DIRECTOR TONY SCOTT Commits Suicide Jumps Off L.A. Bridge

Young_Chitlin
Young_Chitlin Members Posts: 23,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2012 in Lights, Camera, Action!
Famed director Tony Scott jumped to his death today off an L.A. bridge -- this according to the L.A. County Coroner.

According to the Coroner, 68-year-old Scott -- Ridley Scott's brother -- jumped from the Vincent Thomas Bridge spanning San Pedro and Terminal Island around 12:30pm.

U.S. Coast Guard Lt. Jennifer Osburn said a suicide note was found in Scott's Toyota Prius, which was parked on one of the eastbound lanes of the bridge.

Scott was a Hollywood legend -- directing "Top Gun," "Beverly Hills Cop II," "Enemy of the State," and "The Taking of Pelham 123."

Authorities used sonar equipment to find Scott's body in the port's murky waters. His body was recovered at approximately 4:30pm ... four hours after he jumped.

His body has since been turned over to the L.A. County Coroner.

Comments

• r.prince18
    r.prince18 Members Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    damn did we post this at the same time
  • Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow....dude directed some good ass movies. That's ? up.

Condolences to his family.
  • Dr.Chemix
    Dr.Chemix Members Posts: 11,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    woooow......& ridley scott is in the middle of shooting a movie right now.....& they got a production company too....damn. wow.
  • S.jR.
    S.jR. Members Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damn shame any time I see this in the opening, I know its going to be quality.

681_scottfree_thumb_260x195.jpg
  • allied
    allied Members Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭
    Wow, Hollywood must really be getting to people. Wow.
  • Stomp Johnson
    Stomp Johnson Members, Writer Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • rapmastermind
    rapmastermind Members Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Terrible news. Tony Scott is one of the best action directors of all time. He never got his proper credit cause he was always in the shadow of his Legendary Brother, but guess what. He's a Legend too. "Top Gun" is a Classic. He killed it on "Beverly Hills Cop II". "Days of Thunder" was unbelieveable. "True Romance" was a cult Classic. And Denzel and him had an unbelieveable chemistry. "Crimston Tide" and "Man on Fire" were both amazing films with great acting. "Deja Vu" was also pretty good. "P, 1,2,3 and Unstoppable" weren't perfect but they were still good. This is tragic, I can't believe we lost such a brilliant filmmaker. Again everyone has problems and it doesn't matter if you rich or poor. Sadly Tony felt it wasn't worth it anymore. But as sad as this is, I'm glad people are going to finally look back and give him his proper props as being an amazing director. His style and action is some of the best in film history.

106551792005007--525x415.jpg
  • rapmastermind
    rapmastermind Members Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Scott work with: Tom Curise, Denzel Washington, Eddie Murphy, Will Smith. Brad Pitt, Tony Soprano just to name a few. A lot of them were in the prime too. I knew he was amazing at a young age but it was "Crimson Tide" that pushed it over for me. The acting in that film was Oscar Worthy, no joke. Such an amazing Cast also, everyone should check it out if they haven't:

220px-Crimson_tide_movie_poster.jpg

Enemy of the State was hard body too, Will don't get his proper credit for that film:

220px-Enemy_of_the_State.jpg

Of course Tony brought something out of Gene Hackman, his performances in both were amazing.
  • rage
    rage Members Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enemy of the state went in....Top Gun is a CLASSIC...we lost a good one today.
  • nawledge_god
    nawledge_god Members Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tony Was One Them Rare Directors That That Blended Artistry With Big Budgeted Mainstream ? ...Dude Is/Was Underappreciated/Underrated ....He Will Be Sorely Missed...RIP
  • texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i think his best film was.man on fire but damn man owning a prius must have made that ? commit that
  • Young_Chitlin
    'Top Gun' Director Tony Scott Had Inoperable Brain Cancer

By ANTHONY CASTELLANO and LUCHINA FISHER (
    Aug. 20, 2012

Tony Scott, director of "Top Gun," "Days of Thunder" and "Crimson Tide," had inoperable brain cancer, a source close to him told ABC News.

The famed director died Sunday after jumping from a bridge in Los Angeles, authorities said.

Police said they received a 911 call at about 12:30 p.m. that an individual had jumped off the Vincent Thomas Bridge. The body was recovered around 3 p.m., when it was identified by authorities as Scott, according to Lt. Joseph Bale of the Los Angeles County Coroner's Office. An autopsy is scheduled to be performed today.

The Coroner's Office found several notes to loved ones in Scott's car, a spokesman told The Associated Press. A suicide note was later found at his office, according to the AP.

"I can confirm that Tony Scott has passed away. The family asks that their privacy is respected at this time," Scott's spokesman, Simon Halls, said in a statement, according to the AP.

Scott, 68, was perhaps best known for directing "Top Gun," starring Tom Cruise in 1986, which went on to gross more than $300 million worldwide, according to IMDB.com. The duo worked again in the 1990 film "Days of Thunder."

The British-born director also frequently worked with Denzel Washington, most recently in the 2010 film "Unstoppable." They collaborated on four other films: "Crimson Tide," "Man on Fire," "Deja Vu" and "The Taking of Pelham 123."

Scott was the younger brother of producer and director Ridley Scott. Together, the brothers formed their own production company, Scott Free Productions. Their company produced the CBS dramas "NUMB3RS" and "The Good Wife."The 2012 blockbuster "Prometheus" was the latest film released by their production company.

Other Tony Scott films include "True Romance," written by Quentin Tarantino, "The Fan," with Robert De Niro, and "Enemy of the State," starring Will Smith.

In a tweet Sunday, director Ron Howard said, "No more Tony Scott movies. Tragic day."

"Most of the obits for Tony Scott will mention "Top Gun" first, but my favorite will always be "True Romance." RIP," tweeted film critic Richard Roeper.

Scott was survived by his wife, Donna, and their twin sons.
  • dontdiedontkillanyon
    dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    600full-true-romance-photo.jpg

Sad news indeed. Shame it wasn't Michael Bay.

R.I.P.
  • ocelot
    ocelot Members Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i think he did man on fire and safehouse
  • Mally_G
    Mally_G Members Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    ocelot wrote: »

Phyllis Diller.....dead at 95. That's your 3rd, who was the first.......85's football career?
  • ocelot
    ocelot Members Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mally_G wrote: »
    ocelot wrote: »

Phyllis Diller.....dead at 95. That's your 3rd, who was the first.......85's football career?

I was going to say Joey(Vegeta) from the Real World... but the way Chad is dying while breathing is really saying something...smh
  • real_hh_rep
    real_hh_rep Members Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭
    That's a tragic news, but I hated his last movies to be honest.
  • dpresidential
    dpresidential Members Posts: 609 ✭✭✭
    "Give me fame and the riches, I'll be happy for life."

^ We've seen time and time again people believing this... Yet some many rich tragedies.

*Broke ass post*
  • KINGEC
    KINGEC Members Posts: 7,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damn. Sad ? .

RIP
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Crazy underrated. He always got ? on and treated like some lesser Mike Bay just cuz his big brother made Alien & Bladerunner. Unstoppable, Man on Fire, Enemy of the State, True Romance, The Last Boy Scout, Top Gun, are all classics full stop. Days of Thunder is underrated and the best film NASCAR will ever get. Pelham 123 remake, Deja Vu, Spy Game, Beverly Hills Cop II, The Fan, are all good films. Even his worst films weren't really that bad....how many Directors can say that?

Tony Scott during the 90s >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Ridley Scott during the 90s

RIP

I really hope that crazy brain cancer rumor was true. Suicide is alot more rational in that scenario IMHO.

Tom Cruise is goin thru it right now for real, he was working with dude on Top Gun 2 just 48 hours before it happened dayum

article-2190834-149F8671000005DC-653_634x470.jpg

you can imagine Denzel hurtin too

article-2190834-14A02226000005DC-96_634x423.jpg

Tarantino wrote the script for True Romance and was a BIG fan/defender of Tony Scott's style

article-2190834-149E711B000005DC-172_634x445.jpg
  • CallMeWelvin
    CallMeWelvin Members Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I heard he was doing his own stunts but damn.
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Food for thought:

"Survivors often regret their decision in midair, if not before."

“I instantly realized that everything in my life that I’d thought was unfixable was totally fixable—except for having just jumped.

ouch

http://www.newyorker.com/archive/2003/10/13/031013fa_fact?currentPage=all
  • Young_Chitlin
    No Motive Found in Tony Scott’s Suicide Note

By:Neetzan Zimmerman

A spokesman for the Los Angeles County coroner's office said this morning that filmmaker Tony Scott's suicide note does not reveal his motive for killing himself.

Scott reportedly jumped to his death from the Vincent Thomas Bridge in Los Angeles this past Sunday.

Initial reports that he had inoperable brain cancer were later debunked by family members. There was no mention of any health issues in his note, according to coroner's office spokesman Ed Winter.

A TMZ insider said the note was a "short and sweet" farewell letter to his wife and two kids.

The coroner's office spox said a toxicology report was still pending, but police may never learn the true motive behind Scott's suicide.