Euthanasia: Yay or Nay

Options
Plutarch
Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2012 in The Social Lounge
I'm not exactly sure where I stand on this issue, but I seem to be leaning towards supporting euthanasia. I think there's only one state in America that hasn't outlawed it, so it's safe to say that it's pretty much illegal in America.

But I was thinking for a minute. This may be fallacious reasoning here, but how is euthanasia okay for animals, but not okay for humans? It's perfectly fine to mercifully "? " a dog or horse because it's in pain or dying, but it's illegal to do the same for humans? So we can be humane to dogs, but we can't be humane to humans? Doesn't sound right to me.

Don't get me wrong. I don't believe in suicide. I personally think that suicide is the stupidest mistake a human can make. But under certain circumstances, I just don't know. Regardless, America is supposed to be about liberty. If a man wants to end his life (without going on a shooting spree), how is that a crime? I don't believe in "victimless" crimes.

Comments

• jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I believe in it to be honest. I think a consenting adult that is mentally competent should be able to make the decision to end their own lives on their own terms.

I'm thinking along the lines of the terminally ill and the elderly.

A lot of people don't want to suffer for months/years on medicines that don't work or only relieve pain temporarily.

The reason a lot of people are against it are of course religion, insurance, the doctor's mental health, and it would take a lot of legalese to clear doctors from getting charges filed against them by upset families.

But it should be totally legal and an option for terminally ill people.
  • Bussy_Getta
    Bussy_Getta Members Posts: 37,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It should be legal but American is on its religious/make money ? so that'll never happen. Drug company's make money off the living not the dead.
  • Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    man wtf??!!!^^^^^^^
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I agree with Covet, but damn that sig smh....
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? this. People can't tell other people when they can/can not die. I'm not a fan a suicide and I actually think it's a coward's way out, but you can't catch feelings if people give other people permission to end their pain.

If that was the case, there would never be a DNR clause on orders.
  • sully
    sully Members, Writer Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? this. People can't tell other people when they can/can not die. I'm not a fan a suicide and I actually think it's a coward's way out, but you can't catch feelings if people give other people permission to end their pain.

If that was the case, there would never be a DNR clause on orders.

DNR's and Advanced directives are distinct from euthanasia. The difference basically comes down to the physician actively taking a role in ending life in a patients' life (euthanasia) versus following the legal wishes of a patient to not have care when their heart or respiratory system begins to fail or if they're in a coma (DNR's & Advanced directives).
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2012
    Options
    I was arguing with my girl at the time about this. She said she's not with it because people aren't in their right mind to make a sound decision. I think it was personal for her cause shorty was bipolar and thought about killing herself so i don't think that opinion applies to chronic pain sufferers. On the flip side, medicines to help people like that are being worked on as we speak but who's to say people should suffer in hope. I would figure, a psychiatrist should be a part of the decision making if a patient wants to end their life for pain and anguish reasons.
  • Plutarch
    Options
    ^^^ yeah that's deep. i never thought about it that way.
  • MissK
    MissK Members Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If I was suffering and or dying from an incurable disease I would want this option. I have seen family die this way and it is not how I want to spend whatever would be left of my life.

I agree, it could and would be abused or used as an excuse for murder. Does anyone recall the controversy with Dr. J. Kevorkian?

Also, suicide is often misunderstood-many choosing this route are in unspeakable pain and don't make this decision lightly. (exceptions to that of course) They often feel that they are actually helping their loved ones by removing themselves as a burden-and this way of thinking is very hard for those that have never suffered with mental disorders.

Death is complicated by religious beliefs and it is further complicated by our fear of the unknown.
  • Plutarch
    Options
    ^^^ yes i 100% agree. that is the sad and difficult truth
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kevorkian had multiple ? ups and he basically flaunted his ability to circumvent law.

1-- he helped a diagnosed mentally ill patient ? themselves.
    2-- he actually killed someone when they were unable to do it themselves.

He was convicted on the second one
    The act marked a milestone in Kevorkian's tireless crusade to legalize euthanasia. He himself injected Youk with the fatal drug cocktail, rather than employing his so-called suicide machine, which allowed about 130 other patients to administer the drugs themselves.

http://www.google.com/gwt/x?gl=US&hl=en-US&u=http://articles.latimes.com/1999/mar/27/news/mn-21444&client=ms-rim&q=kevorkian+convicted&sa=X&ei=xdE_UJGMN6SCyAG3roGAAQ&ved=0CCkQFjAE

Kevorkian wasn't the only doctor that helped patients ? themselves though. There were many others who signed prescriptions for drugs their patients and knew those patients where going to ? themselves with them.

Kevorkian crossed the line from PASSIVE euthanasia to ACTIVE euthanasia and the law called it murder.
  • orion4bbw
    orion4bbw Members Posts: 44 ✭✭
    Options
    I believe in euthanasia, if someone has been proven to be of sound mind to make such a decision !!!

When the quality of life becomes unbearable, and that person decides that life is no longer worth it. They should have that right to make such a decision.

I think the issue with it lies in religion and also setting a precedence.

Some find it scary to offer euthanasia as an option to end ones suffering, such an option might make the value of life seem a little .... less.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I am pro suicide. Its a man's choice and if a man needs assistance with it i see nothing wrong with it provided he wants it