Romney pandering to Birthers now, hanh?

Options
Swiffness!
Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2012 in The Social Lounge
http://youtu.be/IyY7N0j-9g4

It's a simple story. Romney made a joke that relies on a debunked conspiracy theory about the president -- a theory especially popular with people who don't like blacks and foreigners. Romney's crowd cheered. He probably opened up a pre-convention worm-can that he didn't mean to open. This, I think, is why we're already seeing the comment spun away.
http://www.slate.com/blogs/weigel/2012/08/24/four_laughable_explanations_for_mitt_romney_s_birther_joke.html

Maybe this will get chalked up to Romney’s awkwardness and get dismissed, but it looks to me like a major mistake. Coming just after days spent debating Todd Akin’s “legitimate ? ” remark, this is again a reminder of the extreme voices in the GOP, which Romney has at times been slow to denounce. And it seems less than presidential, to put it mildly. The fact that uncomfortably large numbers still believe Obama has perpetrated an elaborate plot to fake his birthplace and ascend to the presidency illegitimately is a pretty damn big deal.

It will be easy for the Obama campaign to seize on this to raise questions about Romney’s judgment, temperament, and character. Wow.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/post/mitt-romneys-birther-joke/2012/08/24/8edd2574-ee0a-11e1-afd8-097e90f99d05_blog.html

"Thanks Mitt for once again taking your own campaign off message!" - DailyKos

stupid muthafucka......

obamayeaaaah.gif

Comments

• FucktheIC
    FucktheIC Members Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I've been saying for months that Obama's best strategy is to play full court press on this ? , stack 8 in the box, and crowd the plate. He'll find a way to ? up on his own.
  • t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088
    t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088 Members Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    FucktheIC wrote: »
    I've been saying for months that Obama's best strategy is to play full court press on this ? , stack 8 in the box, and crowd the plate. He'll find a way to ? up on his own.

Same ? I've been saying. I really feel like if Romney just shut the ? up he'd win easily, but even the obama haters can't deny how stupid half the ? is that comes out his mouth....
  • heyslick
    heyslick Members Posts: 1,179
    Options
    Those guilt ridden white people will NEVER know what hit them, ONCE his real agenda comes home to roost - as the old saying goes - the link belows says it all - even tho President Obama fails to talk about it - huh? TRANSFORM AMERICA!!

http://www.forbes.com/sites/realspin/2012/08/13/how-obama-is-robbing-the-suburbs-to-pay-for-the-cities/
  • FucktheIC
    FucktheIC Members Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Options
    heyslick wrote: »
    Those guilt ridden white people will NEVER know what hit them, ONCE his real agenda comes home to roost - as the old saying goes - the link belows says it all - even tho President Obama fails to talk about it - huh? TRANSFORM AMERICA!!

http://www.forbes.com/sites/realspin/2012/08/13/how-obama-is-robbing-the-suburbs-to-pay-for-the-cities/

But smartgrowth isn't new. And it's about time a president made it a priority.

Also, you can't deny that our system doesn't work. Having school funding tied to property taxes means the kids who need the most resources get the least and the kids who need them the least get the most.

I agree with Obama on the problem, but not the solution.

But I see absolutely nothing wrong with smart growth policies, and sprawl is a problem. No reason why development should outpace population growth.

wealth redistribution, I don't agree with. But, I live in MD and O'Malley is doing that anyways.
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    this ? shooting himself in the foot with all his talks
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    honestly, this seems like the result of Romney trying to "loosen up" and "be more human" and it resulting in a stupid joke, the greatest sin of which was to have the joke not be funny. that said, could i see, say, John McCain making a joke like this during an election, especially one in which we've had a bunch of heated rhetoric from borderline-to-full-on lunatics who insist Barack HUSSEIN Obama wasn't born in ? 's America? nope.

i really need to schedule surgery or something for election day so i have a sincere excuse for not bothering with this ? of a 2012 election
    FucktheIC wrote: »
    wealth redistribution, I don't agree with. But, I live in MD and O'Malley is doing that anyways.
    Maryland politics and/or finances are pretty much just ? up, period. but this is what happens when one party essentially has no fear of losing power
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Romney pandered to his base, which always likes a good birther joke. It was funny in a stupid way, but than again, most Tea Party voters are kind of stupid.
  • heyslick
    Options
    Fyi - the government is gonna try-in control the suburbs next - Obama's real agenda is within this article - wow! So now those who want no part of big cities are gonna be forced to have others living next to them - WOW! BIG GOVERNMENT is coming after small communities throughout America - YEAH 'I love my Country' but FEAR the government.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/administration/eop/oua/initiatives/working-groups
  • wmj710
    wmj710 Members Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't understand why he would cater to them thoug they allready support Romney because they hate Obama, he need to win over the Obama supporters this just going to alienate them
  • heyslick
    Options
    Here's some facts for folks to ponder about

Just the facts Obama

Just the facts:
    I did not vote for President Obama, not because he is black, but because I did my research and decided that he would be the poorest social engineer in the history of the United States.
    The books that he himself wrote helped me to decide that collectively he would not be the best choice, not that McCain was either. I don’t give a rat’s ass if the person is black, white or pea-green. I want the best leader for the country. Not an individual that goes around the world (at $100,000 per hour for airfare) apologizing for the United States;
    Cairo, Saudi Arabia, Afghanistan etc.

Fact: In response to comment about Michelle: Michelle Obama has the largest staff of any first lady, 24 and counting.
    Laura Bush 18
    Hillary Clinton 19, and on down the line. Mamie Eisenhower had one.
    Michelle Obama travels with a make-up artist/hair dresser for events. Name of make-up artist is Ingrid Grimes-Myles.

Fact: The Obamas have not spent one Christmas at the White House or Camp David, the only Presidential family not to do so, including the Clintons who did. Lot’s of $$$$ to travel to Hawaii. What is wrong with staying a the WH for a Christmas?
    Fact: Vacations: The Obamas have spent more on vacations than either Clinton or Bush combined. The Clintons stayed with friends, both Bushes retreated to home bases, Maine or Texas.

Fact: The Obamas have spent triple what Bush 2 did in 8 years for White House parties. Every week it is a social gathering for democrat friends of the Obamas. During Bush 2 tenure it was lights out at 9PM. Basically fiscal responsibility and saving the taxpayer dollar is a do as I say not as I do.

Fact: Obama is selling out the United States. Obama’s State Department is giving away seven strategic, resource-laden Alaskan islands to the Russians, with Americans living on Rangel. Look it up. He could stop the give-away but probably won’t unless Americans start sending letters to their congressional leaders. Jobs and money going to Russia.

Fact: Obama devastated NASA and the surrounding economy. 28,000 jobs lost and small nearby towns now ghost towns. I’ll bet they don’t vote for Obama! (Good expose on 60 Minutes)

Fact: The keystone pipe-line. More jobs lost and the oil now going to go to the west coast of Canada and overseas. If he had said yes that would have created a stir and oil/gas prices would have dropped.

Fact: Gas has more than doubled since 2009. How about that
    ?

Fact: Secretary of Energy Chu and Interior Secretary Salazar want gas to hit the $8 to 10 per gallon range

I've got more facts - just wanted to show some facts that most aren't even willing to believe.
  • soulbrother
    soulbrother Members Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @heyslick...since you're pretty good with the facts..can you dig up some research on how many jobs were being lost per month pre January 2009 and see how many jobs are currently being added every month since the 2008 election.
  • Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    yeah, I agree with what everyone's said so far (with heyslick as a notable exception). That was just stupid, sleazy, and just barely humorous - even for a politician's standards. This election is going to be even dumber than the last.
  • Plutarch
    edited August 2012
    Options
    hate to contribute to a derailment of this thread, but I wanted to address this.
    Just the facts:
    I did not vote for President Obama, not because he is black, but because I did my research and decided that he would be the poorest social engineer in the history of the United States.
    The books that he himself wrote helped me to decide that collectively he would not be the best choice, not that McCain was either. I don’t give a rat’s ass if the person is black, white or pea-green. I want the best leader for the country. Not an individual that goes around the world (at $100,000 per hour for airfare) apologizing for the United States;
    Cairo, Saudi Arabia, Afghanistan etc.

I respect your color blindness, but you seem to be exaggerating things as if Obama is going to be the death of this country. And I don't know how you could justify voting for McCain if you did. McCain would've been Obama x10, no? Obama has doen bad things, but you can't ignore the good. See homeboy's post about the jobs he has created in such a short amount of time. The man's trying. Do you think that it's possible that all that flight time Obama is taking is actually worth it? America is a big player in international affairs you know.
    Fact: In response to comment about Michelle: Michelle Obama has the largest staff of any first lady, 24 and counting.
    Laura Bush 18
    Hillary Clinton 19, and on down the line. Mamie Eisenhower had one.
    Michelle Obama travels with a make-up artist/hair dresser for events. Name of make-up artist is Ingrid Grimes-Myles.

Why does this matter??? Am I missing something here? My ? , the First Lady has 6 more staff members than the last First Lady! America's going to hell!
    Fact: The Obamas have not spent one Christmas at the White House or Camp David, the only Presidential family not to do so, including the Clintons who did. Lot’s of $$$$ to travel to Hawaii. What is wrong with staying a the WH for a Christmas?

Again, seems very irrelevant to me. Who cares.
    Fact: Vacations: The Obamas have spent more on vacations than either Clinton or Bush combined. The Clintons stayed with friends, both Bushes retreated to home bases, Maine or Texas.

If this is true, then, maybe at the worst, you can say that they're spendthrifts - which is a "bad" thing. But it doesn't mean that they're poor government public officials. It's neither a display of criminality or incompetence. Maybe they deserve the vacations or need the stress-free time?
    Fact: The Obamas have spent triple what Bush 2 did in 8 years for White House parties. Every week it is a social gathering for democrat friends of the Obamas. During Bush 2 tenure it was lights out at 9PM. Basically fiscal responsibility and saving the taxpayer dollar is a do as I say not as I do.

Who doesnt like to party every now and then? No but seriously, perhaps Bush was merely the exception? Lights out at 9pm? Who does that?
    Fact: Obama is selling out the United States. Obama’s State Department is giving away seven strategic, resource-laden Alaskan islands to the Russians, with Americans living on Rangel. Look it up. He could stop the give-away but probably won’t unless Americans start sending letters to their congressional leaders. Jobs and money going to Russia.

If something sounds odd, then there's probably more to it. And this sounds odd. I'm going to guess that Obama's doing this for a (good) reason.
    Fact: Obama devastated NASA and the surrounding economy. 28,000 jobs lost and small nearby towns now ghost towns. I’ll bet they don’t vote for Obama! (Good expose on 60 Minutes)

Yes, of course. We should vote for presidential candidates that only help us. We should not vote for presidential candidates that help all Americans especially since that means that we might have to suffer a little.
    Fact: The keystone pipe-line. More jobs lost and the oil now going to go to the west coast of Canada and overseas. If he had said yes that would have created a stir and oil/gas prices would have dropped.

Seems like more of an opinion than a fact here.
    Fact: Gas has more than doubled since 2009. How about that?

You're not seriosuly going to blame Obama for this are you?
    Fact: Secretary of Energy Chu and Interior Secretary Salazar want gas to hit the $8 to 10 per gallon range

Oh really?
    I've got more facts - just wanted to show some facts that most aren't even willing to believe.

I think that these facts are little more complicated than you might think.
  • heyslick
    Options
    Plutarch said
    respect your color blindness, but you seem to be exaggerating things as if Obama is going to be the death of this country. And I don't know how you could justify voting for McCain if you did. McCain would've been Obama x10, no? Obama has doen bad things, but you can't ignore the good. See homeboy's post about the jobs he has created in such a short amount of time. The man's trying. Do you think that it's possible that all that flight time Obama is taking is actually worth it? America is a big player in international affairs you know

I'm NOT exaggerating - he's determined to transform America - & his policies reflect that...do some research - did you forget about the information superhighway? BTW President Obama says what HE WANTS TO SAY & has never once apologized for words spoken in haste - there's NO HUMILITY about this man whatsoever...hes got to much pride and hes to damn arrogant to understand words have consequences. This one right here speaks for itself - you didn't build that A real man would've just said 'SORRY' I misspoke - BUT NOT this man - hell no! IMO he wants the lazy ? to believe others don't work hard & those who start a businesses aren't smart...WOW such great leadership! WTF???
  • whar
    whar Members Posts: 347 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Your facts are wrong Heyslick.

By 31 months in office Bill Clinton had taken 28 days vacation, Obama 61, George W 18.

http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-18563_162-20093801.html

Obama is not giving away 7 Alaskan Islands

http://www.factcheck.org/2012/03/alaskan-island-giveaway/

State_Department_Map.png

The islands were never claims by the US.

Not sure of the rest but if the 2 I picked are this wrong the rest probably are ? too.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Romney is detached from the rest of human life. I swear that George Jetson looking ? isn't human.
  • huey
    huey Members Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i read the thread title like juvenile
  • Plutarch
    edited August 2012
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    Romney is detached from the rest of human life. I swear that George Jetson looking ? isn't human.

lmao
    freehuey89 wrote: »
    i read the thread title like juvenile

lmao, I just got that. went over my head the first time. lmao.
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Options
    This isn't just a stupid joke. As a presidential candidate, your campaign along with your speeches and off handed comments are planned. His handlers back him 100% with this nonsense because they too believe in it as all republicans.. Republican isn't even a party anymore, it's an invasive old boys club that is attempting to co-opt our society and turn it into a fascist theocracy. He's going in harder with these comments by now linking state welfare waivers to black welfare queens by accusing Obama of attempting to "Shore up his base" by offering such waivers.
  • 90's Golden Era
    90's Golden Era Members Posts: 38
    Options
    you have to pander to your base at the end of the day. Even if that base is full of bigots.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    FuriousOne wrote: »
    As a presidential candidate, your campaign along with your speeches and off handed comments are planned.
    they SHOULD be, but people will always say stupid ? out of nowhere

• kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Options
    you have to pander to your base at the end of the day. Even if that base is full of bigots.

Pretty much. Romney knows exactly what he's doing, as a Republican, he probably did the right thing. Even I laughed for a moment at the joke.
  • heyslick
    Options
    whar wrote: »
    Your facts are wrong Heyslick.

By 31 months in office Bill Clinton had taken 28 days vacation, Obama 61, George W 18.

http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-18563_162-20093801.html

Obama is not giving away 7 Alaskan Islands

http://www.factcheck.org/2012/03/alaskan-island-giveaway/

State_Department_Map.png

The islands were never claims by the US.

Not sure of the rest but if the 2 I picked are this wrong the rest probably are ? too.

I don't trust this man/President Obama - he insults and deceives/lies to his fellow Americans every chance he gets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXFHtOgYu6k
  • heyslick
    Options
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Options
    janklow wrote: »
    FuriousOne wrote: »
    As a presidential candidate, your campaign along with your speeches and off handed comments are planned.
    they SHOULD be, but people will always say stupid ? out of nowhere

Romney has always been very careful with his words even when they contradict what he said earlier. They plan to say certain things which are thought initially to be an intelligent maneuver but end up being asinine and divisive. Trump started out saying he was joking when he went there. Romney was testing the water and throwing out dog whistles. It all fits in with their racial ? stirring along with the voter ID laws and all the other regressive ? they been pushing.