A Question For Those That Call Themselves "Patriots"

Options
jono
jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2012 in The Social Lounge
Simple question: Is America worth fighting for?
Why or Why Not?

Comments

• heyslick
    heyslick Members Posts: 1,179
    Options
    Personal freedom is something most people are willing to die for -- Btw how can anyone be in pursuit of happiness if they aren't truly free - MY FREEDOM is worth fighting for regardless of where I live - i was born free and I'll die for it & many others have done so in the past (aka) home of the brave. WHAT A STUPID ? QUESTION!
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    of course it is... despite our issues, few places offer the freedom and opportunity we take for granted...
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We are the most spoiled and rotten people in the face of the earth and yes freedom is worth dying for and our sacrifices for this GREAT NATION should be a requirement. We have the best lives and the best way to obtain the self actualization when you aren't even free in non-european countries like brazil, china, korea, the congo, etc.
  • heyslick
    Options
    Ajackson17 wrote: »
    We are the most spoiled and rotten people in the face of the earth and yes freedom is worth dying for and our sacrifices for this GREAT NATION should be a requirement. We have the best lives and the best way to obtain the self actualization when you aren't even free in non-european countries like brazil, china, korea, the congo, etc.

South Korea has freedom - IMO any country that keeps there people illiterate are not concerned with freedom...period. Just look at the literacy rates of countries that are constantly in turmoil & look at how long there so-called leaders have been power.

• jono
    Options
    America is slowly becoming a mostly illiterate nation because nobody believes in full education rights.
  • heyslick
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    America is slowly becoming a mostly illiterate nation because nobody believes in full education rights.

Not really compared to others (in the middle east & other areas), HOWEVER illegals certainly do make those numbers move in the wrong direction - IE unable to fully understand the English language & working primarily in the service industry. You can't teach illiterate people in just one or two generations Sure would be nice to have new imgrants that could at least read.

• jono
    Options
    Illegals have little to do with it. There are people who graduated high school and are functionally illiterate....right here in the US.
  • i fit
    i fit Members Posts: 920
    Options
    You have colleges complaining that the this new crop of kids just aren't prepared. Under Republican leadership we usually lower the standards of education. Sadly some people believe that's a positive.
  • heyslick
    Options
    i fit wrote: »
    You have colleges complaining that the this new crop of kids just aren't prepared. Under Republican leadership we usually lower the standards of education. Sadly some people believe that's a positive.

IMO

It doesn't really matter which party is involved - The trend in America has changed so drastically to accommodate those who can't meet basic standards - just lower the standards and the hell with the truly qualified individuals - WOW!

• unspoken_respect
    unspoken_respect Members Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I wouldn't call myself a patriot but I think it is worth fighting for when necessary. WHEN NECESSARY. The people running America are who ? it up and give us a bad rep. At the same time there are many racist and ignorant people that are brain washed in America who I don't give a ? about. The country is worth fighting for, some of the people aren't worth ? .
  • heyslick
    Options
    I wouldn't call myself a patriot but I think it is worth fighting for when necessary. WHEN NECESSARY. The people running America are who ? it up and give us a bad rep. At the same time there are many racist and ignorant people that are brain washed in America who I don't give a ? about. The country is worth fighting for, some of the people aren't worth ? .

YEAH! & the irony is they have every right to be worthless & teach/influence others to be likewise.

• jono
    Options

I wouldn't call myself a patriot but I think it is worth
    fighting for when necessary. WHEN NECESSARY.
    The people running America are who ? it up
    and give us a bad rep.
    At the same time there are
    many racist and ignorant people that are brain
    washed in America who I don't give a ? about.
    The country is worth fighting for, some of the
    people aren't worth ? .

Totally agree with the underlined. The bolded opens a new discussion, What is this country if not the people in it?
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    To me as long as you can read the bible, you good to go.
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I hate ? like Teddy Bruschi who call themselves "Patriots" man ? them, they ain't even in the league no more.
  • NeighborhoodNomad.
    NeighborhoodNomad. Members Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Human Rights should be fought for, for mankind as a whole. But no "country" on this planet should be fought for because at the end of the day we are just fighting for the agendas of the policy makers of that country.

What makes one human beings rights and liberties any less worthy because they came out of the ? in a "foreign" region?
  • jono
    Options
    Very good I certainly Co-Sign @NeighborhoodNomad

Without human rights what is the point? Fighting for politicians, broken promises and random symbols should not be what human life is reduced to.
  • jose324
    jose324 Members Posts: 65
    Options
    Freedom is always worth fighting for but...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEyUWKJFER8
    It's hard to defend the u.s.
  • down2earth
    down2earth Members Posts: 953 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Human Rights should be fought for, for mankind as a whole. But no "country" on this planet should be fought for because at the end of the day we are just fighting for the agendas of the policy makers of that country.

What makes one human beings rights and liberties any less worthy because they came out of the ? in a "foreign" region?

pretty much this
  • heyslick
    Options
    I can't understand why our country bothers to help other countries when said countries won't help themselves - what kind of people allows others to rule them for decades upon decades? w/o true freedom - What kind of country constantly allows the tribal mentality to prevail for literally centuries upon centuries & they continue to fight amongst one another - then they point fingers at us as the bad people for just wanting them to get along - keeping people ILLITERATE is what keeps them in power & America gets caught in the middle of that perpetual conflict - I wish our country would just stay the hell out of those countries and let them fight it out on there own terms
  • Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Options
    heyslick wrote: »
    I can't understand why our country bothers to help other countries when said countries won't help themselves - what kind of people allows others to rule them for decades upon decades? w/o true freedom - What kind of country constantly allows the tribal mentality to prevail for literally centuries upon centuries & they continue to fight amongst one another - then they point fingers at us as the bad people for just wanting them to get along - keeping people ILLITERATE is what keeps them in power & America gets caught in the middle of that perpetual conflict - I wish our country would just stay the hell out of those countries and let them fight it out on there own terms

but it's much much more complicated than that bruh

I agree, and I think that what you said is true, however

1. Not all cultures and nations believe and advocate this ideology, so even though any non-American is as worthy as any American, it may not be desirable or even possible to fight for a non-American(s) who doesn't believe in liberty (in the "American" sense). Who are we to force liberty on them, right?

2. Even though what you said is true and just, and even though a lot of Americans would agree with what you said, I doubt most people would actually enforce this line of thought because it may involve sacrifice and the respect/love for others who are not only "different" but also may be anti-American.

This is all pretty interesting to me because I'm watching through the 24 seasons, and in a recent episode, the American president was faced with what we're talking about now. The president was forced to choose between saving the lives of innocent non-Americans in a different country and saving the lives of innocent Americans in America. That kind of dilemma makes you think. I was going to make a thread on that, but it fits here well so meh. Anyways, according to you, the fact that the president is American shouldn't matter, and I agree. But that would never happen in the real world. People are selfish and nationalistic. Those non-Americans would've been sacrificed in favor of the Americans ten times out of ten. American presidents are even made to swear to protect Americans (not non-Americans).

Even though I agree with you, I'm a non-interventionalist. America shouldn't play superhero to the world. At best, for the sake of liberty, they should help others help themselves and get the hell out.
  • heyslick
    Options
    Plutarch wrote: »

1. Not all cultures and nations believe and advocate this ideology, so even though any non-American is as worthy as any American, it may not be desirable or even possible to fight for a non-American(s) who doesn't believe in liberty (in the "American" sense). Who are we to force liberty on them, right?

2. Even though what you said is true and just, and even though a lot of Americans would agree with what you said, I doubt most people would actually enforce this line of thought because it may involve sacrifice and the respect/love for others who are not only "different" but also may be anti-American.

This is all pretty interesting to me because I'm watching through the 24 seasons, and in a recent episode, the American president was faced with what we're talking about now. The president was forced to choose between saving the lives of innocent non-Americans in a different country and saving the lives of innocent Americans in America. That kind of dilemma makes you think. I was going to make a thread on that, but it fits here well so meh. Anyways, according to you, the fact that the president is American shouldn't matter, and I agree. But that would never happen in the real world. People are selfish and nationalistic. Those non-Americans would've been sacrificed in favor of the Americans ten times out of ten. American presidents are even made to swear to protect Americans (not non-Americans).

Even though I agree with you, I'm a non-interventionalist. America shouldn't play superhero to the world. At best, for the sake of liberty, they should help others help themselves and get the hell out.

I just can't comprehend the logic of our foreign policies any longer - we spend literally billions upon billions of dollars & we never get any results from said countries - they continue to fight endlessly & the tribal mentality just goes on and on and on - one faction fighting another faction - tribal elders fighting with another tribes elders & all the illiterates getting caught in the middle of all the conflict - along with ALL of the underlying propaganda IE any intervention by America is done for one reason only - for the Oil - I still contend we cannot make people get along....the Middle East will implode on there own - & there nothing America can do about it & whenever we try in help we get nothing in return for it...period. Maybe one day we'll have a President who finally says enough of this reliance on foreign oil???

• redhandedbandit
    redhandedbandit Members Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭
    Options

I just can't comprehend the logic of our foreign policies any longer - we spend literally billions upon billions of dollars & we never get any results from said countries - they continue to fight endlessly & the tribal mentality just goes on and on and on - one faction fighting another faction - tribal elders fighting with another tribes elders & all the illiterates getting caught in the middle of all the conflict - along with ALL of the underlying propaganda IE any intervention by America is done for one reason only - for the Oil - I still contend we cannot make people get along....the Middle East will implode on there own - & there nothing America can do about it & whenever we try in help we get nothing in return for it...period. Maybe one day we'll have a President who finally says enough of this reliance on foreign oil???

you do know oil is a finite resource
  • heyslick
    Options

Oh really?? - this country has many sources of energy & once we get some strong leadership in America? MAYBE things will change for the better? I doubt it - were doomed. If those who feel I'm posting all this stuff to just make myself look racist/stupid SO WHAT - it doesn't matter to me - cause you think that way any way - so what. I'm still waiting on that random black man to get all up in my face about ME not liking this President because of his agenda for America - most black people I see in the course of my day are to busy working and taking care of their families & most want the same things I want - you hip hop types are the problem.

• G.Avant
    G.Avant Members, Writer Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Oh really?? - this country has many sources of energy & once we get some strong leadership in America? MAYBE things will change for the better? I doubt it - were doomed. If those who feel I'm posting all this stuff to just make myself look racist/stupid SO WHAT - it doesn't matter to me - cause you think that way any way - so what. I'm still waiting on that random black man to get all up in my face about ME not liking this President because of his agenda for America - most black people I see in the course of my day are to busy working and taking care of their families & most want the same things I want - you hip hop types are the problem.

What the hell is a hip hop type? lmao
  • Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    yeah lol. what is a hip hop type? It's not a good look to claim that you're not a racist (I honestly don't believe that you are btw) and then make sweeping assumptions based on stereotypes in the same damn paragraph.