectors and so forth, something like that can be done. I haven't thought about this until today so don't be facetious and ask for specifics.

As for your other point, the degree is not just for the individual though is it? People go to university with the plan on getting a job at the end of their course. In doing that, they are giving back to the economy and therefore not just benefiting themselves.

I'm with you in that college should be free and more money should be spent on teachers.

it is contradictory, because you are opening the door for mofos to try to "quantify" the value of a degree

if the point used to value a degree is the ability of it to get a person a job, then you are def inviting someone else to possibly devalue a liberal arts degree.............which I think is wrong because the liberal arts are necessary, even in business

but when you have a finite pile of money, you will have to choose between alternatives

and it's easy for a politician to discard the use of a liberal arts degree when so many people struggle to find employment with it...........and who says David Beckham studies isn't a real degree haha

obviously it was created because someone found value in it :shrugs

and the degree is for the individual especially if you talking about them getting a degree like Beckham studies............cause if the purpose of helping folks is to get them a degree, so they can get a job, so they can contribute to the economy.............well then how do we explain the record numbers of unemployed folks with college degrees now?

so if a degree doesn't even guarantee you a job, then why should others be forced to pay for it.............just give that money to the kids instead shorty
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@jono
    if corporations are searching for so much talent
    then why are there so many jobless folks with
    degrees right now when there are several
    companies sitting on record levels of cash?

Good question, its because of greed. They refuse to pay people whether they have college degrees or not. Many people were offered jobs well below their ability.
    I see on this forum that mofos like to think in
    terms of black and white, but never consider the
    gray
    being against subsidizing loans doesn't equate to
    not investing in college education SMH
    you used China as an example which is way
    different then the US...........plus ironically you
    overlook that even China has invested heavily at
    lower grades before their people get to
    college..............how many public schools in the
    US on average are teaching a second language to
    3rd graders?

I'm completely for funding public education on a basic level. Problem is politics gets more in the way of his this country does business. Why do you think ? is ? up at the collegiate level? Because its ? up before then in HS and elementary schools. When you have politicians who continuously and systematically undercut the education system for their own political benefit what do you expect but failure?

However I don't believe its a question of college vs elementary but the damn thing should be subsidized, with private options for those with wealth of course.

like I said, you still haven't refuted my
    argument.............and SMH @ you thinking
    colleges ain't selling a "good" to these
    corporations.............
    the problem is the fed govt pays for it and private companies profit from
    it......all at the expense of the student being
    shackled by debt to encourage them to work for
    the company

Underlined = A student is not a "good".
    Bolded = not exactly, the student doesn't have to work for anyone, it is of course expected that they will but the option of going into business for yourself is always open. I've heard of people going to get degrees in massage therapy that went on to open their own shops. No intention of working for others. Community colleges offer degrees in hair styling and ? like that and people go into debt getting them and then go into business for themselves.
    but you are arguing that you are ok with this? you
    looking real republican right now fam LOL

Well I wouldn't want to do that, I hate republicans.

The main problem with college isn't unnecessary degrees but unnecessary courses. That ? balloons tuition! If someone is a major in Art, why do they have to take foreign language, philosophy and geology courses? That ? doesn't help them at all. Astronomy shouldn't be required for Sociology majors and etc. Too many prerequisites, forcing students to pay by the credit hour and then forcibly increasing necessary credit hours.

College and life would be easier and cheaper if you only took classes beneficial to what you are going into.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "David Beckham studies"

what-hi.png
  • blakfyahking
    Options
    jono wrote: »

Good question, its because of greed. They refuse to pay people whether they have college degrees or not. Many people were offered jobs well below their ability.

exactly........and the greed def won't stop if we keep feeding them easy money

why would a greedy ? turn down free money from Uncle Sam? haha
    I'm completely for funding public education on a basic level. Problem is politics gets more in the way of his this country does business. Why do you think ? is ? up at the collegiate level? Because its ? up before then in HS and elementary schools. When you have politicians who continuously and systematically undercut the education system for their own political benefit what do you expect but failure?

However I don't believe its a question of college vs elementary but the damn thing should be subsidized, with private options for those with wealth of course.

exactly........which is why we should start at the bottom and work up

better public schools will create more future college students who will be better equipped to succeed and graduate quicker from college
    Underlined = A student is not a "good".
    Bolded = not exactly, the student doesn't have to work for anyone, it is of course expected that they will but the option of going into business for yourself is always open. I've heard of people going to get degrees in massage therapy that went on to open their own shops. No intention of working for others. Community colleges offer degrees in hair styling and ? like that and people go into debt getting them and then go into business for themselves.

you're right a student isn't a good...........I'm speaking in metaphorical terms to explain it using economic analogies

human resources are actually a form of capital (one of the 4 categories of economic resources) that companies need

well all that great human capital coming from these colleges should be paid for by the companies who get to utilize it to make more money

a company should have to be the one to spend the money to provide training and education for its workers

and people don't need a degree to go into business by themselves...............
    Well I wouldn't want to do that, I hate republicans.

The main problem with college isn't unnecessary degrees but unnecessary courses. That ? balloons tuition! If someone is a major in Art, why do they have to take foreign language, philosophy and geology courses? That ? doesn't help them at all. Astronomy shouldn't be required for Sociology majors and etc. Too many prerequisites, forcing students to pay by the credit hour and then forcibly increasing necessary credit hours.

College and life would be easier and cheaper if you only took classes beneficial to what you are going into.

I agree at the bolded.............that a sensible idea I can cosign

good ? ............

I'll saying it again, it's not contradictory. I said "What first needs to be addressed is the degrees offered" followed by "I don't want to see any generalised criticism thrown towards the Liberal Arts". The emphasis is on generalised. Meaning I don't want a blanket statement. If I had said I didn't want any criticism of liberal arts degrees then yes, you would have been right, but I did not. Contradictory implies two opposing thoughts, and that, I do not have. A person is entitled to level an argument at all liberal arts as far as I am concerned (I wouldn't agree, but that's not the point) but I would take issue if they used a general argument.

And I'll disagree with you regarding people finding it hard to find work with a liberal arts degree. It depends what course you chose.

Someone may have found use for it but that doesn't mean it has any real value. People create ? all the time, just watch any informercials, aside from the creator that ? might not have any real value. Same with David Beckham studies. You cannot convince me of its usefulness lol!

As for unemployment, blame the economy son. But that's another discussion lol.

I already gave you my answers to your other points. I refuse to retype them!!

in the UK it may be a little different

but in the US it's ridiculous............I know cats with Master's degrees still working minimum wage jobs since 2008

and the govt here wants to act like the recession has been over SMH

• DarcSkies
    DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hmmmm...good question.
    @jono

if corporations are searching for so much talent

then why are there so many jobless folks with degrees right now when there are several companies sitting on record levels of cash?

I see on this forum that mofos like to think in terms of black and white, but never consider the gray

being against subsidizing loans doesn't equate to not investing in college education SMH

you used China as an example which is way different then the US...........plus ironically you overlook that even China has invested heavily at lower grades before their people get to college..............how many public schools in the US on average are teaching a second language to 3rd graders?

like I said, you still haven't refuted my argument.............and SMH @ you thinking colleges ain't selling a "good" to these corporations.............the problem is the fed govt pays for it and private companies profit from it......all at the expense of the student being shackled by debt to encourage them to work for the company

but you are arguing that you are ok with this? you looking real republican right now fam LOL
    They want to get riid of the ? first and to do that they need unemployment up and a weak economy. They are already rich why do they need to hire people? They're ? about tax breaks, etc. Those rich businessmen are pulling strings im sure. And not in the worker's favor.

Secondly, many people have degrees but not technical ones. The job market is actually pretty good for those with degrees in science and stuff dealing in Clean Energy. Just that not too many people have that expertise.

But u still ask a good question.

• blakfyahking
    Options
    Interesting article in the WSJ talking about the value of a college degree

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324442304578231922159602676.html

SMH @ mofos still not willing to acknowledge that tuition is inflated because of govt subsidies
  • irad4185
    irad4185 Members Posts: 105 ✭✭
    Options
    stop subsidizing the cost of college?

Are tuition rates only increasing because of the availability of govt assistance?

Will the job market become more reasonable if everyone can't afford college?

-Yes. Government assistance caused the current trend of more people wanting to obtain a degree. Without the loans available the demand should decrease. Most large state school's tuition have been increasing because they only receive like 20% of their funding from the state and according to that article^^^ it looks like the system is fixing it self. I think the best solution is to insure that funds are available primarily for state operated secondary education which is the way things seem to be going.

-The job market will just have less college educated people and will hurt the minimum wage. You can't have your cake and eat it too.